Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

downside to car washes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2003, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NEVER goto machine washes..I like my paint, nothing beats hand wash/waxing. If I cant wash my truck on my own I'd rather drive it dirty.
Old 12-27-2003, 08:37 PM
Contributing Member

I rarely ever use the soap provided at the high pressure bays due to the residue left afterwards...I usually just use the high pressure heated water to my advantage to knock thick crap off.

I never bring the wand closer than like 12-14 inches from the paint to prevent further chipping...

Just thought you guys should know that

Fink
Old 12-27-2003, 09:54 PM

I haven't taken my truck to any auto clean places, worried about FUBARing my wheels, or that the tires won't fit. My mom takes her car to them though, it works, but she isn't as concerned for her car...

I tried out something new today. I used a spray bottle (the same one from my "wheel cleaning tip" thread). First plain water, then water mixed with soap, then plain water, then wiped it dry. Didn't come out near as good as a hose can do, but with a 32oz spritzer, it ain't bad. Would have been better yet if I had had time to wax. Oh and there wasn't too much ice on the driveway afterwards either. Though, some of the water froze on my rear bumper :pat:
Old 12-28-2003, 05:32 AM
Contributing Member

Went to Home depot 2 weeks ago and bought a Husky pressure washer (1650) for $99. Its a refurbished model, but it looks and works like brand new. Takes me about five minutes to wash the truck.
Old 12-28-2003, 08:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 2001Millrunner
NEVER goto machine washes..I like my paint, nothing beats hand wash/waxing. If I cant wash my truck on my own I'd rather drive it dirty.
They sell powerwashers at HomeDepot, the ones you plug into the wall, they sell for 50-100 bucks not bad cause their low power and most of the dealerships use them on the new cars, I've used them and you can use it on yourself

I usually look around at the dealers to see what they use to wash and detail the cars with and I noticed at this new, well new location for a Toyota dealer they have a mini car was in the back for the vehicles, oddest thing I ever saw

The last thing I want is to buy a new car and have them put it threw a car wash when I never take my own cars through them
Old 12-28-2003, 10:48 AM
Contributing Member

I have a 2350psi Troybilt gas powered pressure washer...that thing is OVERKILL for washing cars. It can make marks in the rubber on my tires if you hit it too close...took me 5 things of Ajax and about 200 pounds of elbow grease to make my tires all one color again.

Low pressure seems to be pretty good though, I have figured out that low pressure on my Troybilt is just a little less powerful than the wands they have at the car wash places. Nice thing about the Troybilt one I have is there is a special hose used for submersing in detergents. Such as a car wash soap or deck cleaner and such. I have only tried it once and it seemed to work OK...if you try this DO NO get ANY closer than about 18 inches from the surface of your car or you won't have any paint left on it. I use it mostly on my ATV after doing some serious mudding in my pastures and woods and stuff...it cleared a coating of about 4 inches of mud inside the wheel well in about 45 seconds on each side. But like I said, it can be brutal on polished/waxed surfaces.

Just thought I would add that, I have not seen those cheaper pressure washers you guys are talking about...the ones for about 50-100 that you plug into the wall...mine has a 10hp gas motor on it, and sounds like its got dual Flowmaster 40's on the back of it too...earplugs are HIGHLY recommended

Fink

Last edited by Fink; 12-28-2003 at 10:50 AM.
Old 12-28-2003, 03:37 PM

Originally posted by 4x4Fink
I have a 2350psi Troybilt gas powered pressure washer...that thing is OVERKILL for washing cars. It can make marks in the rubber on my tires if you hit it too close...took me 5 things of Ajax and about 200 pounds of elbow grease to make my tires all one color again.

Low pressure seems to be pretty good though, I have figured out that low pressure on my Troybilt is just a little less powerful than the wands they have at the car wash places. Nice thing about the Troybilt one I have is there is a special hose used for submersing in detergents. Such as a car wash soap or deck cleaner and such. I have only tried it once and it seemed to work OK...if you try this DO NO get ANY closer than about 18 inches from the surface of your car or you won't have any paint left on it. I use it mostly on my ATV after doing some serious mudding in my pastures and woods and stuff...it cleared a coating of about 4 inches of mud inside the wheel well in about 45 seconds on each side. But like I said, it can be brutal on polished/waxed surfaces.

Just thought I would add that, I have not seen those cheaper pressure washers you guys are talking about...the ones for about 50-100 that you plug into the wall...mine has a 10hp gas motor on it, and sounds like its got dual Flowmaster 40's on the back of it too...earplugs are HIGHLY recommended

Fink
So if the cat is clawing up some furniture again, keep it atleast 18 inches away???