Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

HELP!! Can't get inner seal out or brake line to plug!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 04:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation ASAP HELP!! Can't get inner seal out or brake line to plug!!!

Guys help!!! I have been reading about changing my inner seal and I started today, but I can't get the old seal out and I can't get the damn brake line to stop leaking. How can I get the seal out. I have tryed the flat head screw driver and it just wont budge. The seal is starting to deform, but the collar part couching the axil housing wont move. On top of that I can't get the brake line to plug. HOW DO YOU GUYS PLUG IT!!!

Quick before I run out of brake fluid, My roommate is sitting here with is thumb in the line as I type this!!

Thanks,

Erich

Last edited by Erich_870; 02-07-2004 at 05:04 PM.
Old 02-07-2004, 05:15 PM

To get a seal out i use a big flat screwdriver . Or. You can bash the seal in on the edge so the seal distorts and then you can pry it out easier. Dont be afraid to completely destroy the seal to get it out. When i did my seals i didnt remove the brake line. Reconnect it if you can .
Old 02-07-2004, 05:23 PM

ok, I got the seal out by just ripping and twisting with pliers. And the break line had to come off the get the wheel and axil out so I don't know how you did it.

How do I get the seal back in? I can't get it to sit flat, it barely goes in and then when it does its not true.

Old 02-07-2004, 07:11 PM

Make sure the seal surface is clean and with no burs, parts of old seal etc. I always clean surfaces with fine emery cloth then brake cleaner. You know from removal that the space is very tight. Next set the seal in place as tune as you can and fine a piece of wood which will cover the whole seal surface. Tap it into place checking that it is true every few taps. Tap on the side that is not going in. Take it slow it will seat.
good luck and happy wrenching
Nathan
Old 02-07-2004, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by zedex
When i did my seals i didnt remove the brake line. Reconnect it if you can .
how did you do that?
Old 02-07-2004, 08:13 PM

I was talking outer seals.And more specifically, front dif

Last edited by zedex; 02-07-2004 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-07-2004, 08:31 PM

I was talking outer seals.
ohhh, ok.

Well, I got the new seal in, thanks for all your advice, I was kinda freaking out. I really wanted to rip that sucker out with pliers but I was afraid I would mess up the seat. I ended up using pliers. Then I went really slow and used a board and rubber mallet to put the new seal in. I had to have my roommate support the axil and brake plate while I slipped it in. That thing is too heavy and akward for one person the first time. I'm pretty sure we didn't do any damage to the rubber on the seal. Tomorrow I will finish bleeding the breaks and get it all wraped up. It is still so darn cold here I can't get anything done on in my garage.

Thanks guys,

Erich
Old 02-09-2004, 08:29 AM

Thanks for all your help guys. I got it done yesturday. My breaks are still totally messed up. I know I need a break job, you should have seen how much diff oil was there! I was surprised though how little it took to fill my diff back up. I have a feeling that all the oil that remained in my diff had settled back to the bottom over night so I'm going to get under there again and try to see if it will take any more after I have driven around a bit and forced more oil to the ends of the axel.

I blead my brakes so I could drive it till I had time again to get new shoes on it, but the breaks are soft now and I can pump them once and the get firm again. Does that mean that I didn't get all the air out or is it caused by the adjuster on the breaks. There is that dial sort of thing that has a ratcht on it. I had to fiddle wit that to get the brake shoes to come together so the drum would fit back on. And now my parking brake is barely holding. I'm parking on flat spots or with my tires agains the concrete parking curbs for now.

Erich
Old 02-09-2004, 09:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
if your brakes are soft still.....you just need to bleed them again. then you should feel more firmness when you stomp the pedal. by the way, to keep the brake line from leaking a lot, put a wire nut on the end just twist it until it stops leaking.

T
Old 02-09-2004, 09:19 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Erich_870
I blead my brakes so I could drive it till I had time again to get new shoes on it, but the breaks are soft now and I can pump them once and the get firm again. Does that mean that I didn't get all the air out or is it caused by the adjuster on the breaks. There is that dial sort of thing that has a ratcht on it. I had to fiddle wit that to get the brake shoes to come together so the drum would fit back on. And now my parking brake is barely holding. I'm parking on flat spots or with my tires agains the concrete parking curbs for now.

Erich [/B]
I found much of the same info out as you. We tried various caps/plugs in the line. But while running to the store to get a LARGE socket to install the new seal, the brakes gravity bled dry. It took a LONG time to bleed the brakes back to normal. Remember to keep filling the reservoir after every few pumps of straight air. Getting a touch of air in the middle of the bleed job absolutely stinks.

Good call on pulling the seal with pliers. I gouged the housing just to the outside of the seal using a lever type seal remover.

I'm no brake shoe genius, but I"m guessing the shoe adjustment and the parking brake holding may be the issue.
Old 02-09-2004, 01:07 PM

I found much of the same info out as you. We tried various caps/plugs in the line. But while running to the store to get a LARGE socket to install the new seal, the brakes gravity bled dry. It took a LONG time to bleed the brakes back to normal. Remember to keep filling the reservoir after every few pumps of straight air. Getting a touch of air in the middle of the bleed job absolutely stinks.
Yeah, I still don't know what I would use if I did it again. I kept thinking of using modeling clay, since is pretty dense and you can mold it, but my roommate tried some gum when I was running around our house looking for something to use and that didn't work.

I talked to a mechanical engineering friend a couple minutes ago and he said that the self tightening system of the springs is set up to work in reverse and said to drive back wards then to hit the brake a couple times. I only tried twice in the parking lot before I had to get out of the way of other cars but it has made the brakes stiffer so I think he's right. Someone else should try it. If I don't have anyone come by for a while (I'm at work right now) I'm thinking I will run out and try 4 or 5 times and see if that fixes it

Erich

Last edited by Erich_870; 02-09-2004 at 01:39 PM.