95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3.4L Supercharger Installation

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 12:32 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.4L Supercharger Installation

I've got a 2001 SR5 with 30k miles and a 2nd gen. supercharger on the way. Should I do the install myself or let a dealer do it? I have a 6 year/100k mile extended warranty on the truck and don't want to void it. If I go the dealer route, does anyone have a dealer recomendation for the Denver area? If I do it myself, how hard is it?
Old 08-13-2003, 12:55 PM

I think a good number of us have done it ourselves with good results. Your warranty should not be affected no matter who installs in according to the TRD manual. If you have mechanical abilities, then I say go for it. If not, bring it to the dealer. Maybe youc ould even find a local yotatech'er to come help you out.

Good luck!
Old 08-13-2003, 01:13 PM
Contributing Member

do it yourself. Make sure you have a decent set of tools, and time enough just in case you run into a problem.

I learned more about my runner (and engines in general) installing my supercharger that I ever have before.

Dan
Old 08-13-2003, 04:00 PM

Tools

I vote do it yourself. That's my plan for when I drop it in in the next month. Basically you just swap the intake plenum for the blower unit and re-route the belts. IF YOU DO IT YOURSELF MAKE SUE YOU HAVE ALL THE TOOLS YOU NEED!!!!! That's the most frustrating thing in the world to me. So make sure to have a torque wrench, set of ratchet and sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers, etc. handy when you put it in. I'd read through the directions too before you do it. Good luck!

Zach
Old 08-13-2003, 04:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do it yourself = 12K mile warranty

Dealer install = remainder of power train warranty (60K miles)

You decide, BUT make sure the vacuum check-valve gets installed.
Old 08-13-2003, 09:17 PM

Manymods, that only applies to the sc itself...your powertrain is unaffected no matter who does it as long as it is the correct SC for the application ~ from trd manual.
Old 08-14-2003, 02:28 AM

Originally posted by PhxTRDRunner
Manymods, that only applies to the sc itself...your powertrain is unaffected no matter who does it as long as it is the correct SC for the application ~ from trd manual.
I am sorry I was not totally clear, I thought that was a given. I do believe that <<<IF>>> a problem arose and <<<IF>>> Toyota could somehow blame that problem on an owner installed SC, they would do so. Of course this would depend upon the dealer. Dealers are rated on the number of warranty claims they submit.

I am STILL very happy with my supercharger, now that it finally runs well. It gives this heavy truck just enough punch, thanks to the added torque.

However, I am still disgusted at how ignorant and irresponsible TRD is about an EXPENSIVE product they promote.
Old 08-14-2003, 04:22 AM

I'd definitely do it yourself, then if a problem ever arrises, just tell them that you had it installed by a dealer across the country. They'll never check! I work for one!

Chris
Old 08-14-2003, 04:32 AM

If you install it the supercharger will have a 12 month unlimited mileage warranty. The warranty on the vehicle is unaffected.

If the dealer installs it, the supercharger is rolled into the remainder of the vehicle's power train warranty. I do not know how the extended warranty works or if it will include the supercharger or not.

Now, most of the problems with the supercharger that we hear about are a result of dealer installation errors. What makes you think that they would do any better job then you? What makes you think that they have any more experience installing the supercharger then you? If you go the dealer route, great, but just hope that guy has installed one or two before yours.

How long is it going to take you to put another 30,000 miles on your truck? For me, I was doing about 30,000 miles a year on my truck and mine was installed at 44,000 miles, so it was clearly a no brainer decision for me, especially when I factored in totally incompetent dealer service I have had prior to that.

I highly recommend you install it. That way you will learn the supercharger and everythign that is involved so you will be better prepared to deal with any problems down the road. You will also have the personal satisfaction of knowing it was done right and that you did it.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com
Old 08-14-2003, 06:40 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for all the advice. However, I'm now going to sell the supercharger as my g.f. got REALLY upset about me purchasing it. Will post a thread on it and pick one up at a later date.
Old 08-14-2003, 06:44 AM
Contributing Member

WOW....your G/F got mad? My wife is mad at me cause I have not GOTTEN her a S/C for her GX-470 yet...I guess she was just spoiled by the Runner.
Old 08-14-2003, 07:01 AM
Contributing Member

She got mad because I didn't tell her I was getting it. We live together and share the finances, which isn't working out too well right now. But its cheaper to keep her happy, and I can get another one in six months or so, just need to save up the money for it, that's all.

Last edited by rwmorrisonjr; 08-14-2003 at 07:07 AM.
Old 08-14-2003, 07:36 AM

Another one bites the dust

Women don't want little boxes, they want BIG boxes with roofs on them. Of course, little boxes with shiny things inside are all right, but pieces of aluminum, nuts and bolts.... fuggetaboutit!
Old 08-14-2003, 07:42 AM
Contributing Member

You're right on that, she's got house fever in a big way that I'm not into right now, especially since I've already done the house thing and don't want that hassle right now.
Old 08-14-2003, 09:33 AM

"cheaper to keep her happy" I beg to differ, you can NOT use "cheaper" and "her" AND "happy" in the same sentence! Doesn't work! And believe me, being married for 25 years, continous, to the same lady, I have some experience!
Old 08-14-2003, 09:50 AM
Contributing Member

Believe me, I'm learning that the hard way. Having this debate with myself over "my money" vs. "her money" vs. "our money". Not a pleasant battle to have, especially when we're not even married yet.
Old 08-14-2003, 02:39 PM

Originally posted by tomstin
"cheaper to keep her happy" I beg to differ, you can NOT use "cheaper" and "her" AND "happy" in the same sentence! Doesn't work! And believe me, being married for 25 years, continous, to the same lady, I have some experience!
ROTFLMAO

I'll see your 25 and raise you three ... three wives that is.

My youngest son is just ending another relationship that was getting very domestic (he's only 22 and career driven) and I told him that the next time, when they ask if they can leave a tooth brush at your crib or you start finding stray under garments left behind, that is a clear sign that it is time to raise the draw bridge and fill the moat. I LOVE WOMEN.

BTW, congratulations on being a survivor.:pat:
Old 08-14-2003, 03:20 PM
Contributing Member

Congrats to both of you for your survival skills, both with one and three. Finding it hard to deal with issues like this since I'm used to being independent with my money and life. Still living under the "what's mine is mine" logic, which works, instead of the "what's mine is her's" logic, which doesn't. I have friends who've been married & divorced over less, and they seem to be happy being single and in control of thier own lives. I know I'm ranting, but I'm upset about this whole issue tonight. I'll cool down by tomorrow.
Old 08-14-2003, 03:38 PM

Originally posted by rwmorrisonjr
Congrats to both of you for your survival skills, both with one and three. Finding it hard to deal with issues like this since I'm used to being independent with my money and life. Still living under the "what's mine is mine" logic, which works, instead of the "what's mine is her's" logic, which doesn't. I have friends who've been married & divorced over less, and they seem to be happy being single and in control of thier own lives. I know I'm ranting, but I'm upset about this whole issue tonight. I'll cool down by tomorrow.
As I tell my four boys ...

"this above all TO THINE OWN SELF BE TRUE and it shall follow as the night the day. "