86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

87 Mountain Raider

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 Mountain Raider

So in March I bought this pickup for just under 1800 and became in love Toyotas. This is my second Toyota my last one was a 95 4runner Sr5 22re should of never got rid of it. My plans for this truck mainly consist of a light trail camping rig and would like to get a decent lift on it to fit 33s or 35s at least.
First thing first get the rust taken care of in my bed
New wind shield
New stereo ( can't stand the radio)
New tires
Rust on the roof sanded and painted
Oil pan gasket
Main seal is leaky
Timing cover dirty.
That's it to start. money is slim with 2 kids and a wife but trips to u pull it and Craig's list I shouldn't have too hard of a time. My brother is also a parts guy for Toyota too so if I really can't find something he might!

Well as of today I have done
Wind shield
Stereo
New tires
Got most of the rust taken care of
(On going battle)
Primered the washed away paint and sanded the rust away and then used "ospho" to kill the rust
Grinded out the rust in the bed broke a hole through about the size of a nickel I think my brother can weld it and then maybe Bondo or any ideas?
Here is some pictures of it now and I will post some old pics of it from when I first got it

87 Mountain Raider-forumrunner_20140722_161306.png

87 Mountain Raider-forumrunner_20140722_161332.png

87 Mountain Raider-forumrunner_20140722_161349.png
Old 07-22-2014, 03:54 PM

Nice. I've always liked the looks of these long bed trucks. Might be a tight squeeze with a family of 4 in a regular cab
Old 07-22-2014, 05:19 PM

Received 301 Likes on 207 Posts
Definitely not as roomy as the runner. Truck looks great thought, long beds just look so darn good.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:57 PM

The family does not fit which isnt always a bad thing haha. But I orginally wanted a first gen runner looked for a long time couldn't find a stock one in good enough condition for the right price. I didn't want to buy a trail ready rig I wanted to build it my self to learn. I'm enrolled in a auto technician program at a local community college and have found my calling in life here's a pic of the day I got it you can kind of notice the paint coming off the door right below the window

Attachment 98962

It had smaller tires on it and it came with a swamp thing of a canopy that is to big

Attachment 98963

I cleaned the canopy up and used it for camping with some milk crates and 2 pallets I was able to fit a queen size air mattress on top

87 Mountain Raider-forumrunner_20140722_205549.png

87 Mountain Raider-forumrunner_20140722_205559.png
Old 07-22-2014, 08:06 PM

I do have some questions about good ways to give my truck about a 2 to 3 inch lift so I can fit some 33s.
Bj spacers seem to end up in the long run doing damage to the UCA and cranking my t bars will make it ride like a brick. Is there a good solution for the front as far as ifs goes? I know I wana do some kind of leaf and shackle lift for the rear. I want to avoid a body lift and avoid trimming. What are some good Leafs I can loot from the junk yard?
Old 07-23-2014, 12:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Nice looking truck, looks pretty clean from your pics! I like the looks of it with the canopy! I'm sure someone will chime in on lifting the front, I'm kinda out of the loop when it comes to lifting ifs rigs, (im more of a SA guy, lol) but a cheap way to lift the rear is to do a Zuk mod. I did one on my 86' 4runner using the front coil springs off a jeep TJ, it cost me around $20, just cut the coils to length for the amount of lift you want, and slip them in between your bump stops.

Last edited by rustED; 07-23-2014 at 12:35 AM.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:09 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Great looking truck. Most trucks I see with that stripe pattern have most of the options factory installed. Welcome to Yotatech and looking forward to your build.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:34 AM

Thanks. The truck is in great shape for its age the engine has 193k on it and I dunno if there has been any work done to it. There's no skid plate I dunno if this year came with one my old runner had one.
The guy I bought it from was selling it for his neighbor and he said he thinks that there had been something done to the fueling system. There's a aftermarket temp gauge installed the stock one just sits at cold and jumps every now n then. I accidently broke off the clip that plugs on to the coolant intake next to the throttle body. I hope that's not the one that goes to the ecu here's a pic

87 Mountain Raider-forumrunner_20140723_071926.png

The engine seems dirty it sat for 2 years I soaked it in the Orange stuff and simple green took it to the bath and got most the gunk off the I really think the timing cover needs new silicone or I'm not sure if they use a gasket on it

It's been having a problem lately I think it's the TPS only happens every now n then I could get it started real rough at first then would even out and as soon as I would hit the throttle it would want to die.

I've read about the zuk mod looks good and easy and seems to give it a decent lift.
Thanks for everything I knew I needed to just start a build thread !
Old 07-24-2014, 02:05 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

It had a skip plate at one time but probably got removed when doing some work and never got put back on. I personally have mine off just so it makes it easier to work on and dont need it.

That sensor wire does break easily. On the newer trucks (87 an up) they dont have it. If there is enough wire to splice to it again, I just solder it. Usually it breaks close to the plug and you will need to find another one off of an 85 or 86 to splice it in. Really not sure what that sensor does as I have seen several broken and never cause any issues.

TPS issues are a pain in the rear but overall they cause very few issues. Usually it is vacuum lines that are not routed correctly or leaking. Vacuum leaks, dirty EGR, dirty plenum from the EGR, needing a good tune up, cleaning all of the sensors can make a big difference. Here is some info that may help>>> https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f198...l#post52044719

Last edited by Terrys87; 07-24-2014 at 02:09 AM.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:18 PM

Wow awesome thank you. My brother is getting a fixed wire and new cap for me from Toyota. Just got back into town from tour to California and time to see what's up with the tps and egr. My last runner had a 22re as well and the idle started going down slowly a friend of mine is a diesel mechanic and he had some silicone spray and slowly went over the vacuum lines and found that the egr valve? Was not tightened all the way. Fixed that and it ran great so I'm gonna take a look at the egr and go over all my vacuum lines. thanks again for you help!!
Old 08-25-2014, 04:30 PM

So today I took my throttle body off to take the tps off and check it clean the throttle body and flush coolant

87 Mountain Raider-forumrunner_20140825_172549.png

87 Mountain Raider-forumrunner_20140825_172607.png

And TB off

87 Mountain Raider-forumrunner_20140825_172703.png

So I got the tps off and it doesn't seem to be slow or sticky at all. The butterfly valve is sticky so that's getting cleaned but could that cause my tps to throw a code? So I went to purchase my first multimeter and i will test it a little later. I also have to splice a new wire and cap onto my coolant intake
Old 08-26-2014, 11:27 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Which code is it throwing? 7 and 11 have to do with the TPS.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:51 PM

I got codes 4 5 and 7. The sensor on top of the coolant intake got disconected when I was trying to take the tps off so i have a new cap and wire to splice. I'm thinking the tps code May have been because the valve is so dirty and the spring on the dash pot is pretty much useless. I need to learn how to use the multimeter I just got so I can figure out if my tps is dead or not. Because if it's not I'm gonna return the 90 dollar part.. I'm gonna clean it up nice and clean up the o2 sensor with Tb cleaner.
The tps mechanicly seemed fine pivoted smooth and the connection is good. All the vacuum lines seemed fine that are connected to the throttle body. Some one said to check my gas tank and fuel pump and change my fuel filter. Could any of those cause my mix to be rich?
Old 08-27-2014, 12:13 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

I will need to see what 4 and 5 are. The fuel systems get nasty in these trucks. I see someone say with a clogged Return line that it can increase the pressure and causing more fuel being sprayed in then what is needed. I have dealt with clogged lines and never had that to happen to me but guess it is possible.

Possible the Cold Start Injector is causing problems. Really check and see if your vacuum lines are installed correctly. I have seen that cause problems. Give all your sensors a good cleaning as well.

How is your AFM? I would check it as well.

Back to your fuel system. I mention it in all of my builds, I would give it a complete look over. Return line, tank, pump assembly, filter. They just get in such bad shape and is easily overlooked. Most I talk to when they see what theirs is like is quite surprised.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:27 AM

Hopefully my tank is ok I know the tanks on the long beds are bigger and more hard to find I will try to check the fuel system all out.I bought the truck from the original owners neighbor he said they had something done to the fuel system I'm not sure what he was talking about as to there are not any receipts. The afm seems to have been modded already it has black silicone all around the rim of where the control box is I'll take a pic later.
Once I get the TB cleaned and back on with a new gasket, burp the cooling system, a fresh thermostat, new sensor wire on the coolant intake and a possible new denso tps depending on if the old one is broken or not. I will take it for a drive to see if it starts up easy like before and see how it runs when it's hot.

Wishing I had more time and a shop with ac
Old 08-27-2014, 11:52 AM

So I attempted to test my tps I checked the VTA and E2. The ohm meter is set at 20k and reads 0.03 and then when I open the tps or should I say rotate the tps it goes up 5.00 not sure what this means I will keep studying this guide on 4crawler
Old 08-29-2014, 04:30 PM

So I attached the new tps today filled it up with coolant and attempted to burp the cooling system. I lifted the front of the truck left the cap off had the hearted running and got it up to running temp. I now have to go to work so I turned it off and am letting it cool. One thing I noticed now that the new tps is on when I engage the throttle and hold it just a little to maintain rpm s it now surges when I hold it around 2k. Next step? Is this when u start the adjusting process of the tps? How is it adjusted ? Is it just the two screws that hold it down and would I just rotate it a certain direction?
Old 08-30-2014, 12:57 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

You will need to use a feeler gauge and rotate it to a certain resistance. I just went thru the TPS settings and it is a royal pain in the rear. I had a difficult time getting it and a friend of mine did it for me. I am going to look into getting those allen screws off of 4Crawler. Other wise it is basically impossible to get it set with out pulling the Throttle Body.
Old 08-30-2014, 01:21 AM

Ok so it positioning it do u do while running or do it with a meter to get it right on money
Old 08-30-2014, 01:25 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

The way my friend did it was with the Throttle body off as that was the only way to get to the bottom screw. Using a feeler gauge and a meter. It sounds simple enough but trying to hold the feeler gauge, meter and making the adjustments, it really helps to have another set of hands to help.

Quick Reply: 87 Mountain Raider