Terrys87 88 4Runner Restoration/Build thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Old 08-13-2017, 01:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Glad to see your back at it Terry. Seems like you had a good summer with your family.

Its easy posting to YT from the phone. If I had to go back to an image server, I wouldn't post any photos. You'll get used to it. I also email all my pics to myself in case my phone disappears.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:33 PM
Contributing Member

Received 464 Likes on 310 Posts
I think I ran out of storage on Yotatech so now I'm learning imgur.

That big square front end looks funny on the Ford without its fenders.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Hello Tony...I am still struggling with the picture thing. I am trying to see how to post several pictures in one post, still have not got that figured out. I did have a great summer. It went by fast.

Hello hab...I plan on getting on the Ford hopefully in a month if all goes well. I am going to look at imgur. Thanks for the info on that.

Last edited by Terrys87; 08-21-2017 at 09:37 AM.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:27 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Well I am just going to make this my go to work truck. I am killing my other trucks going back and forth to work. I am going to go thru this truck to how I like mine. I have some other home projects going on so I am just going to fix the things I can with the parts I have on hand. I want to pull the motor and clean it and seal it up and probably going to find a few things that I am unaware of.

If this was an EFI motor I would not need to take pictures of different lines but I am not as comfortable with the Asian carb. Later I might do the Webber if this carb does not work well.

This line goes to the blue VSV on the inner fender, a note to myself.

4 Plugs in one area for a reminder for me a a few other small things.

Last edited by Terrys87; 08-21-2017 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-26-2017, 09:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think you know a decent carb guy!
Old 10-09-2017, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Originally Posted by dirtdobberoffroad
I think you know a decent carb guy!
Thanks dirtdobber... I hope to get back on the wreck in the near future. I will probably be getting with you on this carb soon.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I am still not the quickest at posting pictures. I post them with the phone and then get on the computer to edit. My weekends used to be Wednesday and Thursdays so I had to find things to keep me busy while the wife and kids were at work and school. Now I have Saturday and Sunday off and have not been having much time in the shop. I have worked grave yard for years and may be going to day shift in the near future, that could happen anytime. I like midnights but will give the day shift a try. I got enough seniority I could always go back. I am liking having my weekends off.

Currently I am fixing the bed cover of a Chevy truck. Body shops did not want to mess with it or way over priced. I have quite a bit of time in on it. Clear coat was peeling on it and then the owners truck broke down. The tow company was towing the truck backwards and the wind caught the cover and it blew off of the truck doing about 55 mph. It has some deep scratches. Been a lot of work getting it smoothed out and repaired.

Not sure about repairing the corners on this as where it landed on the highway and damaged it up real well. I have worked with fiber glass but not sure how to go about repairing this part. The owner does not expect perfection but I would like some suggestions on how to make it look better and keep it from cracking out even more.

Last edited by Terrys87; 10-09-2017 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-09-2017, 01:16 PM
Contributing Member

Well that's new and different. Here's a bump because no idea about fiberglass repair.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:59 PM

well I like working with fiberglass, what I would do is make a piece( resin and fiberglass mat) on the work bench that has the same bend to it as the bed cover, what I am trying to say is mix the fiber and resin together to make a chunk with the same bend to it then you can attach it with resin and some cloth. Does that make any sense at all terry? or you could attach a small piece of 1/4 ply wood on the under side and build the fiberglass on the cover. I don't know how well any of those would hold up though.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:36 PM

Received 554 Likes on 452 Posts
For strength you will need to sand out any delamination. What I'm looking at are the lighter spots, these might just be where you have already sanded on it.

Work from the outside inwards for the best looks. Feather back the gelcoat a couple inches, with about an inch of glass exposed where you will lay new bias cloth. Inside and out.

Next make up a paper template of the area, this will be used for sizing the cloth and making a backer plate. This plate will get clamped onto the outside and have a build up section that recesses the cloth below the gel coat layer.

​​​​​​I used I think a 1/16th melamine board. 3M spray glue, and covered it with foil. You will do similar but add a built up section that matches the cloth template.

I would start with the board/sheet, cover it in foil. Next lay down some thin double sided tape butted together. Trace the template out with a razor, remove the excess, and add another layer of foil.

If you can do this without any wrinkle it should release easy, a bit of mold release or a light wax won't hurt as long as you get it clean when you paint the gel on later.

Next use the template to size your cloth. You want the ply to run diagonally in an X fashion front to rear. Make two pieces this size. Leave one with enough to wrap around the edge and encapsulate the patched section, this is the outside piece.

For the bulk of the repair, the pb&j of the sandwich, use a "chopped mat" saturated with resin.

So now you have an outer board, an inner board I didn't mention, two bits of cloth, several hand fulls of chopped fiber, and buckets of resin. You'll want to pick a slow to medium cure speed because nothing sucks worse than trying to race that gunk.

With the outside of the cover flipped to the bottom. Put the outer cloth on the board and saturate it with resin and afix firmly to the outside/bottom. Scoop in the saturated mat and cover with the inside portion of cloth, roll the outside cloth over this and lightly afix the inside board (lightly so it doesn't ooze to much).. Then wait.

Once it is cured up you can paint a gel coat (pure resin, usually with a dye) over the outside to cover the cloth and build up to the surface thickness.

This should turn out better than mine. My board wasn't fixed stable enough and shifted. I didn't cut out enough of the damaged delamination. And most of all I was racing fast cure resin.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Thanks habanero...The bump helped out.

Thanks dirtdobber and Co 94 PU... I combined with what you guys said and I was really happy how it turned out. I think it will hold up. I should of gotten a picture of how it turned out and I think the owner is going to be happy with it. For the condition of the cover after flying off of the truck going down the highway and the damage it got, it turned out really well. It took a lot of work. I am glad to have it done with.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I got the cover done and out of here and I am going to take a break from working on others projects for a while and work on some of my projects. I am getting back on the two wheel drive. Going to be a little bit before I get put some serious funds in it but there is plenty of cheap work that needs done to it.

Every time I work on this truck a ton of mud falls off. I am going to pull the bed to get the frame cleaned off, service the diff fluid, fuel filter, spare tire carrier, and any other things while the bed is off. I am taking the rubber strip off of the bed in getting it ready for body work and paint. I have not used my stripe remover in several years and it has been doing a great job of getting the glue off. That stuff is messy but the stripe remover has made great work of it.

Last edited by Terrys87; 10-22-2017 at 08:36 AM.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I had to have the front frame horn straightened out at a local frame shop. I had the front end checked for an alighnment and it needs an Idler Arm and the Drag Link. I think Toyota calls it a Steering Relay Rod. Normally this is a quick fix for me but I have a Tie Rod and a connection to the Drag Link that just refuses to budge. I have a Pickle Fork on it with some pressure and will let it sit overnight and see if the pressure will eventually break it free.

On the two wheel drive, I have seen the Drag Link fail quite a few times. On this one probably hitting a ditch is the reason for this one. On the 89-95 four wheel drive trucks, Toyota had a Recall on them. About 5 years ago I got a recall notice for a 91 4Runner that I had on it from Toyota. Toyota said since it was a safety issue that they would still honor the recall. Really good for trucks that are 30 years old.

I have been driving a Rav4 for a work car. I have had enough of the front wheel drive cars. I think the Timing Chain failed on it and I just dont have the patience of working on front wheel drive cars. I will send it to the shop and have it replaced. The kids will be out of the house in a few more years and the wife and I have decided to stay with rear wheel drive trucks as I can work on them. No more front wheel drives for me.

I drive 80 miles a day round trip and have decided I will just make this my work truck. It will hopefully be on the road soon. I tons of miles on my other trucks and want to just keep the miles on this one. I have 9 more years to go until retirement and living in the midwest, you just have to drive a great distance for everything. A two wheel drive is much easier to work on and this truck will serve that purpose. I will eventually getting it to look like a new truck again.

Bb hi

Last edited by Terrys87; 11-15-2017 at 08:16 AM.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:18 AM

now see that part on my 79 i had to go to japan as a sourse for it mine was badly worn out as youd expect for a 79
Old 01-29-2018, 07:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face New Owner Hopes to Finish the 88 Project.

Terry it was a blessing to find your posts on the 88. My son purchased this a few weeks ago and when I first took a look it was a challenge to figure out the wiring etc. but when he found this posting it made things tremendously better.We are doing a lot of the little cosmetic things but the first big thing is we want to get the AC back together. Is there anything you can PM me to make this challenge a little easier as far as issues that you found etc.? I am thinking this is an 86 block so it should match up to the original hoses etc, once I find a new compressor etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Carl
Old 01-29-2018, 10:46 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Those dang crimps takes another victim
Old 01-31-2018, 07:10 AM
Contributing Member

We looked into getting an early Rav4 for a backpacking vehicle but the idea of dealing with the belt changed our minds. Little 2wd is coming along nicely if slowly. Worth is for your end results.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:13 PM

Received 663 Likes on 455 Posts
Originally Posted by Terrys87
For the trucks that have the Buzzer, you have to have the box installed for the dome light to work from the drivers side.... circuit flows thru the box to operate the dome light.
... Just bend this tab away from the coil and no more annoying sound.
or just remove and sell the buzzer, and replace with one diode - LOL! (Sorry, I just verified and did it today

Last edited by RAD4Runner; 02-11-2018 at 11:16 PM.