Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Lexus GX470 VS 4th Generation 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2004, 06:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lexus GX470 VS 4th Generation 4runner

I know they use the same engine, transmission, transfer case, driveline, differentials, axles, frame, and have the same traction control goodies. The only difference I know of is some of the luxury goodies and the sheet metal looks different. Oh I almost forgot the $16K more I would of had to pay for the Lexus name

Anybody know of any real difference that might make it worth that additional $16K+???
Old 04-03-2004, 07:28 AM
Contributing Member

the label it's all about the label....
Old 04-03-2004, 08:23 AM
Contributing Member

It may just be the label, but there are some other things that go into it. Can't you raise and lower the suspension on the GX? Also the ride quality of the GX felt better to me, didn't feel any roid noise or vibration. It was like you were riding in a sealed box. The 4th gen 4runner was great too, but in about a month or two when I get ready to get another car, one of the ones I'm considering is the GX. Also I think it looks a lot nicer then the runner. But thats just a personal opinion.

Edit: I just want to add that this next car I'm getting is strictly for street use, never to be driven in snow. I got the runner for all that. So that might sway your decision a little.

Last edited by sdastg1; 04-03-2004 at 08:28 AM.
Old 04-03-2004, 08:25 AM

I suggest looking at a LTD w/ leather and then the LX to compare the interiors. The GX in my opinion is more lux. I don't need that and don't see the reason to pay that much more for the same vehicle. I also like the look of the 4Runner better than the GX. Obviously the GX comes standard with many more features than the 4Runner other than the interior. Interestingly the GX gets lower mpgs, I believe it is heavier. I wholely recommend a 4Runner Sport Edition...I can cruise the twisties with relative confidence and then climb to the top of a mountain in 4 low all in the space of a few minutes and the cost was in the low, low $30k range.
Old 04-03-2004, 08:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sdastg1
...any roid noise...
Your roids make noise? That must be embarassing.
Old 04-03-2004, 08:35 AM
Contributing Member

sorry can't spell. Its an occupational handicap.

Hopefully the next version of yotatech comes with a spell checker
Old 04-03-2004, 09:06 AM
Contributing Member

The Lexus interior isdefintely upscale to the Toyota. It also has better insulation for noise and vibration (thicker windshield and a couple of other goodies). It is sort of like a super luxury 4Runner. Positioned as the luxury SUV while the Runner is more sport focussed. I think the Lexus is a couple of hunderd punds heavier due to the xtra isolation and luxuries. Oh forgot, it also has an adaptive suspension which can go harder and softer pending on the road for a smoother ride.

The best part is that you get to del with Lexus dealerships and not Toyota stealerships (probably worth at least 5K).

I would really love to own one, but will feel to sorryfor it to go on trials with it.

Incidently that is the body shape which they used for the Toyota Prado in AUstralia and SOuth Africa, where there is no Lexus GX (or midrange SUV).
Old 04-03-2004, 09:58 AM

You can only raise and lower the rear suspension and the ride adjustment is just adjustable shocks. I drove a GX470 and then the 4runner with the Xreas system and I thought the runner felt better than the GX at any setting. I know you can order the GX with the Xreas system, don't know how that works with the adjustable shocks??? The GX weighes around 500 lbs more because it is taller more sheet metal and all the luxury stuff weighes something also. I just kinda got a kick out of the fact that you could by a 4runner and get all of the important stuff, engine, trans, etc. and save $16K+. Now think about this for a minute. Would you pay $16K more for the wood trim and softer leather?? Most people wouldn't. But most people think that the GX470 is not the same vehicle as the 4runner since it looks different. Most people are not like us, who are into vehicles and do our home work. I am sure it is the same deal with computers. I don't know squat about computers. I bought an HP, since it was a name brand. But I am sure their are plenty of people out there that can get a lot more computer for their money than I did, because they are into computers.
Old 04-03-2004, 02:08 PM
Contributing Member

I agree that's why I got a Runner. It serves my purpose better, want to go explore and do some trails that can invoke some scratches, etc to the Runner. WOuldn't do it with a Lexus. Also it is a bit lighter and faster than the Lexus and a lot cheaper.

But if you are not inot a sport of SUV and more LUV (luxury) I think the Lexus would be better. It felt to me to have some more headroom and just felt more luxurioes inside adn while driving.

These things are very subjective, but I think both are great vehicles depends on what you want and want to pay

The one thing is that I drove luxury brands before (BMW and Volvo not so much Volvo as luxury ) and the dealership experience is from another world. In terms of service, sales everything. If I didn't like the 4Runner so much compared to other SUV's I would have just walked out and NEVER go back to the Toyota dealer. To me it felt worse than a cheap secondhand car lot and their service cant compare with upmarket dealers. They just do not seem in the same class, and that to me is part of the overall experience of a vehicle. I would recommend the DIY route for Toyota maintenance, but you still have to deal with people that seem to be driving tractors when you take it back for warranty issues. They dont hear rattles, squeekes, jerks on the driveline and seem to try and sell BS stuff all the time. All vehicles have some problems it is the way you handle it that is important, I know I'm full of ˟˟˟˟˟ when it comes to cars, but I expected better from the Toyota dealers. That to me is worth some money in vehicle price as it addsto the ownership experience in the long run. My 2c.

I still love the product though, getting factory manual and will fix it myself or diag the problems and take to dealer to fix, not what you would expect if you pay $38k for a SUV with a maintenance contract. I hope Toyota reads this board and start fixing these issues.
Old 04-03-2004, 03:56 PM

I agree the Toyota dealers suck for service and the sales experience at Lexus along with the way they treat you in service is in a class by itself. I bought a 92 Lexus SC400 when they first came out. Traded it for a 94 Lexus LS400 and my wife drove a 92 Lexus ES300. Problem is that you should get treated like a King based on the price you pay for the vehicle and the cost of service. In 1996 when I had Hennesy Lexus do the 90K mile service on my wifes ES300 they forgot to put oil in the engine after the oil and filter change I drove off the lot and the oil light came on . Long story short you have to watch all of them. I now always check the oil after every service before I drive off.
Old 04-04-2004, 11:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Toyota service sucks but Nissan sucks worse

Toyota Basic Warranty, 3 years 36k
Lexus Basic Warranty, 4 years 50k

Toyota Powertrain Warranty, 5 years 60k
Lexus Powertrain Warranty, 7 years 70k

Their are other things the Lexus has over the Toy but it comes down to the features and the almighty dollar