86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

YoterUp's 1990 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
YoterUp's 1990 Pickup Build-Up Thread

I have been having all kinds of problems with my toyota ifs front end first i blew my front chunk i stripped out my ring and pinion i bought a new one and put it up front then about 3 weeks after it locked up on me again then i had to replace the barrings on both sides and the final straw was i was driving down I4 and my tire started clapping so i pulled over and i had broke off 4 of my 6 studs on my passenger front tire so its just time for a SAS.. i have a good buddy who owns DEEP SIX OFF ROAD in EDGEWATER FLORIDA guy does some great work and builds some monster trucks. i got to talking to him the last 2 weeks and we have come up with a deal hes going to give me a set of 84 pick up axles he has at the shop with 4.88 gears in them and he is going to SAS my truck with 10 inches of lift for $1000..... i cant beat that it goes in on thursday the 19th which is tomorrow ill post some pics i just took of it today and ill post some after he is done. im going to throw a set of 38inch TSLs on it that he has laying around the shop.. ill keep it posted..
Old 11-18-2009, 09:42 AM

pictures
Attached Thumbnails YoterUp's 1990 Pickup Build-Up Thread-pb130026.jpg   YoterUp's 1990 Pickup Build-Up Thread-pb130028.jpg   YoterUp's 1990 Pickup Build-Up Thread-pb130030.jpg  
Old 11-18-2009, 10:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Some guys have all the luck.

Can't wait to see it complete.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:25 AM

10"s of lift is to much for 38's.

what kind of springs are you gonna use?

Last edited by TOYOTA 1; 11-18-2009 at 10:27 AM.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:34 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Sounds like the guy doesn't work on Toyotas much.

Generally, the IFS rear axle is considered superior. Stronger and wider. Run wheel spacers in the front or do the IFS hub conversion to match the width of the rear axle.

As mentioned above, 10" is WAYYYY more than you need for 38's. 5" would be plenty, and is about the max of the commonly available "one size fits all" springs.

$1000 is TOO cheap - something is missing/not included. The TrailGear IFS eliminator kit goes for about that by itself. So unless he is doing the fab totally for free (which would be stupid on his part), it doesn't add up. The "rule of thumb" number to do a SAS right (welding yourself) is about $3000. That includes gears, lockers, high steer, Longfields - all the stuff you REALLY need for the SFA to be stronger than the IFS was.... which brings me to my real point for posting....

It sounds like your driving technique could use some help. With the list of carnage you posted, you either need to build the ever-lovin' hell out of the Toyota axle, change your driving style, or prepare for more of the same failures - especially since you're taking a dramatic jump in tire size.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by tc
Sounds like the guy doesn't work on Toyotas much.

Generally, the IFS rear axle is considered superior. Stronger and wider. Run wheel spacers in the front or do the IFS hub conversion to match the width of the rear axle.

As mentioned above, 10" is WAYYYY more than you need for 38's. 5" would be plenty, and is about the max of the commonly available "one size fits all" springs.

$1000 is TOO cheap - something is missing/not included. The TrailGear IFS eliminator kit goes for about that by itself. So unless he is doing the fab totally for free (which would be stupid on his part), it doesn't add up. The "rule of thumb" number to do a SAS right (welding yourself) is about $3000. That includes gears, lockers, high steer, Longfields - all the stuff you REALLY need for the SFA to be stronger than the IFS was.... which brings me to my real point for posting....

It sounds like your driving technique could use some help. With the list of carnage you posted, you either need to build the ever-lovin' hell out of the Toyota axle, change your driving style, or prepare for more of the same failures - especially since you're taking a dramatic jump in tire size.
bingo!
Old 11-18-2009, 02:17 PM

yes, good posting tc!

when i had my ifs i ran 35's, i had to be smart with the throttle, not let the front end bounce, and try to keep the wheels semi straight when under heavy throttle etc. well that worked pretty good. but when i needed to be HARD on it to get threw a ruff obstacle, or some tuff parts of a trail, it usually broke!. not every time, but often enough that i would stay away from obstacles and other trails because of it. well after i got my sfa installed that changed. i still drive the same as i did with my ifs, but now i can be more careless. i can be HARD on it and not have to worry as much, even with bigger/ heavier tires i just thrash my way over stuff that i used to avoid.

so ime, the stock sfa is an upgrade in strength over the stock ifs.

and no im not trying to start a dead horse beating contest, i just wanted to share my experience's
Old 11-18-2009, 05:20 PM

If you want to beat the hell out of it with 38s put 1 tons under it.
The toyota axles are nice axles and hold up well, but they have limits even fully built. With longfields the differential becomes the weak link and there is not a cheap way to strengthen it past a hi-pinion.
Old 11-18-2009, 05:34 PM

38's seem a little overkill for any obstacle in my opinion. Keep it like it is
Old 11-18-2009, 05:34 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
dude sick!

can't wait to see the finished product!

where abouts are you in Fl?
Old 11-18-2009, 10:43 PM

some times you guys are REALLY REALLY smart other times i think some of you should put a boot in your mouth and your to smart for your own good. but ill just eat my words till the project is finished and you can see the final project ill start taking beginning pics tomorrow and ill also take a pic or 2 of the trucks hes got around his shop.. i eventually want to run 40 15.50 22s that why im going 10 inches.. the 38s are just for now beacuse he has them around the shop.. and 1000$ isnt to cheap its perfect for me your just haters beacuse you all pay that much just for the kit... its nice to have friends in low places... haha.. and i live in Oviedo FL its right by UCF college. the shop is in EDGEWATER its right by new symrna beach.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:48 PM

i would also like to add my driving style is perfectly fine balls to the wall.. haha i have my stupid moments like when i did a tug o war with a 7.3 powerstroke but i got it on camera and he didnt pull me so how many of you can say that about your toyotas? in florida we dont have rocks we have lakes and endless holes or mudd with no bottom you hit the mud holding it to the floor and you dont let off till you get out. ill add some videos of past experiances once i find out how.. you will see what i mean.
Old 11-18-2009, 10:57 PM

HUH?
Old 11-19-2009, 02:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I want to see how this looks when it's done. A friend of mine was all excited he had just bought a SAS'd 86 runner, said bring it by so i can check out the handywork.

It's unwheelable. He's got about 600 bucks to put into it and a whole lot of tool hours to go before it's even remotely wheelable. It looked like the PO just SAS'd it to say hey guys look, i got a solid axle yota now that can't do poo. Woot im cool.

I'm subscribed
Old 11-19-2009, 02:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How do you shear wheel studs on the IFS? Besides that how did you grenade two front ring and pinions. By god the CV axles are the WEAK link, unless you welded it up, poorly.. the Differential shouldnt ever break. Something is missing from the story here
Old 11-19-2009, 02:51 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
-Are you gonna run Long's, Dirty 30's or what up front? Stock Birf's and 38's will look like this:

add $550-750 to your front axle
-Just put the 4.88 third in your wider rear axle instead of converting to the narrow '84 rear axle
Old 11-19-2009, 04:31 AM

... keep your ifs rear axle, take his 4.88 third and put that on your housing. Rotate the pinion as well if you plan on running 10" of lift. More than likely going to have to extend the rear driveshaft as well. 10" all suspension? 7" springs with 3" body? Drop hangers and arched springs? I think you should spend some more time researching before shelling out $1000 for a mystery install. If you just want to play in FL mud you could do that with 5-7" of suspension lift and 36" r1 tractor tires and have a much more all around wheelable truck. Btw the first time you blow up a birf is going to run you $650 if you want to fix it right. There's a lot of costs and aspects involved with a sas that's done correctly that you didn't mention. I'm not trying to be a dick just sounds like you should spend some more time researching before you let someone else start hacking away at your truck. Also don't bitch at folks here for being "too smart for their own good". Try posting a thread like this over on pirate and see how that goes. BTW who makes a mud tire for a 22" rim

Last edited by Beaniam; 11-19-2009 at 04:32 AM.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by drew303
How do you shear wheel studs on the IFS? Besides that how did you grenade two front ring and pinions. By god the CV axles are the WEAK link, unless you welded it up, poorly.. the Differential shouldnt ever break. Something is missing from the story here

i grenaded 3 ifs thirds, and 4 axles before i sas'd.

IMO, if the person thinking about a sas has never broke any ifs thirds or axles, then that person does not need a sfa!
Old 11-19-2009, 03:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
screw ifs just get the sfa. TOYOTA 1 you make a good point but why lift and gear ifs when you can cut to the chase and save a whole lot of money and pain with sfa? when i think of lifting my truck and running 35's i thought wait a second why would a put money into something that will break on me and look gay with all the ifs junk? solid axle swap isn't much more and is much stronger and looks realy cool? hell maybe i havent broke my ifs yet but why would i want too? i think i will do sas and break that instead. i dont want to be pulling mu hub and knuckle off in the mud and rain to change out a broken ifs birf. i have done it before at home and that was in a driveway and it sucked. swaping out a cv on a sfa is much more simple. now on 40's you might as well go to 1 ton axles because you are going to break that yota axle. its all about up grading and 40's with yota axles could be scary haha good luck!
Old 11-19-2009, 03:27 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
lmao, Oviedo's right around the corner from me pretty much! I pass through it and get on 419 on my way to work every day! I went to OHS 9th grade before I moved up north Fl, and then came back down here, lol

Quick Reply: YoterUp's 1990 Pickup Build-Up Thread