Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

MANUAL TRANS Indiglo Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2003, 06:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by DuB
Bob, exactly which gauges are these for? Would it be the silver faced ones? Do you know if he would be able to make black faced ones by any chance? Or white would be ok too.
The original plan was for white faced reverse-indiglo gauges for the manual trans (96-98 in my case) 4runner.
Old 05-25-2003, 07:18 PM

Bob,
That is cool that you are close with that manufacturer. It occurs to me however, that it might still be better to go with speedhut. They are more(approx $100), granted, but as I understand it there are some real advantages to the speedhut deal:

only 20 orders required
Each person can pick their own look once tooling is complete.(colors, logos, designs, reverse/Indiglo, ect)
No pre-payment--You place your order, but are not billed until the deal goes through, and the gauges are made.
IMO the speedhuts look like much higher quality than the e-bay.

Let me know if I'm in error or overlooked something, but I might still vote for speedhut.....

Last edited by Sucellus; 05-25-2003 at 07:26 PM.
Old 05-25-2003, 07:25 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Bob_98SR5
Denver,

Since Mad Chemist's post, I'm interested in them too. I checked out the ProCarParts auction he won and the company is only 2.5 miles from my work. If you'd like and other people are interested, I could swing by and see if these folks are up for a group buy. Of course, I don't think the discount would be too big as they are about $25 online, but hey, its worth a shot.

If 8 or more people express interest in either auto or 5 speed gauges, I''ll be more than happy to go by and talk some bid-ness with them.

Bob
Count me in Bob!!!! oh by the way, I'm not interested if it is the white face. I want a black face reverse indiglo. white face makes me feel like I should be in the fast and the furryass with a little rice burner and an annoying high pitched buzzing exhaust.

thanks dude.

Last edited by keisur; 05-25-2003 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-25-2003, 09:10 PM
DuB

Originally posted by Sucellus
Bob,
That is cool that you are close with that manufacturer. It occurs to me however, that it might still be better to go with speedhut. They are more(approx $100), granted, but as I understand it there are some real advantages to the speedhut deal:

only 20 orders required
Each person can pick their own look once tooling is complete.(colors, logos, designs, reverse/Indiglo, ect)
No pre-payment--You place your order, but are not billed until the deal goes through, and the gauges are made.
IMO the speedhuts look like much higher quality than the e-bay.

Let me know if I'm in error or overlooked something, but I might still vote for speedhut.....
Speedhut's gauges don't have any red in them at night. I don't really like that. Also, it seems that speedhut uses their own font, where procarparts copies the stock gauge. I don't know about quality, but procarparts' gauges seem pretty nice.

Bob, did you say they need $800 to start? At speedhut's price of $120, you'd only need 7 people to get that $800, and the 8 of you can have it the style you want. Plus, you'd have an extra set of gauges you could sell to make some $$ back

Personally, I think speedhut offers a unique service, but at too high of a price. And I still wouldn't be getting exactly what I wanted
Old 05-25-2003, 09:27 PM

Hey, good points DUB!

I guess what got me wondering about the quality of procarparts is that I think some of the indicator lights were reversed (though this might have been due to a difference in whatever gauge they used to mold the thing). Also, I think in some writeups I saw, you had to enlarge the screw holes to get it to lay flat?

When you say that those of us with the initial order can get them how we like, what does that mean? Is it like speedhut where some people can get black-faced, and some white faced?
Old 05-25-2003, 10:14 PM

Dub:

Check Speedhut again. They offer "red" digits/letters at night plus offer a selection of fonts to choose from.
Old 05-26-2003, 03:21 AM
DuB

Yeah, I've looked at them before. I'd get a black face with white letters probably in Eurostyle. But the thing I was talking about is the red on the redline. At night, only the white would glow. On procarpart's reverse indiglos, the red on the redline glows red at night.

Sucellus, I meant that at the price Speedhut charges, you would only need 7 people to start the tooling rather than speedhut's 20.

*edit* wrong thread. lol

Last edited by DuB; 05-26-2003 at 07:32 AM.
Old 05-26-2003, 06:57 AM

So if you only need 7 orders with Speedhut, then why are the late 3rd gens. having such a hard time getting their orders? It's bounced around from 10 to 15 for what seems like a year now. I'd be just as happy with the procarparts one if it didn't have the auto tranny indicator. :pat:
Old 05-26-2003, 07:33 AM
DuB

I was referring to procarparts' gauges. Speedhut requires 20 orders to start tooling. Procarparts requires $800. I was trying to say that procarpart is more affordable, but you don't get the choice of having a totally custom set of gauges. I think I made a bad point because no one understands what I'm trying to say. Please disregard my babble :wtf:
Old 05-26-2003, 08:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Guys,

Ok, lemme clarify what I'm going to do. Yes, Procarparts said their min buy was $800 but lemme see if they can reduce that. Furthermore if that doesn't work, lemme see if they'll be willing to put a group buy together at a significantly less min buy.

Also, let me see what they have available as there are folks here w/ different wish lists in terms of styles.

Sucellus, Dub, et al: I'd prefer black face w/ green lettering. I believe speedhut has that style too. But again, lemme see what they have.

Also in regards to the Speedhut group buy, isn't it for late 3rd gens, 99-02? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Bob
Old 05-26-2003, 09:47 AM

Bob,
Yes, the current speedhut group buy is for the later style gagues. However, I don't see any reason we could not set up another group buy with them for the earlier ones, if we thought that was the right way to go.

If procarparts is capable of catering to our individual desires and has good quality though, that would be way cool! They certainly have much better prices, and I'd like to avoid the purgatory to which the 99-02 group buy seems to have been sentenced.

Dub,
I see what you are saying. In the reverse-indiglow style from speedhut there is no red at night. Only in the Indiglo does some red show up.
Old 05-26-2003, 09:48 AM

I personnally would perfer exactly what is being offered by Pro Car parts right now, white face that glows blue letters at night, just w/o the auto indicators. If we really want to get guages that dont have the auto indicators I really think we should request their same design, that way they only have to make minor changes to what they have now. If we start requesting black face and other things i dont think they will go for it because that is basically a whole different guage, not a modification of the original one. The cost do design a whole new one rather than modifying what they have probably wouldnt go with them, i could be wrong though.
Old 05-26-2003, 09:51 AM

Originally posted by Sucellus
Bob,
Yes, the current speedhut group buy is for the later style gagues. However, I don't see any reason we could not set up another group buy with them for the earlier ones, if we thought that was the right way to go.
This ebay auction has perfect timming, anyone want to take the plunge and buy the cluster and send it to Speed Hut for the development program?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2416885961
Old 05-26-2003, 11:28 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Nolan
white face that glows blue letters at night, just w/o the auto indicators. If we really want to get guages that dont have the auto indicators I really think we should request their same design,
then scratch me off the list. my runner is all black, no chrome or anything, and I want to keep the faces as close to stock as possible, meaning black faced with blue. no white face bling-bling for me. count me out.
Old 05-26-2003, 11:30 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Nolan
This ebay auction has perfect timming, anyone want to take the plunge and buy the cluster and send it to Speed Hut for the development program?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2416885961

I think it's already been set by bob on this deal that pro car parts is the way this grouper is going. plus they are cheaper than the 130 dollar tag on the speedhut versions. you should post this on the speedhut group buy thread and that would also help keep it on the top of the stack so more people may join in for you guys to hit the 20 order minimum.

Last edited by keisur; 05-26-2003 at 11:32 AM.