Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Dr. Z's Performance Mod

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2002, 04:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dr. Z's Performance Mod

Here it is guys. What do ya'll think about this?

"-----Intake Silencer Removal Mod ~ 99-02 V6------

Take a look at your intake tubing between the Airbox and the Throttle Body. (Do it now! LOL) You'll see a wide, rectangular box with a hose coming out of it. That box is a "Resonator" or "Intake Silencer". They really should call it a "De-Resonator" or "Torque Destroyer". It is a series of catacombs inside that break up the Intake Pulses to quiet down the intake noise on the engine. It also robs the engine of some much needed torque. I'm going to replace that box with a piece of tubing of the appropriate diameter and length. That should net me around 10-15ft/lbs of Torque and about 5-7 RWHP. By the way, the hose coming out of the Intake Silencer goes to the Fuel Pressure Regulator (FPR).

Here's what we're removing:

http://home.attbi.com/~gtberen/images/silencer.jpg

Here's a pic of the Slot inside that tunes out the pulses:

http://home.attbi.com/~gtberen/images/slot.jpg

Here's a picture of the intake system taken apart: (Thanks goes to JA for this pic.)

http://home.attbi.com/~gtberen/images/air_intake.gif

I was speaking with loosehead, another forum member about this mod before doing it. He has a 98 4Runner with the 5VZ-FE in it. The intake plumbing is a bit different on the 96-98. He's the guinea pig for the 96-98 models. *g* Anyway, I had taken measurements and knew the size of pipe needed, but I was having trouble tracking down the appropriate size. I wanted to use ABS or PVC, but no one had any that was the right size. Loosehead suggested I talk to a muffler shop. Great idea! I called a local shop, Master Muffler. They have several locations in the Portland, OR area. I told George on the phone what I was looking to accomplish. He was very helpful and even gave me ID and OD diameters for the various pipes he had in stock. None of what he carried was the correct size, either. HOWEVER, he said we could expand the pipe to the right size. He told me to come on down and see what we could do. (I knew I had talked to the right shop.)

When I got there, we removed the Silencer to take some final measurements. We used 2.5" OD 14G pipe and expanded it on the pipe bending machine to the correct diamter and cut it to length. Then we cleaned up the burrs and brushed out all the stray pieces of metal.

Here are the dimensions needed for the piece of piping to replace the Silencer box:

Length - 5.625"
Diameter - ID - 2.5" OD - 2.625"
Pipe is 14G Mild Steel.

George was awesome. He spent about 30 mintues with me working on this. I aksed him how much for the pipe. "5 dollars." was his answer... I couldn't believe it either. Like I said, I knew I went to the right place. I gave him $6 because that's how many "one's" were in my pocket. I'm a big spender.

Here's what it looks like installed:

http://home.attbi.com/~gtberen/images/intakefront2.jpg

Here's another shot:

http://home.attbi.com/~gtberen/images/intakeside.jpg

A closeup: (You can see my Magnacor wires in this one.)

http://home.attbi.com/~gtberen/images/intakeclose.jpg

I may paint it black, but I think I might just clear coat it because I like the raw metal look in the engine bay. The pics are terrible quality, I know. I used the world's worst digital camera just for you guys.

Okay, now that the pipe was installed, I needed to put the FPR hose somewhere since I lost the nipple on the Silencer. I used a Brass Tee fitting that I custom made from some parts at a local Napa Auto Parts store. Nobody had an plastic Vacuum fittings of the correct size. I looked in at least 8 stores for them, so save your self some time and get the brass fitting. Part #s listed below.

Here's a pic:

http://home.attbi.com/~gtberen/images/tee.jpg

As you can see in this pic http://home.attbi.com/~gtberen/images/intakefront2.jpg I Tee'd into the hose that runs from the Evap Canister to the Airbox just downstream of the MAF. Here's the Napa Part #s needed to make the Tee:

3700 X 2 - You will need one of these. (This is the Tee itself.)
05704B-102 - Hose End, One of these. (For the FPR.)
05706B-102 - Hose End, Two of these. (For the hose that runs across the Engine Bay.)

Total cost for Tee: $7.76
Total Cost of Pipe: $6.00
Total cost of Mod: $13.76

Okay, so now that this is all done, what did I notice?

Off the line and all the way thru redline there is a noticeable difference in the engine's performance. It's more than I expected it to be. I think my estimate of 5-7 RWHP was a bit low. Throttle response is punchier and more immediate. Not only that, but the Intake Growl sounds awesome. It even beefed up the exhaust note. It's pretty Hot-Rod sounding. Of course, this could all be in my head, but I'm intimately familiar with the way my truck runs and sounds. Also, I was running a tank of Mid-Grade Octane to see if I noticed a difference and with the stock intake, I couldn't tell. With this new intake setup, I could induce pinging, which to me is a good thing cuz it means that the Ignition Timing is more aggressive. Back to Premium. This might be caused by Winter blend gas, but there was a difference. A tank full of premium gas ceased all pinging, by the way.

One other thing I noticed as I got to drive it a bit more and with more time on the freeway: The exhaust note at cruise is even quieter now. It's as if the engine had to "labor" more before to sustain the same speed than it does now. It's almost silent. When you get on it however, it has more of a growl than before, which to me is the best of both worlds. Quiet at cruise, but wakes up and announces it's presence with authority
when you want it to.

Yesterday, I installed the DeckPlate mod to see if there would be a difference. Oh. My. God. I hate to sound like I'm making things up or exaggerating, but you gotta do this mod with the DeckPlate. I previously had been running with the Elbow removed because I didn't want to punch any holes in my shiny new truck. But now that I've got a few "unexpected modifications" from playing and other stupid stuff, I thought, "What the hell?" Again, I was not prepared for the amount of power gain from these two simple mods.

There is so much more power "On Tap" than before, it's amazing. The midrange is a godsend. Also, the engine "spools" much more quickly. So quickly in fact that it makes me wish there was a bit more headroom. Larger Cams will probably help with that. EL Prototypes is milling cams for these engines now, in case you weren't aware. http://www.elprototypes.com/home.htm

A caveat: The intake noise at large or wide open throttle is much, much louder than with the Silencer in place. I personally love the sound, but some may not. At lower throttle settings and at cruise, you can't tell a difference.

So, there you have it. When Loosehead gets back to me with his results of the proposed changes we talked about on his truck, We'll update this article.

Hope this is helpful. If anyone tries this, please post back with your results. Also, if you have any questions, well, I'm sure you guys will ask.

Peace!"
Dr. Z

I don't know. It looks like it has potential, but to me it doesn't look as easy as he was saying. Whatcha think?

Matt
Old 10-15-2002, 05:04 PM
Contributing Member

7hp could be true as like I said the Taco is rated at 190 without the silencer. I'm sure it is louder and that the sound may be contributing to what feels like HP. I know with the Amsoil and Deckplate my intake is much louder than before. But until someone dynos this mod before and after we cant really know the true gains.
Old 10-15-2002, 05:26 PM
Contributing Member

I think he might be on to something. Maybe we can talk him into getting it Dyno'd.

Matt
Old 10-15-2002, 06:11 PM

Im sure the mod works good. But it probably won't do any good with a supercharger. I use to run a nice looking polished Injen intake similiar to your mod. It allowed alot more air induction, but caused fuel starvation. If I didn't have the s/c I would probably give it a try. I know when I ran the Injen intake it made a big difference.

Paul :fireman:
Old 10-15-2002, 06:17 PM
Contributing Member

a thought

I think something the pipe in the pic could help. But may need to some work to make it fit. The Intake Silencer will help but you still have the ripples in the hose that will mess with the air flow to the intake. If you have a smoth pipe going to the intake the air will flow better.
Attached Thumbnails Dr. Z's Performance Mod-cold.jpg  
Old 10-15-2002, 06:25 PM
Contributing Member

I recently ditched my K&N FIPK for the stock box/deckplate combo. I like the results. Like Gadget says on his website "the K&N looks faster."
Old 10-15-2002, 06:55 PM

Ditto Mr Blue.

It looked good, but with the s/c....the stock box with deck mod and Amsoil works great
Old 10-15-2002, 06:58 PM
Contributing Member

so what happens when you have fuel starvation?
Old 10-15-2002, 07:06 PM
Contributing Member

PING PINGPINGPING PING PING PINGPING PINGPING PING PING PINGPINGPING PINGPING PING PING PING PING PINGPING PING PING PING PINGPINGPINGPING PINGPING PING PING PING PINGPINGPING PING PING PING PING PING PING PINGPINGPINGPINGPING PING PING PING PINGPINGPINGPING PING
Old 10-15-2002, 07:06 PM
Contributing Member

Sleepy,
One word, PINGING!!

Matt
Old 10-15-2002, 07:55 PM

Hmmmmmm this sounds like a really cool mod Wonder if there's some way that us 2nd Gen's can pull it off, we have resonators connected to our intakes (although our resonators look VERY different, and have smaller tubing) I'm going to take a look at how it's setup tommorow and see if it might be possible

-Braden
Old 10-15-2002, 08:16 PM
Contributing Member

I like the idea of that mod. as soon as there is a good write up and parts list for a 96-98 let me know, I will be all over it adn give you plenty of feedback. I'm looking for any HP I can get after my lift I feel like I lost so much "get up and go power". So let me know ASAP when a write up is made.

A little side question, what is pinging, is that the sound that your engine is making or is that just a term that I am un-aware of. Sorry I know it's stupid but how else can I learn and not sound too stupid the next time.
Old 10-15-2002, 08:23 PM
Contributing Member

Stump,
Pinging is caused by an air rich/fuel lean mixture inside the engine. The result is a pretty horrible sound referred to as pinging. Go here to read all about the pinging that a supercharger (or any mod that introduces very large amounts of air into the engine) can cause.

http://www.gadgetonline.com/pingfix.htm

Later.

Matt
Old 10-16-2002, 03:14 PM
Contributing Member

Check this out.....

http://dok-4runner.freeservers.com/p...nce_garage.htm

This guy has done a similar mod to what Dr. Z came up with. Scroll down to about the middle of the page to see it.

I thought there would be a million responses to this post about a fairly easy and cheap performance mod. Whats the deal? Do ya'll have doubts about it working?

Anyone know dok4Runner? Does he post here often? Later.

Matt
Old 10-16-2002, 03:25 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
He is in the membership list.
I also have his sliderz write-up here too.