95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

BG Products & Services

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 11:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BG Products & Services

Hey guys,
I recently had my Engine Oil system flushed and my Fuel System treatment through an authorized BG service station. I spent close to $200 on this and I didn't stick around to watch what they were doing. My oil pressure guage responds a little better to throttle inputs so I feel like the flush was worth it. I needed the peace of mind since the oil pressure was on the low side of good and the engine was exposed to Slick 50 in the past. As for the fuel system, I was told by the technician that this was the best service that BG offered and that if he had to recommend doing just one treatment, that it would be the fuel system service. Well, I went for it and I noticed zero difference. I thought that I was scammed so I pulled off my tubing between the TB and the MAS and while it was a little bit cleaner, the difference was hardly significant. I actually think that my gas mileage has gone down a little too. Anybody have any experience with this stuff? I should know better than to go to the garage for anything that I could have done myself.

On a sidenote. I don't know if it's just me but nothing has improved my performance more than new NGK wires and a new Rotor and Cap. Not the ISR Mod, nor the Airbox or My K&N. Don't get me wrong, I am happy with each mod, but I really learned the value of a new set of QAULITY wires, and a cap and rotor set. I was stunned!

Let me know what you think. I get the feeling that a 3 dollar bottle of seafoam would have saved me about $110 and done just as good of a job.
Old 09-04-2004, 11:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Interesting!
The 3.0 has low oil pressure to begin with, it comes with the payments!
I like the BG fuel cleaner and the SeaFoam! You must have forgotten that you have a 3.slo, the biggest diffs in power for me was rebuilding her, porting and polishing the heads w/os valves and injectors, headers, getting rid of that power robbing x-over, 2 1/4" exh, freeflow cat and getting rid of that aweful air intake! For the work that they done, you could have bought a can of SeaFoam for $5 and saved yourself $195! :pat: No fuel cleaner is going to give you anymore power unless the engine is that carboned up!
I run Seafoam or BG-44 through my fuel system every 3 months, I let the engine suck it in through a vac hose! $5.00 for Seafoam at Advance Auto!
Old 09-04-2004, 12:17 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by nunsa
Interesting!
The 3.0 has low oil pressure to begin with, it comes with the payments!
I like the BG fuel cleaner and the SeaFoam! You must have forgotten that you have a 3.slo, the biggest diffs in power for me was rebuilding her, porting and polishing the heads w/os valves and injectors, headers, getting rid of that power robbing x-over, 2 1/4" exh, freeflow cat and getting rid of that aweful air intake! For the work that they done, you could have bought a can of SeaFoam for $5 and saved yourself $195! :pat: No fuel cleaner is going to give you anymore power unless the engine is that carboned up!
I run Seafoam or BG-44 through my fuel system every 3 months, I let the engine suck it in through a vac hose! $5.00 for Seafoam at Advance Auto!
Thanks for the input. The BG-44 sounds like good stuff but I don't know where I can buy it loacally. If that's all that they did for my fuel system is dump the stuff in for me, then I am a little PO'd. The BG website made it sound a bit more involved so I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt. Now that I have zero'd things out in that motor (meaning that I know where it stands now since I have only owned it for 10 months) I am going to go with the seafoam at each oil change from now on and see how she goes. Should be enough along with good synth oil and regular inspection
Old 09-04-2004, 12:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by trd6209
Thanks for the input. The BG-44 sounds like good stuff but I don't know where I can buy it loacally. If that's all that they did for my fuel system is dump the stuff in for me, then I am a little PO'd. The BG website made it sound a bit more involved so I am going to give them the benefit of the doubt. Now that I have zero'd things out in that motor (meaning that I know where it stands now since I have only owned it for 10 months) I am going to go with the seafoam at each oil change from now on and see how she goes. Should be enough along with good synth oil and regular inspection
You can buy the BG-44 @ any Toy Dealer, there's no doubt it's pricey! The last time I bought it, it was around $20 if I remember! The SeaFoam is just as good! Oh, one more thing trd6209, when you did your air intake, everyone forgets that the computer has to adjust for that extra air..., you need to pull your efi fuse or neg. batt. cable and then restart your rig and take her for a ride. The computer has to relearn itself!
When you take it to these places, they do a good job, they have a machine that will flush your fuel system out..., if your fuel system is all carbed up from years of neglect, then I might recommend this but, you can do just as good buying a few cans of SeaFoam and running it through a vac line,(Not to much at one tome, just sips, or you'll hydrolock your engine!) and replace your fuel filter and throw a can of SeaFoam in the tank! That's all it takes and it doesn't cost $200! A lot of posters have thought that the SeaFoam damages there O2 sensor, I haven't seen that! After you run the SeaFoam through your system and the smoke subsides, you should pull your efi fuse and take her for a ride for your computer to relearn!
Good Luck!
Old 09-05-2004, 08:15 AM
Contributing Member

You can buy the BG-44 @ any Toy Dealer, there's no doubt it's pricey! The last time I bought it, it was around $20 if I remember! The SeaFoam is just as good! Oh, one more thing trd6209, when you did your air intake, everyone forgets that the computer has to adjust for that extra air..., you need to pull your efi fuse or neg. batt. cable and then restart your rig and take her for a ride. The computer has to relearn itself!
When you take it to these places, they do a good job, they have a machine that will flush your fuel system out..., if your fuel system is all carbed up from years of neglect, then I might recommend this but, you can do just as good buying a few cans of SeaFoam and running it through a vac line,(Not to much at one tome, just sips, or you'll hydrolock your engine!) and replace your fuel filter and throw a can of SeaFoam in the tank! That's all it takes and it doesn't cost $200! A lot of posters have thought that the SeaFoam damages there O2 sensor, I haven't seen that! After you run the SeaFoam through your system and the smoke subsides, you should pull your efi fuse and take her for a ride for your computer to relearn!
Good Luck!
Thanks a lot. I will pull my EFI Fuse. I didn't think of that. maybe it will make the difference that I was expecting. If not, I am still happy with my Runner. I hate the noisy 3.0 valvetrain (reminds me of when I was a kid and used to stick a baseball card in my spokes on my bicycle to make it sound like a motorcycle), but for the most part I can live with it. There are a lot of people on this forum who get worse gas mileage than I do so I should not complain, but I will continue to look for ways to improve on it. I looked at buying a 2004 4Runner last week, but I couldn't really justify needing it even though I am riding on a 13 year old truck. Know what I mean.

Thanks again
Old 09-05-2004, 10:58 PM
Contributing Member

Good Luck!
You were right. I pulled my EFI fuse and while I was letting the computer reset, I swapped out my fuel filter. This was not nearly as horrible of a task as I had expected from what I read, but I have been a Helicopter Mechanic for 13 years so maybe nothing phases me. (A word of advise, don't bother to pull the fuel pump fuse and run the truck unitl it stalls, just pop the fuel tank cap off and leave it off. Not much runs out if you leave the cap off, but if not it will syphon all over you the entire time.) Anyway, After I finished the filter and reste the EFI fuse I noticed a higher idle immediately. I backed out of the driveway and when I threw it in first I was amazed at the difference that I felt. I wish that I would have tried resetting the computer before I changed my filter. I am curious how much I gained from each procedure. Anyway, she's still a 3.0, but she runs like a raped ape compared to before. I am anxious to see how she handles my trip to San Antonio (2400 miles round trip). Thanks again for the tips.

Matt