Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 03:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Bob_98SR5
lives,

both gadget and i are dealers too.

bob

Just wanted to see if you guys sell filters for the same price as amsoil's online store
Old 10-15-2003, 03:34 PM

If you want AMSOIL products at dealer cost go to my site and sign up as a preferred customer or a dealer and save yourself a lot of money. That is the best hook up I can do for you.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 10-15-2003, 04:57 PM

Originally posted by Joe
Let's get the semantics correct here Amsoil sells Amsoil oil filters, which are manufactured by Hastings to Amsoil's specifications. (That is a fact.) Those specifications are well above average but I don't think they filter out particles any better than Mobil 1 oil filters. Because the SDF filters are larger (volume size - as an SDF 15 holds approximately 1 quart of oil), they will filter out a larger volume of particles before clogging the filter and kicking in the by-pass valve, which is set at 10# psi. The SDF line of Amsoil oil filters, filter out particles in the 7 to 10 micron or larger range, which is well above industry standards. I run Amsoil's dual remote filtration system using the SDF15 and BE100 oil filters. If you don't run off-road much, tow or drive in the desert heat, the 0-30 (2000 series) or the 5-30 (3000 series) works great. For off-road (rock climbing - desert racing), towing or hot climates, the 10-30 synthetic Amsoil will provide adequate protection for your engine for a longer period of time when/if you reach the extreme heat limits of your engine, than will the 0-30 or 5-30 weight synthetic oils.
I believe the Hastings company was bought out by Baldwin a couple of years ago. Baldwin sells their "better" filters under the Hastings brand name, their economy filters under the Casite name. I suppose filters that carry the Baldwin name are also their premium filters. Who *really* knows what's inside the filters Baldwin makes for Amsoil without cutting one up to find out.

All other things being equal, but they usually aren't, a smaller high to low spread on a multigrade oil will be a longer lasting oil than one with a wider spread. It may or may not offer any better protection at high temperatures.

The flipside is, if you live in a colder climate, the oils with lower cold viscosity will show better wear numbers, especially if you do a lot of cold starts.

Most of this stuff is formulation dependent though, and I know little about Amsoil. As soon as I can buy it over the counter via a non-MLM scheme I'll find it a lot more attractive...

Last edited by JSharp; 10-15-2003 at 05:02 PM.
Old 10-15-2003, 05:31 PM

All that is very interesting, but I can tell you how it has played out for me in the real world.

I have run it as long as 18,000 miles in my supercharged 4Runner. It still tested to a 30w oil after all that use in my supercharged engine, so I am not to worried about that "shearing" thing that gets thrown around so much.

0w30 gives the best possible protection during the cold starts and warm ups and it is the 30w oil that is needed at operating temp. It lasts longer then I need it to and I don't pay but pennies more then the other stuff people buy at Walmart.

If someone would please tell me what is better out there I would appreciate it. I mean like I want to get as far away from MLM as I can and still have the best oil. Everyone knows that MLM is like one step below communism.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 10-16-2003, 07:30 AM

Originally posted by Gadget
All that is very interesting, but I can tell you how it has played out for me in the real world.

I have run it as long as 18,000 miles in my supercharged 4Runner. It still tested to a 30w oil after all that use in my supercharged engine, so I am not to worried about that "shearing" thing that gets thrown around so much.

0w30 gives the best possible protection during the cold starts and warm ups and it is the 30w oil that is needed at operating temp. It lasts longer then I need it to and I don't pay but pennies more then the other stuff people buy at Walmart.

If someone would please tell me what is better out there I would appreciate it. I mean like I want to get as far away from MLM as I can and still have the best oil. Everyone knows that MLM is like one step below communism.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
This is what I meant when I said "all things being equal." It looks to me like Amzoil may have beefed their formulation up to compensate for the 0-30 spread and it's every bit as durable as their 10w-30. Pretty incredible service life considering what you've done with your truck. From what I've seen from oil analysis, Mobil 1 is only good for about 10-12K miles in a stock 3.4L.

I'd love to use some of the Amsoil products. Not being able to buy it otc and whole mlm thing pisses me off tho. Oh well...
Old 10-16-2003, 11:42 AM

You can buy it over the counter. If a store owner wishes to sell it in his store he can do so, anyone can. The auto parts store close to me that sells it over the counter is Brandywine Auto Parts. All you have to do is find a shop that stocks it.

Of course it is very simple to do a little typing and have it come to you. That is how I do it and if I place my order early in the day, it will be on my door step the next day.

So, now let us know what your beef is with MLM.

If you think about it most ALL things are sold using mulitlevel marketing. Someone makes it and sends it to their distributors, they send it off to some kind of reginal folks. They then sell it to the stores. The stores sells it to you and there is profit taking at each and every step of the way. How do you think all the off road and performance products you buy for your truck are sold? Do you really thing you get them directly from the manufacturer?

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 10-16-2003, 01:08 PM

Originally posted by Gadget
You can buy it over the counter. If a store owner wishes to sell it in his store he can do so, anyone can. The auto parts store close to me that sells it over the counter is Brandywine Auto Parts. All you have to do is find a shop that stocks it.

Of course it is very simple to do a little typing and have it come to you. That is how I do it and if I place my order early in the day, it will be on my door step the next day.

So, now let us know what your beef is with MLM.

If you think about it most ALL things are sold using mulitlevel marketing. Someone makes it and sends it to their distributors, they send it off to some kind of reginal folks. They then sell it to the stores. The stores sells it to you and there is profit taking at each and every step of the way. How do you think all the off road and performance products you buy for your truck are sold? Do you really thing you get them directly from the manufacturer?

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
I can assure you, I know exactly how selling in the retail marketplace works. I've been and am currently on both ends of that. If you think there are any middlemen between a companies like Target or WalMart and Exxon/Mobil, and any excess profit in that distribution scheme, I've some land I want to get rid of...

I keep asking around locally for someone who stocks Amsoil. Living in the sticks has it's disadvantages. As soon as I can find some and can be assured of a steady supply when needed I'll like to get some to try. I guess I'm just not interested in paying more for the product if I want to buy in small quantities, don't want to stock the oil for them, nor want to pay the high per lb shipping costs of buying this way vs. products that are shipped in my the trainload with a much reduced per unit cost.

That being said, personally I think they have a lot of excellent products that can easily go head to head with any of the big guys. I just think they are limiting their potential customer base by their marketing....

Old 10-16-2003, 02:50 PM
Contributing Member

it's quite possible that they're not in to for the money; have you ever thought of that? Or perhaps because they are a smaller company than say Mobil 1, they figure it would be better for them to stay more low key, not over taking mobil 1s retail market.

Last edited by ByThaBay; 10-16-2003 at 02:51 PM.
Old 10-16-2003, 03:00 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
guys,

for the life of me, i have no clue why you guys have such strong dislike for MLMs. for one, MLMs can be highly effective for companies who desire NOT TO spend their entire marketing budget on 'mainstream' advertising. if you have a product with a good following and good 'word of mouth' (like Amsoil), MLM is an effective method of advertising and sales. Companies are then in a position to better take advantage of this by:

a) lowering the cost of product to its distributors (and ultimately to the end user)
b) increase the amount of funds to R&D
c) keep the damn company financially solvent!

Living in the sticks has it's disadvantages. As soon as I can find some and can be assured of a steady supply when needed I'll like to get some to try.
And there, you point out another reason: distribution is very expensive to support. So for a customer like you, its much more effective to deliver it to you directly than to build/lease/buy a warehouse, hire employees, lease equipment, etc just to deliver products to those who live 'out of the way'.

as an amsoil dealer, ive had absolutely no pressure from any of the dealers above me to find more dealers to sign up, sell, etc. thus, i've go no beef w/ amsoil. of course, there are MLMs who are notorious for pushing their dealers to do this, thus maybe some of you are confusing the issue and painting all companies who use MLM with the same brush.

bob

Last edited by Bob_98SR5; 10-16-2003 at 03:06 PM.
Old 10-16-2003, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by JSharp
I can assure you, I know exactly how selling in the retail marketplace works. I've been and am currently on both ends of that. If you think there are any middlemen between a companies like Target or WalMart and Exxon/Mobil, and any excess profit in that distribution scheme, I've some land I want to get rid of...

I keep asking around locally for someone who stocks Amsoil. Living in the sticks has it's disadvantages. As soon as I can find some and can be assured of a steady supply when needed I'll like to get some to try. I guess I'm just not interested in paying more for the product if I want to buy in small quantities, don't want to stock the oil for them, nor want to pay the high per lb shipping costs of buying this way vs. products that are shipped in my the trainload with a much reduced per unit cost.

That being said, personally I think they have a lot of excellent products that can easily go head to head with any of the big guys. I just think they are limiting their potential customer base by their marketing....

So, you are worried about a steady supply of AMSOIL??? I can't believe you said that. There has been a steady supply of AMSOIL since 1972. You can get it ANYWHERE.

How is it that you feel that it is not available to you? You obviously have an Internet connection, so what are you so worried about?

When I decide I need some I just go typing on the keyboard and the next day it is on my door step. I can complete the whole process NAKED.

I really could give a rats if you use AMSOIL or any other oil out there, but what you have been typing as reasons not use it is are just nuts.

I can sense that you have had some kind of bad experience with other MLM companies, and I know I certainly have. Everytime I hear the name AMWAY I cringe. I can assure you that AMSOIL is not a cult and it is not a company that preys on social misfits like some of them do. I have never been to a meeting, a rally or any of that weird stuff and I have never been invited to one or pressured to attend. Those outfits give me the creeps. I have been in a few of them and just can't stand the people. Those are all about "sponcering" people and not moving product.

I signed up as a dealer so I could buy the stuff for my own use at wholesale prices. I never had any intention to "sponcer" anyone and don't care if I ever do. I also don't push the oil on anyone and don't sell it retail myself. If anyone contacts me directly to buy it I suggest they sign themselves up and buy direct and save money like I do. Now they have a preferred customer program for that very reason. If I was starting over that is the way I would go.

Like I said use what ever you want, but what you have typed as a valid reason not to use the oil is kind of nuts to me.

AMSOIL is not a bad outfit, trust me.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 10-17-2003, 05:36 AM
Joe
Contributing Member

What Gadget is saying about Amsoil is absolutely correct. I was living in Duluth, Minn when Amsoil was getting started and have personally visited their Company and Warehouse in Superior, Wisc. on several occasions through the years. They just keep getting bigger every decade and the company was truly ahead of its time back in '72. The people (employees) have always been "customer orientated" and will go that extra step for anyone. Their list price on products are high but I've never known a "local" dealer to sell Amsoil products at "list". They are a very, very reputable company, so much so, that they are licensed in every State in the Republic and when you order products, they automatically charge the sales tax for your State and send the collected monies to your State so you, the dealer or preferred customer, don't have to worry about that administrative function. That's something you seldom see from any Company selling out of State. No State in the Union has ever had a bitch with Amsoil. I personally dislike paying Taxes, but if I do HAVE to pay them, I'd prefer the money I pay goes to MY State, but that's the only gripe (taxes) I've ever had with Amsoil or their products. All their products are top notch and their people are too. (I use to be a prefered customer but I've since made arrangements with a local dealer to purchase at the same price but I don't pay that yearly "fee" anymore )