86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

AssYriaNrocKer's 1995 4Runner Build-up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2016, 08:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lol Thanks man. I'm confident all will go well. I was planning on starting this weekend but I forgot I have family coming in from out of state. Looks like it will wait another week....daMN it....

-RONI-
Old 05-31-2016, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah, still have a lot to do to get mine in really good shape, lots of odds and ends to take care of before I can start throwing mods and stuff at her really hard. I try to do as much as I can every weekend, but like this weekend I had to step back and remember all of my friends who served and especially all those who died. So no work this weekend either, but a great camping trip. First of the season, WHOOOOO! lmao...family is the most important, got to take time for them.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:35 PM

OH MAN...What a process that was. This is a terribly long story that I'm going to cut extremely short. It all started when I came back from a Wisconsin camping trip. I parked the truck only to find it was dripping motor oil all over the place. It was so bad that the whole truck was coated underneath from timing cover to the rear diff. I cleaned it all off to find where the leak was coming from and decided it was coming form a bolt going thru the water pump into the cover. From here I decided I will do the front cover and while I am at it I will replace the chain and guides. Well that went successfully for the most part. I removed the front cover without removing the head or oil pan and it was a complete success...or so I thought. Wouldn't you now it the damn thing started leaking again. Same area and same amount of oil but this time it looked like just oil, no coolant. Come to find out, after getting a good look at it using a small mirror to look around, the timing cover had a hairline crack in it. I believe that this crack was the leak I was chasing the whole time... I just mis-diagnosed it. The crack is just under the hidden bolt, so sure, you can say maybe I cracked it by over torquing the bolt but I just feel like there is no way that happened. I used proper torque specs and the smallest amount of FIPG. Whatever the reason was, bottom line is I had a cracked timing cover. So I got back on the phone with 22RE Performance and ordered a new cover, new hardware, and of course 2 more shirts.

So there I was doing this a second time...removing timing cover without removing the head or oil pan. This time, of course, I didn't have to mess with any timing chain or guides... so just in and out with the cover. Of course with freshly set FIPG around the head this was easier said than done. I had it all together....started the truck....and...and...and....it started leaking... The oil was just pouring out worse then before but this time not from a crack....from the head gasket. That was it...I got lucky not tearing the gasket the first time but the second time was just to much stress for the gasket to handle. So with no further diagnoses needed I knew the only answer was to do what I had been trying to avoid the whole time...the dang head gasket. Ordered new OEM gaskets through work, took a break and went camping for a weekend, and got right back on the job as soon as I got back.

Looking back at it now that it is all over the head gasket really wasn't much more work than the timing cover. In fact I think it might have been a bit easier seeing as I didn't have to remove all the accessories. (AC, power steering, alternator, etc.) The basics of the job are; Remove upper intake, unplug wiring harness, remove header, remove valve cover, remove head bolts IN SEQUENCE, remove rocker assembly, pull head with lower intake still attached, clean all surfaces, reverse order install, cold valve adjustment, hot valve adjustment. That's the basics of it all anyway. I used a factory service manual to walk me through the whole process and I also replaced every gasket. In conclusion the moral of my rant here is.... Be sure of your diagnoses before doing anything! I could have saved my self hrs of labor and 2 weekends of beautiful weather if I would have diagnosed this correctly from the beginning. We all have to learn lessons the hard way sometimes....this was definitely a lesson learned for me. Now I took a few pictures along the way but looking back at them its hard to remember the order of things....I'll just post them anyway. (as soon as photobucket stops sucking)

Things that have been replaced:
timing chain
timing chain guides
timing cover
cam sproket
radiator
water pump
radiator cap
thermostat with seal
radiator hoses with clamps
valve cover gasket and half moons
intake manifold gaskets upper and lower
head gasket
exhaust manifold gasket
spark plugs
coolant temp. sensor
oil pump seal and gasket
rear head plate gasket (egr passage)

I think I vaguely covered everything. I usually like to go into more detail on what was being done but this time it was just too much. However if there is anyone out there with any questions I would be more than happy to help out. I have all kinds of part numbers and FSM goodies. Comments on my poor diagnosing are always welcome to :waytogo:

-RONI-
Old 10-12-2016, 01:02 PM

The start..

Name:  20160610_160849_zpsfjno9lmc.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  215.9 KB

Old radiator vs the new 3 row csf radiator
Name:  20160611_152738_zpsmeqzzy7u.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  160.1 KB

New timing kit on
Name:  20160611_095614_zps7sbhwtpq.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  182.8 KB

This is when the new timing cover was on
Name:  20160917_133452_zpsyocv69ar.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  195.2 KB

Head off at TDC
Name:  20161001_112318_zps5mmy3hkf.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  299.3 KB

The head is pulled off with lower intake attached
Name:  20161001_112322_zpszuaxiaer.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  283.8 KB

Last things are cold valve adjustment, purge cooling system, hot valve adjustment
Name:  20160611_171047_zpskjsvp1an.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  196.1 KB

I would've posted a bunch more pictures but photobucket's link module is not working and I am having to copy the links through the page source view and its painfully annoying...

Questions and comments welcome

-RONI-
Old 10-12-2016, 01:53 PM

Having to go through that trouble is exactly why when i started doing my timing chain kit i ended up pulling the whole motor and rebuilding the whole thing.

When i did mine i found the pieces of the chain guides stuck to the oil pickup. That in turn caused the timing tensioner to not get enough pressure which broke three timing gear teeth, broke the timing cover, and completely wore out my main bearings.

If i were you, pull the oil pan and get the pieces out if you can or if necessary
Old 10-12-2016, 04:38 PM

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts
Man that is quite the story! Glad you got it working. I just did a bunch of work well nothing compared to this with my cooling system to then having my alternator go out. I can only imagine what you felt with this thing!
Old 10-14-2016, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by 92ehatch
Having to go through that trouble is exactly why when i started doing my timing chain kit i ended up pulling the whole motor and rebuilding the whole thing.

When i did mine i found the pieces of the chain guides stuck to the oil pickup. That in turn caused the timing tensioner to not get enough pressure which broke three timing gear teeth, broke the timing cover, and completely wore out my main bearings.

If i were you, pull the oil pan and get the pieces out if you can or if necessary
Good advice. Had my guides been broken I would have pulled the pan and dug out the pieces, however in this case the old guides actually looked fine. I changed the guides and chain just as preventative maintenance while I was in there. I would love to have a 22re on an engine stand one day though...

Originally Posted by 84 yota dude
Man that is quite the story! Glad you got it working. I just did a bunch of work well nothing compared to this with my cooling system to then having my alternator go out. I can only imagine what you felt with this thing!
Thanks for checking out the page. These things happen...sometimes it's fun and other times.....

-RONI-
Old 11-12-2016, 05:30 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Just read through your Build. Love it man. I really also love your Runner. I have always wanted a 2nd gen 22re runner....but as you already know....they are near impossible to find. Someday.......
Old 11-17-2016, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by Gizler00
Just read through your Build. Love it man. I really also love your Runner. I have always wanted a 2nd gen 22re runner....but as you already know....they are near impossible to find. Someday.......
Thanks for checking it out man. They are a bit rare. Actually I dont think I have actually come across one in person other than mine. It's a bit heavy but the 22re pulls through....that uphill climb can get pretty darn slow though!

I need to update my thread to show the new springs I intallled. Photobucket is being a pain latley...I might switch to a newer hosting site.

-RONI-
Old 12-06-2016, 01:12 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Sweet 4Runner!
Old 12-07-2016, 04:22 AM

Thanks

-RONI-
Old 12-08-2016, 09:03 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
How in the heck have I never stilumbled across your build thread before? took me 2 days to read it all, but I did it. you've come a long way and the runner looks fantastic.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by space-junk
How in the heck have I never stilumbled across your build thread before? took me 2 days to read it all, but I did it. you've come a long way and the runner looks fantastic.
lol Thanks for checking it out. I've seen your name on this forum for many years. Glad to see you are still an active member. Long live Yotatech....now if I could only find some time and money to wrench or wheel this thing ......oh but at least I can show that this happened!

Stay tuned......

-RONI-
:headbanger:
Old 12-10-2018, 07:08 AM

Nice build, really liking the rig. I have a 92 that im wanting to swap out the 3.0 for the 22re. Glad to see the 4banger can hold its own =)
Old 08-13-2019, 05:55 AM

OOOOKKKK.....cyl. number 4 85 percent leak down. sell? replace motor with 22re performance engine? replace with cheaper used engine? heart broken....

Old 11-26-2019, 11:01 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by AssYriaNrocKer
OOOOKKKK.....cyl. number 4 85 percent leak down. sell? replace motor with 22re performance engine? replace with cheaper used engine? heart broken....

Replace. If i can rebuild 2 different 3vze motors, you're capable of doing a 22re.
Old 12-11-2019, 06:44 AM

Exclamation For Sale

Originally Posted by MaK92-4RnR
Replace. If i can rebuild 2 different 3vze motors, you're capable of doing a 22re.
You are correct I am very capable of performing a repair. I just don't have the time and maybe even the interest. I have had this truck for years and wanted to keep it forever but times and situations change. When I lived in Arizona I was able to use my truck every weekend. Living here in the Midwest my truck unfortunately spends most of it's time in storage. That along with some other personal situations have made me decide selling is the right thing to do at this time.

Some time later this week I will try to get it posted in the classified section. If a yotatech member doesn't grab it I will post it on craigslist and offer up in the spring time. Like I said low compression on cyl. 4 but still runs and drives. Not sure what price I will post for but If you are interested PM me.

-RONI-
Old 12-11-2019, 08:48 AM

Received 101 Likes on 79 Posts
That's the beautiful thing about having a truck that doesn't cost you anything to keep going. You can definitely sell it as is but you're not going to fetch nearly the amount of coin that you'd get with it rebuilt. Being that 3rd gen 4Runners are in the range of $3,000-$5,000 in Northern California, you might be able to squeeze $1250-$3000 out of it, as is.

My 4Runner is tired as all can be but she just rests in the garage (storage) until I can find time to give her the attention she needs. That's my .02.

I'd keep it. It takes an extra hand, a 12 pack of beer and 2-4 hours of your time to pull a 22re out. Find a used but low mileage example and you'll be back on the road in a weekend.

Last edited by MaK92-4RnR; 12-11-2019 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-26-2022, 04:50 AM

update...

I have since sold my 4runner....sometime in 2020. GF now has a 2022 sr5

Not really going to have a build thread with it. Maybe a few mods here and there but I can at least share a pic soon.

-RONI-

Last edited by AssYriaNrocKer; 03-08-2022 at 07:35 AM.