Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

westjohns 82 slow broke build!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 05:32 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Dude, seriously? ..........I wouldn't compromise... there's just something so FLOWING about the bodies of these with the 'bed that's made for it' on there, ya know? Especiallyyyyyyyyy the lip in the bed sides! I would wait, OR, ................drumroll............. hahaha....................... CALL THE F-GLASS STORES! Not sure if they make one with that lip, which would negate it even being worth it, for sure... but worth a check, right?
Old 02-25-2012, 05:36 PM

Here's a pic of what they make... and THEY DO, in fact, have your bed! It's probably WAY more than most would want to spend,....but worth a look see, right? lol.... Eh, look at it this way... you'd NEVER worry about the bed rusting again, right? hahaha.

http://www.toyotafiberglass.com/with%20gate.jpg

Just go to the main site, otherwise, if you're interested in browsing around, ya know? >>>

http://www.toyotafiberglass.com
Old 02-26-2012, 07:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
haha thanks mark i had already talked to corey about a fiberglass bed and thye start at 1995 plus a tailgate for 420 then the shipping which would be god knows how much, i just dont see spending 3500 on a truck thats gonna be a DD and every other weekend wheeler, just not practical, ill prob just have a flatbed built, i still need to pull the old bed and patch the frame and floorboard, just been a slow week, also tackle all the wiring thats been poorly done undeaneath the hood, and i still need a camera!
Old 02-27-2012, 10:50 AM

Hmmmm, I'd personally wait for the bed, .......isn't that what you wanted, more so? Just keep in touch with your buddy with the yard, I BET he'll get one, sooner or later Flatbeds can be sweet! I just thought you'd wanted to get it looking like it was off the floor, decals and such.... Just saying, instead of putting money into a flatbed that you could use for a real bed when it comes available, ya know?

GOTTA be a wrecked one out there with an in tact bed, .....don't give up if that's what you REALLY would prefer, ya know?
Old 02-27-2012, 11:04 AM

well he just got one today but he wants 900 for it, beds are rare down here in the south next to the gulf coast, im not sure what i wanna do, ill prob just selll the whole truck, parts are hard to come by and when u do find them its an arm and a leg, just confsued right now
Old 02-27-2012, 11:07 AM

Wow, yeah, it's frustrating for sure.... and I'm betting YOU NEED WHEELS, NOW! lol... So yeah, it's stuff you have to weigh/figure out on your own, Josh, I feel ya!

Sorry it's been such a hassle for ya, man!
Old 02-27-2012, 11:21 AM

You COULD fly out here, give me one day and I'll send you home in a fairly clean 81-83, ready to get you back to FL, no problem, for under 2G's(It would still need some work, but nothing that would stop you from traveling/wheeling when you get home). I'll give you a couple examples..........

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/2869152081.html

If you wanted, I could pick this one up and restore it for ya! >>>> I have a motor for it and more>>>

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/2873559821.html

He'd take 2200$, I BET YOU! >>>

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...871393889.html

He'd take a chunk less as well>>>>

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/2826646123.html

Or you could go this route, and they're DIME A DOZEN, some NOT so cheap... some cheap>>>>

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...871191498.html

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac...867692123.html

^^^ >>> I know, I'm just trying to spark some 'diff. angle thought' for a minute... give you some perspective, ya know? ....

Bottom line, if I were you;

I would make a detailed list of everything I need to get it at least on the road, including bed. Post it up here....

Then, REALLY have a heart to heart with yourself and, while I know it's not realistic, most likely, to head out here/TX/Etc., .... you just figure out whether it's worth it or not for you to restore "THIS" current rig, ....then move on, either way, right? (I know, you're doing that... just make sure you remove ANY emotion from the picture, ya feel me? lol... Trust me, I KNOW, it's hard to let go...... Selling that blue one I posted up? HOLY CRAPULA! That was difficult... But it got me through a year of college, and I'd do it again, ya know?

You'll figure it out, Josh.... I admire you taking on this project... But if you need wheels, NOW, then yeah, you gotta either bite the bullet on some pricey hard to swallow pills... or let it go to someone who has plenty of time/spare parts/could care less about money, etc., lol.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:19 PM

yeah mark i know and i dont need wheels now, i have a dd, but i keep finding patches of rust in the frame and it just keeps getting worse and worse, i found a really clean chevy z71 id like to have so im selling the truck for what i got in it, 900$
Old 02-27-2012, 12:37 PM

Wow, that was fast! lol... Congratz on the find and I hope it's not full of it's own 'Domestic' Gremlins

Z71's CAN be really good 4wd's.... I had a friend with one, SAS'd, built up motor a bit.. thing was a BEAST!

Best wishes on the sale/purchase!
Old 02-27-2012, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Wow, that was fast! lol... Congratz on the find and I hope it's not full of it's own 'Domestic' Gremlins

Z71's CAN be really good 4wd's.... I had a friend with one, SAS'd, built up motor a bit.. thing was a BEAST!

Best wishes on the sale/purchase!
Ha, that turned south pretty quick! But good choice, the more I read on I wanted to say, no!! don't do it!! I guess in florida you do pretty much sit in salt water though..
Old 02-28-2012, 04:53 AM

yeah thats about it is the salt problems we have down here, they guy sold my z71 yesturday that i was about to buy, had cash and everything to make the deal, the more i got thinking the more of tired of switching vechicals, the yota stays, yesturday was a good day got the cab and cleaned out and removed the bed and started prepping the frame for its por15 treatment, also saw how severe the rust in the frame was and its very fixable, another idea i had was removeing the gas tank but it still needs to be mobile for now, also started soldering and shrink wrapping all the wirings under the hood that were ties together, should have "sammy" up and moveing sometime this week heading for frame repairs (dont have a welder or id do it) and to paint for sure, oh ya i got a camera yesturday but i have to update my computer for it to accecpt pics, yall have been a ton of help and i just can see giving up on the 82 just yet! its a yota classic, ill sell it too some goofball who will put stupid 44s and a 350 in it and ruin a classic truck, which i dont want to see happen
Old 02-28-2012, 08:09 PM

alright well heres my crappy cell pics for now, found the onwers manaul! well whats left of it.... shou;ld be going to paint soon! i keep holding on for a bed!
Old 02-28-2012, 08:38 PM

Glad to hear it man! good luck with it! por15 works wonders. You'll have her shinin in no time!
Old 02-28-2012, 09:05 PM

NICE WORK ON THE CAB, Bud! Good news! Just didn't want you to feel pressured to stick with anything/turn down anything......... Heck, EVEN A JEEP! hehehe.... Seriously, it's ROUGH right now, for many... and it sounds like you're doing ok, but still, gotta be wise, ya know? ............ Wise move, IMHO!

Don't give up on finding a bed, Josh.... there HAS to be one out there, even if you have to drive a bit to get it, yeah?
Old 02-29-2012, 09:53 AM

yeah but mark i think im just gonna flat bed it and make a really nice steel flatbed with a headache rack and all that. just fits my needs, maybe in the future if i can find one ill do it ut for now its paint, interior, rims and tires, found some 3inch lift srpings for 75$ plus shipping so for about 150$ ill be able to clear my 33 km2s for sure! also serviced the winch and painted the brush guard, ill take some crappy cell pics when i get home and show yall for sure!
Old 02-29-2012, 10:06 AM

Sounds good, man....

Far as the bed, hey, DO WHATCHAGOTTA DO! lol. But, .... just keep the 'rust' in mind when doing it/sealing it up, etc., ya know? Use all stainless hardware, etc., right? I love Brandon's(XXXtreme) bed, the wood one? Are you going to do side/slide bars, and a bed, or are you just doing a completely flat bed?
Old 02-29-2012, 08:05 PM

the more i thought of it mark id like to do some low side bars know what i mean? low enough to looks sleek but tall enough to hold crap in there, i was gonna do a steel flatbed, my neighbor owns a weld shop and get meteal for cheap so he can fab one up real nice for about 500$, just had to put 300$ into my dodge for the trans so untill i sell the dodge or my atv the truck sits awaiting paint and other BS parts, shouldnt be too long though, with a tight tranny and cold a/c a clean dodge should sell quick at 2200, hell the books 3900, but until then its just more sanding and spray primer, also still soldering and heat shrinking all the crappy wireing!
Old 02-29-2012, 08:11 PM

Keep at that wiring.... WHO KNOWS what you'll find and the drama you'll save yourself, finding it out, not once you have the thing as cherry as a reality show rig........ and full of spaghetti soup wiring! hehehe.
Old 02-29-2012, 08:17 PM

Some inspiration........(EASILY could add side posts/bars to it, hehehe... OK< it's a huge project.... but you see why it's one of my favorite flatbeds, ever! lol.......>>>>

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f88/.../#post51230966
Old 03-01-2012, 10:51 AM

thanks chef! i had never seen his entire flatbed build thread, just spent an hr reading it and looking at pics, id like to copy his almost exactly but without the toolbox and all that, except mines a long bed, wish my dodge would sell.....

Quick Reply: westjohns 82 slow broke build!