Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

looking for clear tailights

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 04:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd gen(1996-2002) taillights are all over the place. It's the 2nd gen(1990-1995) ones that are hard to find.
Old 05-25-2005, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by hafftrak
3rd gen(1996-2002) taillights are all over the place. It's the 2nd gen(1990-1995) ones that are hard to find.
i know, you think it would be so easy to make some clear taillights. Just don't paint them/dye them or whatever they do...
Old 05-26-2005, 05:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dragon564
Blizzard... What I have on order for me is a 3 light kit...the Japan Model has a amber light unit in the front fenders. I have not seen this light on any of the Canada or U.S. models. All Japan spec right hand drive cars have some type of amber turn signal light that can be seen from the side Some have them built in to the corner lamp up front (that wedge thing that sticks out, and some have the light unit in the fender in between the front door line and behind the front tire. So the 6 lamp kit has the 2 ea rear tail light with the half clear (amber bulb required) and half red set up (dual filiament clear 1 for brake one for park) and reverse lamp clear area/ The side marker turn lamp (amber bulb required) clear front turn signal unit (amber bulb required) The bulb requirements listed are for lawful operation in Japan. The kit is Yen 182,000 at a 1 yen equal 1 yen exchange rate it is $182.00 The catalog I was looking at had just the tail lights for Yen 132,000 they also had an offering for an all clear set up. Let me get mine in so I can post some pics.....And yes I know the light units are the same for both the U.S. and Japan models.....Over here the folks that do not have the high mount spare have put the light unit with the rev light and then turned the normal in the tail gate lights into some off roading lights for the back...pretty handy ideal......At any rate after I get mine in I might be able to figure out who is making them and how you folks in the States can order direct.....
DEFINATELY keep us posted!! What else does this catalog have in it? Any 24v 3vzes?
Old 05-27-2005, 12:51 PM

I in no way mean to flame or make anyone mad, but from what I have read clear taillights (with no red reflectors) are illegal in all 50 states. So are any lights on the front or rear that are any color other than amber, white, yellow or red.

Now, that said, there is nothing keeping you from installing clear taillights on your vehicle BUT, you leave yourself open for anything. In order for a police officer to pull you over they must have probable cause. By running an illegal item on your vehicle, you are allowing them instant probable cause. Myself, I don't want to make it any easier for them to pull me over.

I am all about customizing a vehicle to make it ‘yours’; I am just not about doing things that can cause me grief.

You won’t see too many police pulling people over for these simple violations, but they can . . .

SLG
Old 05-27-2005, 01:38 PM
Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
i work for a small police agency, and yes the clears may be PC, but at the same time, if the police want PC to pull you over, they will find it. there are so many things that can be used to get PC. and to be even more detailed, only white or amber are allowed up front, and white, amber and red, (i am not sure about yellow) are allowed in the rear.

PC for my truck include:
-no rear licence plate lights (wireing isses)
-KC's are uncovered (any light above head light level, and greater then 55W must be covered when on road)
-no mud flaps
-no front licence plate

and these are things i can think of right off the top of my head... there probably a couple more.

Last edited by ToferUOP; 05-27-2005 at 01:42 PM.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:19 PM

update

Gents,

I stopped by the shop today (4x4 World) they called the shipping company and my light kit will be here on Thursday 2 June. While I was there I looked through the catalog again and found the clear ones with a web site www.nazca-inc.com I checked it out mostly a Japanese site and the clear lens are not shown on the web site. I used bable fish to translate it. I had a friend call and they say that they do have them. Cost is right around $250.00.
The total price on the kit that will be here Thursday was YEN 31,500 the tail lamp only is yen 18,900 for the clear/red with clear back up light so they do seem a little bit pricey......

Bumpin...no that catalog does not have any real tune up parts to speak of....high end coils, caps, rotors, and plugs but nothing major. thye have other catalogs that have some high end engine parts but the selection of 3vz is very limited. You folks only think the eng has a poor rep in the states. The way things work over here that engine that engine is dreaded and some shops just will not do any work on them. I have found a much lager selection of parts (higher end and "stock") on-line in the states. As for the 24 valve they have those in the states it is the 3vzfe found in some Camry's. I have only found one shop in Japan that will do a turn key swap on this engine and they are asking for yen 600,000, and they will only do it on a 5 speed. From what they told me the 4runner uses the same ECU for both engine and tranny and the camry has a very different tranny than the 4runner so it can not be done on the automatics, I asked about retunning the camry ecu to make it work the 4runner tranny....TOOOOO MUCH MONEY the 5 speeds have no electronics....any way the tranny bolt patter for a 5 speed camry is the same as for the 5 speed runner. I have never seen a 5 spped camry, but then again I never really looked for one either.....I will post pics of the light kit out of the box and then on the truck.....
Old 06-02-2005, 05:49 AM

Talking I got mine in

Originally Posted by bike4miles
The more I look at thes the more I think they are the best looking 2nd gen tails I have ever seen. Wish I had the cash to buy them.

Folks I got my clear tail lights in. Okay the entire kit came in and I put it on the truck. You will have to PM me for the real pictures since I can not seem to get them to post here (too big) or tell me a web site that I can upload them to and I am more than willing to provide thwm for all to see. but they look just like these.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by dragon564
Folks I got my clear tail lights in. Okay the entire kit came in and I put it on the truck. You will have to PM me for the real pictures since I can not seem to get them to post here (too big) or tell me a web site that I can upload them to and I am more than willing to provide thwm for all to see. but they look just like these.
Photobucket.com
Old 06-22-2005, 07:07 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 4RunnerKid
someone posted these in another thread...
I can get you these lights. I think I can do them for around $100 for the pair as a special deal to this forum. I have some here. I can't guarantee the quality, the chrome ones on the inside edges may no be perfect, but if you aren't too anal you will like them.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:45 AM

i might be able to get those cheaper.. but, im still waiting on my shipment.. (damn customs).. so im not 100% sure if they are the right ones. (was promised this week, although, i been promised weekly for the past 4 weeks, lol)
Old 08-10-2005, 11:35 PM

i am trying to post this all over the forum. email apc at customer_service@4apc.net and request them. i did and they said that they never get requests for them. they said that they would keep my email on file incase they get other requests for the same. everyone needs to email the hell out of them to get them in production.
Old 09-13-2005, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by bigdob04
i am trying to post this all over the forum. email apc at customer_service@4apc.net and request them. i did and they said that they never get requests for them. they said that they would keep my email on file incase they get other requests for the same. everyone needs to email the hell out of them to get them in production.
I emailed them and demanded CLEAR TAILIGHTS NOW!!!!
hope it helps
Old 02-08-2006, 01:09 AM

DAMN!!! reading this thread about clear tail lights makes me think I put a gun to the guy's head that I bought my clears from on ebay. I only paid about $40 shipped for mine used in the begining of 05. mine came from Cali and were painted red at the bottom but it wasn't anything that mineral spirts couldn't solve. I had like ten e-mails after the auction from people wanting to buy them from me. I had an offer of 120 + shipping but I turned him down. I am wanting to upgrade to altezza lights so if anyone on here can get them I would sell my all clears for what I paid for them. I have the red LED bulbs in mine and have had them on for a year and have never been pulled over because of them or got a ticket.(knock on wood) If you can still get the altezza style p.m. me or post back. Thanks-Josh
Old 02-08-2006, 02:03 AM

reserve the tail lights to me please. I want it!