ShakeZulla's 94 22re build-up

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2012, 10:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ShakeZulla's 94 22re build-up

Well here we go...
Name: Jared
Ride: 94 22re pickup

Experience: Fixing cars since 16, have done numerous engine rebuilds and small body and paint work.

Background: I have spent a great deal of my days as a licensed driver fixing my cars that continue to break down. Normally you will find me under my 96 eclipse getting her ready for the autox season however my wife threw me a curve last year when she bought a jacked up Toyota pickup. I know it has 33ies on it but the lift amount I do not know (I tend to try to make vehicles lower). Well although being super clean and supposed low miles this thing is a piece of crap, not due to the 22re or the Toyota name, but mostly because the previous owner beat the hell out of it. So after fixing numerous problems I have decided its time for a rebuild, after all the cams are scratched beyond all hope, my compression sucks, head gasket blew and the head is warped. So after debating and going back and forth between turbos and swaps I have decided to build a pretty moded N/A keeping the 22re in its true form... somewhat anyhow. My wife wants a semi-dd (after all it has 33ies on it) so here are the goals.

Goals: To start we are going to buy a whole new head and I am seriously looking at 22reperformance.com's performance head with a more aggressive cam than stock, gotta love the 5 angle cut. Then from the same company I want to get the rocker arm assembly due to my rockers being as thrashed as my cams and the high oil flow rocker shafts. Next I will be going to lceperformance and getting their main, rod and thrust bearings for the block. Also I will be getting their dual timing conversion kit w/ oil and water pump. Then their pro clutch kit, it might be overkill but I tow an 18' sailboat and pulling that thing out of the water is hard on the clutch (opinion still wanted though). Then I will get a header, test pipe and cat back from ebay or a local shop. Other upgrades will be some broken sensors, oil gauge (hate idiot lights), master and slave clutch cylinders, fuel filter, injectors cleaned and flow tested and new head bolts (existing are stretched). I will take the block into a machine shop and have the cylinders checked for concentricity as well as the rods and crank checked out.

Questions:
1)After the shop checks out my cylinder walls and tells me I need oversized pistons should I go with a higher compression forged piston? I think the ratio on stock is about 9:1 and I noticed they have 10:1 and even 12:1 what problems would I have running a higher cp piston? I'm use to turbos where you want a lower cp to make tuning easier.
2)Should I invest in some adjustable cam gears? These are a good option for the distributor-less engines I'm more use to but the ability to adjust your tune with the distributor makes these seem not as important.

Here is my parts list:
http://ww22reperformancew..com/22RE%20Performance%20-%20Cylinder%20heads.html
Performance head w/ cam - 850.00
Rocker arm assembly - 350.00
http://www.lceperformance.com/
Main bearing set – 60.00
Rod bearings – 30.00
Thrust bearing set – 25.00
Dual timing chain conversion kit w/ oil pump and water pump – 390.00
Pro clutch kit – 300.00
Misc oem or equivalent parts:
Fuel filter
Master and slave clutch cylinder
Head bolts
Injectors cleaned and flow tested
Header (ebay) – 200.00
Catback (ebay/shop) – 300.00
Gaskets and broken sensors
Questions:
Adjustable cam gears
Pistons

Well even though I feel a little out of my element right now this 4X4 thing could rub off on me! Anyhow let me know how this looks guys and I am new to the 22re's and Toyota's so...

Also here is some pics...

Name:  DSCF1649.jpg
Views: 1215
Size:  222.7 KB
Name:  DSCF1666.jpg
Views: 1254
Size:  133.3 KB
Name:  DSCF1663.jpg
Views: 1647
Size:  161.8 KB
Name:  DSCF1651.jpg
Views: 1425
Size:  150.0 KB

Last edited by ShakeZulla; 03-15-2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:01 AM

Ok so update time...
I emailed 22repreformance.com and requested a quote and lead times on the preformance head, rocker assembly, adjustable cam gear and head bolt set. As soon as they get back in touch with me I will order the parts since they probably have a longer lead time on that head then anything else I will order. They suggested their standard 270 duration 220 @ .050 for my application. I decided against higher compression forged pistons because I don't want to mess around with upgrading the fuel system at this time. Next major performance upgrade will have to be an engine swap and I am not ready to do that to my wifes DD (married guys probably understand where I'm coming from). So I'm just going to replace the pistons, rings and bearings with new stockers.

I got a promotion at work which comes with a company car so when I pick it up next week I will tear into the toyota. Stay tuned... yeah thats right I see you guys reading my thread and not posting!
Old 03-15-2012, 12:50 PM

Thought I would also add the parts I have already replaced on the truck...
Front lower ball joints
fuel pump
cv joints
ignition module
head gasket
Old 03-15-2012, 12:57 PM

Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts
Looks like a good plan. Did you look at a perf head and cam from engnbldr? I'd love to see the cost breakdown from 22reperformane. Anyway, great looking truck, I will be watching eeven if not always posting.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:45 PM

Hey thanks for the post Cory.

I did do some shopping around and liked what I saw at 22re performance mostly because they are really detailed in their explanation of what they do even including youtube videos on it. I figured someone who spends that must effort on their description's of their products probably spends a lot of effort and attention to detail on their heads. The rocker assembly with higher oiling capacity rocker shafts was a no brainer. I decided to try 22re per. and will let you know how it goes. I probably will buy my bearings, pistons and rings from Engnbldr though and the rest of the stuff from LC engineering.

I'm bored out of my mind talking about this stuff though... I need to tear into the Toyota aka Wookie Slayer before I go insane. Pick up my extra car on Tues or Wednes, then I will have 2 cars that run and 2 that are in a million pieces! That's a great ratio.
Old 03-15-2012, 03:53 PM

Though I would post some pics of my head gasket fix that I did 3 months ago... Prompting this full rebuild...
Name:  DSCF1672.jpg
Views: 1160
Size:  137.2 KB
Name:  DSCF1670.jpg
Views: 1119
Size:  204.4 KB
Name:  DSCF1679.jpg
Views: 1342
Size:  182.9 KB
Name:  DSCF1680.jpg
Views: 1150
Size:  148.7 KB
I know, I know the guide is snapped on the timing chain. I was already yelled at for not fixing it the first time but seriously I needed the truck to get my wife to and from work (5 mile) for 3 months. Anyhow I didn't take pics (I will next time) but the cam and rockers are scratched up pretty bad. I got the extra cash so why not just do it right.
By the way when I pulled the head it was about 30 degrees and the garage was full of my autox cars parts so I braved the weather... at night after work... and wore this...
Name:  DSCF1678.jpg
Views: 1084
Size:  79.2 KB
Old 03-15-2012, 03:54 PM

Sounds like you've done lots of research. I have watched several of the 22re perf youtube vids, they def are meticulous. I have a spare 22re just sitting in my garage right now. I'm pretty slow with my big projects, but love to read what decisions people are making and why. Now go get on it so i can have something to read!
Old 03-15-2012, 04:55 PM

Nice to see some locals from Boise on here! ;] Waiting to see more and hopefully see you on the road sometime haha.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:25 PM

@ Cory - What are the plans for your ride? I know you had a kid not too long ago and that slows down the build process but pretty soon you will have an excellent helper that can reach into small areas! My favorite memories as a kid was helpin dad on the cars.

@ A2theK - Well I'm hoping the truck makes it till I rebuild. It started a little rod knock about two days ago but it has to take my wife to work at least 3 more times. So if you do see me on the side of the road with the hood up you better keep going cause my wife will be pissed. But yeah honk if you see me sometime man!
Old 03-16-2012, 08:13 AM

I use my truck mostly for camping/offroading trips, and all the places are about 4hours or more away, so I need it reliable and capable. I've got 180k on my engine and it smokes at startup. I did the rod bearings and timing chain a while back, kinda wishing i had just rebuilt it then. Oh well tho, now i can slowly rebuild this extra one. I'm not ready to rebuild yet, maybe later this year. Trying to meter how i spend on the truck, sure you know about that. I want a rear tire carrier, better brakes, maybe fix my ac for good. It's coming along but will never be finished.
Old 03-19-2012, 02:39 PM

I here you there man, I'm always thinking of something else I can do on my ride. Update, just talked to Jim at 22re performance and bought the parts. He said they will be ready to ship by Thursday which is awesome. I will list the prices when I get the parts and I will also post pictures for all to see. I got the following...
performance head... The expensive one
dual chain adjustable cam sprocket
head bolt set
rocker assembly
Old 03-20-2012, 08:15 PM

Update...
Decided I needed some tools for my upcoming project. Included in my purchase was a 1 ton engine hoist and a 1000lb engine stand... and whatever else the wife let me get while she was in a good mood and the truck was in one piece...
Name:  IMAG0020.jpg
Views: 1113
Size:  144.9 KB

Last edited by ShakeZulla; 03-20-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:30 PM

Xmas early...........
Old 03-21-2012, 07:18 AM

Wow, that is quite a haul. Can't wait to see that stuff from 22re perf. And your wife is great, she drives a toyota pickup and is happy about you buying all those tools.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by RMP8080
Xmas early...........
Haha or late!

Originally Posted by coryc85
Wow, that is quite a haul. Can't wait to see that stuff from 22re perf. And your wife is great, she drives a toyota pickup and is happy about you buying all those tools.
Yeah man I'm excited too I guess they are suppose 22re per is shipping the stuff tomorrow which is wicked fast. Yes my wife is getting awesome...er. It has been a long road though, I still remember her face when she came home and I had taken the head off of my car, nearly crapped herself and now shes use to it.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:16 PM

Update...
Name:  IMG-20120327-00007.jpg
Views: 1103
Size:  141.4 KB
Game on Toyota... I finally go all my crap together and am ready to go. I got a late start on it today but managed to pull the bat, window washer res, dist cap, and the intake to the throttle body. Tomorrow I'm playing hockey but hoping to pull at least the radiator after. Talked to Jim at 22re performance and he got delayed in finishing my parts (not a big deal) but they are ready to ship and should be heading out the door tomorrow.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:51 AM

Looking really good there. Love all the new tools, looks like a good size compressor, did you buy that to run air tools or did you just sneak it in with all these other tools?
Old 03-30-2012, 08:43 PM

I snuck it in!
I have some air tools but I decided it would make my life a lot easier if I got some more.

Update... Well I worked on it Wednesday and got pretty far. I need to install my new garage door tomorrow but after that I should be able to pull it in a half day on Sunday. Otherwise work has sucked up a lot of my time but whatcha gonna do? I have a 1 ton engine stand does anyone know off hand what size bolts I will need to mount the engine? Not a big deal just would be nice get them before I pull the motor. Anyhow wicked tired so I'm out, sorry about the lack of pics I will post some tomorrow.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:36 PM

Did you get the Pro Cylinder Head or the Street Performer? Either or let me know how it runs with it in there. Thinking about getting one myself.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:23 PM

@ A2theK - I got the pro one, I was worried that the cam would be too aggressive for a daily driver with no fuel mods but Jim assured me that it would be great for a N/A as well as lightly boosted motor. I am super excited and will let you know when I get it installed. It will be a little hard to tell how much the head alone will help but I will break down exactly what I am installing and the price. Also I will video some pulls so people will know what they can expect. The biggest thing with a head like this is opening up the exhaust to 2 - 2.5" from what I hear. Also I guess a adjustable timing sprocket is suggested. Anyhow Sat I was able to install my garage door and Sun we pulled the motor with no complications! It was actually the easiest pull I have ever done, so here's some pics!

Name:  IMAG0033.jpg
Views: 1133
Size:  141.0 KB

Name:  IMAG0035.jpg
Views: 1109
Size:  178.0 KB

Name:  IMAG0038.jpg
Views: 1178
Size:  128.1 KB

Name:  IMAG0037.jpg
Views: 1133
Size:  180.1 KB