86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

90 Toy EXD CAB Diesel Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 10:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warning! Warning! Update update!

Alright guys, The Maine winter has past, it hasn't been to heavy but enough to prevent me from working inside, which is partly why I've been so lazy to update. I have alot of things going on right now, I'm swapping rust repairing my Nissan NX2000, I'm going to have to Transmission swap my brothers 2000 Limited Runner, and I'm currently in the middle of a cab swap on a 91 Red pick up. So bare with me and my slow a$$ updates. This isn't even counting the GF

I've been able to take my time and finish up the Armor on my front axle and upgrade my brakes to the FJ 60 Rotors.

During the build I used Amsoil synthetic.

I rebuilt the hubs and replaced everything I could possible with Stainless! and that does for nuts washers and lock washers for the differential (Which has the Spartan Locker installed!!!) Everything red loctited and spec'd.

EVerything that I couldn't replace with Stainless I galvanized for now. For those of you that have non salted winter roads, your lucky SOB's.

During winter I was still a professional parts Hoarder...my buddy at the Yard gets me my stuff fo free...

I currently have four Cabs two extended cabs, two single cabs and three toyota beds...3 pairs of fenders, a spare 80 axle, 4 drive shafts, 4 bumpers and 3 sets of doors, 3 Axles and countless diffs, oh and more hoods than you can shake a stick at....
Upgrading to SS extended Lines..

Flip Kit...

High steer cont.

14'' Bilstein 5150 shocks...

23 spline dual adapter..

New Dual Adapter Mount with Bombproof LTW Mounts.

I finally got around to installing my 4.70's in my rear 80 case all 23 throughout! (Shout out to Butler McMaster for the free press job! Best Machine shop in the state of Maine, and I'm not just saying that.) and for all you haters that say I didn't clean my case up enough...the f-er is only gunna get dirtier from here, dirty Aluminum looks better than a half a$$ rattle can job which the Maine salt will destroy in less than a year and look like junk anyways...

Alright, Alright boys, I know I've been slackin but I finally go to wrenching on the diesel. Its comin along for the small amount of time I have for it. I'm starting the disassembly right now. As for the Diesel itself, I'm not worried about Cleaning it and prettying it up like many others, cus I know if I do I'll be more wary of actually using it likes it's suppose to, dont paint it if its going to look like crap over time/run over ALOT of rocks and mudd.... I've thought about it a lot, just gunna brake clean it, look at the chain lack see if it needs a chain, valve adjust fit it with EGT, Boost, Oil Pressure,oil temp, Water Temp, as well as push button Glow Plugs/Ignition and the good ol' Hand choke out to kill the block via fuel.

I had talked to my pops about making the Adapter plate in Olathe, KS but his shop has been tied up for awhile. He mentioned he could do it for cheaper, however it would take forever to get done and unless I'm pushing big quantity it would be hard, overall considering the price of the materials its really a fair price, unless your create your own. I just know with the kit I wont have problems and ˟˟˟˟˟ is done right the first time without delay.

Whats happening right now
I'm Cab swapping for my brother which I will give him the spare 22re and I get the extra w56 Transmission.

I'm using the forward shift transmission, however I'm waiting to put the Dual Adapter on because I want to use the output drive from the spare W56 in the dual case in order to have no issues with lining up. I'm waiting on my 1600 ft-lbs Clutch and pressure plate from Marlin.
I'm going to purchase the triple stick kit as shown from RADesign.

Springs-
I've decided against the Chevy63's, although they flex like a bastard, they are super long, I'd just get to rear mounts and relocate them. I'm going with Trailgear 4inch superflex springs with 5 inch shackles in the rear. (I'm waiting on this. This goes for my fronts as well, I want no sag issues when it come to the extra weight of the diesel so I'm going with the HD 4in super flex's for the front.

Here's the 2000 Limited Runner I got for my brother on his birthday to haul the munchkins around...I paid 800 Cash for it.

Here's a few of the area I'm working, not the best but one hell of a make-shift if youask me...using those 33's! hahah

As you can imagine..the old School KTM doesn't help me get my work done..
Old 05-08-2012, 10:55 PM

I will post picture's of the Cab I got from RIDDARUNNER tomorrow/whenever the rain lets up.
Old 05-08-2012, 11:01 PM

The struggle at the moment is finding time to complete the build up!
Old 05-17-2012, 07:48 PM

Dual Cases :guitar:

Yesterday I had some spare time after work I installed my dual adapter! heres a few shots!

It was a pretty late night

I didn't clean the cases to pretty perfection, its only going to see more dirt and mudd and be tucked under the truck so whatever!
Old 06-03-2012, 04:05 PM

This weekends fun!

I got off of work this weekend, and pumped out some work...

First on the list was the cab swap I'm doing for my brother...

The photo is blurry, the rims with the flat will be soon be changed out.

The truck that I got for scrap metal looked like this....

This was the best we could do pulling the dent with a chain and tree, deep woods style..Then another Toy came into the yard and I was able to salvage it, the frame was rusted completely through and there was no saving it however it had a great transmission and low miles motor. So the cab was swapped
The Motor will go to my brother as a pack up for the new cab swap'd truck (good frame).
And I get the Transmission!

I was also able to complete the Triples this weekend as well!

So it was time to get on with it...it was a greasy hog... previous owner didnt know how to replace a VC gasket evidently...

I was able to mate the transmission to the dual cases.

Dual Cased, Triple Stick'd and looking for its Turbo Diesel Mate....
Old 06-03-2012, 04:33 PM

A couple of tips on the diesel. Tap the egt probe with the manifold off it's much easier. The only place it will really fit well is right behind the turbo inlet. On the shutoff it is also a bunch easier To run the vacuum shutoff. The way the linkage is set up you really can't run a cable. Also, check the valves on it and if it has over 250k consider rolling in a new timing chain.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:18 PM

Thanks for the tips Joe, I'm already a few steps ahead of you, I plan on checking slack next weekend as well as priced out the TC and evaluated FP adjustments... Valves are are easy and wont be addressed until the TC is evaluated....and as for the vacuum fuel cut, there's no way I'm running a failure prone electronic solenoid thats the last thing I need turning off driving down the road....I've already thought about the plan of attack and I'll keep you posted on it....

Last edited by TigerToy88; 06-03-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:25 PM

Sedalia, MO eh? All my Kin are in Kansas btw...stay on your side of the river! Don't tell me your a mizzou fan....
Old 11-15-2012, 04:47 PM

Dog Days are over...

So the dog days of summer are over....I was pretty busy this whole time with work and not having alot of time for the truck between my woman and the day light outside.
Most of the summer I repaired a 00' Limited Runner for my brother...I swapped the transmission and re did the frame for him... pretty clean overall. He needed a kiddy kart, and His old 1980 P/U was on its way out, I was going to make him pay for it but I gave him little red for nothing. I packed everything up with him and drove the pair all the way from Freeport, Maine (LLBEAN HOME) to Kansas City Kansas. The trip took us 25 Hours total.

I also rebuilt my bike top end...

I finally got my axle hanging as well....

Its not my best welding but it will do. I also braced it.

Currently I'm thinking about mounting my transmission and OM617 together and mounting it on the frame. Then doing a Cab test fit. I have a W56 TG crossmember and I'm mounting it to a 90 V6 frame, I think overall my motor will be pushed up an inch of where most people mount which could be problematic. Which is why I'm going to possible mount the cab for a test fit. My goal is to run a manual fan whatever the cost, I like the idea of the motor being completely power independent if and when SHTF. If this mean using all the space I have in the cab and moving things an inch back so be it. Even it I have to push my Radiator forward, its going to be manual.

I'll be using the this weekend to get everything in place hopefully.

I'm also contemplating my rear suspension. I plan to move the rear axle forward 11 inches or so for better wheel base length, this will help for the rockage. Right now I'm thinking 4in in the rear for springs, however I've also been toying with the 4 link idea as well, however this will require extensive gas tank relocation (in the back seat cubbys? who knows). However it goes this bastard will be a tractor, a flexy one at that...
4Link????

Here's some junk we have laying around the shop...