Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

westjohns 82 slow broke build!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 10:46 AM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Oh HECK NO! I'm not getting ripped for 'pushing' ya! hahaha.... Jk, ....

Actually, you can EASILY make that decision, with wisdom, if you're only honest/realistic with yourself. Here's a couple things to keep in mind.........

5.29's; You will NOT enjoy driving this thing 300 miles, each way(something I actually love, road trips) on some journey(I'm sure you have wheeling places nearer to you.... Maybe that's all you want to worry about, I couldn't know)......It would be at 3500rpm at 60mph or so, right?(just guessin, lol).... And I would IMAGINE the mileage(along with 36-37's) would not make you ecstatic, either(Sure, that could be negligible, TO YOU, .... again, I can't know that).

36's; Hey, lots of people do it.... Most of them are not DD'ing them, however(Some are, I did say 'MOST', lol). Again, no idea what you really 'need' compared to what would be very useful/plenty practical(like 33x10.50/12.50's, running 4.56-4.88's)..... remember, it's not going to be a race-truck without turning it into a stroker.... So you'll probably 'WANT' to work on that motor to accommodate the added gearing/larger tires. Right? You could run an Engnbldr Head/w/261 CAM and a header and have 'ENOUGH' to run 36's, .... or PLENTY to run 33's with 4.88 gears.

36's pt. 2; You're probably looking at lifting it 4-6", right? 33's would require only around 3", depending on what you want.... And then you'd be keeping it down at a 'safer' level for wheeling/saving a few on gas(which will be OVER 4.50$ by summer.... according to most whom would know, hahaha).

Personally(which is pretty much irrelevant to you, lol), I would run 32x11.50's on 15x8's and 4.56-4.88 gears, 3" lift....... I LOVE the look of that black one I posted up... But as a DD? Nah, it's just not practical for me, even when I WAS wheeling every weekend. Scuba has a nice looking rig on 35's.... Love that thing! He's also got a 2RZ, I believe(maybe 3RZ?), which get's around 40% better mileage and puts out more power, ..... and he doesn't have a ridiculous lift on it, which, from everything I've read on his and many other threads with rigs like his, keeps him at a very capable level and also safer, with a lower center of gravity(he also CUT on his fenders, which helped him avoid more lift). I would use the money I saved, not going to 36's and more lift, put it toward the engine and paint/body/suspension, etc., .......but again, that might not matter to you, which I totally understand. Bottom line? YOU HAVE TO BUILD WHAT YOU WANT TO DRIVE, every day(if it's DD)..... And, well, NOT build what you 'think' would be cool(Although, you could do that too! lol). My taste of 3" lift with 33x10.50's just might not be for you, at all!(I would go 33x12.50 or 32x11.50 if I was more Sand and less crawling, etc.... But I like the 33x10.50 also to keep from having to grab wider wheels... just need around 8"ers to run like my 32's run).
So, IMOH, you should just really feel it out, read lots of 'testimony' of those who have either, to compare, ya know? Then make a decision that you WILL NOT regret, in any way.

Just remember, ... you have a LONG way to go in the restoration of this thing.... You COULD, just saying, work on other things/make sure it's drivable for now/get it a bit more toward 'cherry', like I think you're wanting to do, then figure that stuff out, later, right?
Old 02-16-2012, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 02-16-2012, 01:58 PM

Thanks mark that's exactly what I was thinking as mind of an in-between type deal, I didn't think u needed a lift to run 33s on these first gens, ill prob do exactly what u said 4.88s and some 33kms with maybe a small lift. Replace the bed, paint it. And just throw some nice things on it like the warn brush guard with the winch, toolbox, maybe a trailer gear rear bumper and some sliders cuz I like the look, I posted some pics of the 22r and the front end which I stripped to sand down and rub out all the chrome and straighten the bumper and all that bs out
Old 02-16-2012, 08:10 PM

Yeah! Nice work, man! Looking good, and quickly, too

Yeah, like I said(Or should I say, "Meant to infer", lol.... It's TOTALLY up to you. And no, you don't NEED lift to run 33's, I didn't(Just some rapping on the pinch welds, etc.).... Scuba is running 35's and I'm not sure he even has ANY lift... I'd have to look. But again, it doesn't sound like you're going for "Rock Crawler of the Year", .... rather,... 'a practical and very capable, good looking 4wheeler with plenty on it to get into trouble should you choose to'......eh? lol. I ran 4:10's and 33's on an 86 with a fresh motor and had NO trouble(it did have a header and 22RE, but otherwise stock)... So it's all on 'how accurate' you want to be or 'be pretty accurate on the mileage but a lil more comfy. You could EASILY run 4.56's on 33's and be fine, still having pretty comfy RPM's on the freeway... And honestly, 4.88's are not that terrible windy compared to that.... But you would notice it when trying to wind that up to 80mph on the freeway, ya feel me? lol.

Yeah, ...... Totally up to you, man, ya know? I had 31's on that blue one, eventually, and it got TONS of compliments and took the trails VERY well... And it was a long bed 4wd, too.

I tell ya....when you get that all buttoned up and new clips/fasteners/bushings, etc., etc., ... they are REALLY tight! LOVED my 83!

Keep up the good work, man!
Old 02-16-2012, 08:20 PM

I mean its really debatable. i ran my 83 in the sig with 35s and 410s for a long time with pullin 20-ish mpg. wasnt too bad to drive long distances. went to 529s with 35s and was just find to drive long distances. would pull hills like crazy but i wouldnt really do over 65. and dropped to like 16-17 mpg.

Old 02-16-2012, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by BoredOutnJackdUp
I mean its really debatable. i ran my 83 in the sig with 35s and 410s for a long time with pullin 20-ish mpg. wasnt too bad to drive long distances. went to 529s with 35s and was just find to drive long distances. would pull hills like crazy but i wouldnt really do over 65. and dropped to like 16-17 mpg.

WOOT, look at that beast! lol.... Love that rig, BOAJU!

Yep, .... that's what I was saying, "personal preferences" are the key... and, well, for me, they change from time to time, lol.

Hope all's well, BoredOut!

I love Toyospearo's 82, too.... One of my fav's! Heck, half his stuff is 'one of my fav's', lol.. The flatbed is wicked, too!
Old 02-16-2012, 08:45 PM

yeah it was a good truck. I wish i had gotten a picture with the 38 in. boggers.
Wish i still had the thing. Yeah i figure 488s would have been a happy medium.
I always had people stopping me everywhere to look at the rhino line paint job. and take pictures with it. i loved that thing.

sorry, thread highjack over.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:10 AM

hahah yall are fine, im not all weird about my threead like of the other people on here, well the bad news is i lost my good computer so yotatech doesnt work for me at the house and i lost my camera to take pics with so there wont be pics for a few weeks, it was my grandmas computer and camera, shes lived with us for the past 3 years, now shes finally moveing out and takeing it with her but anyways ill prob buy a laptop and a nice camera next few weeks with the sell of my dodge, what i was gonna do in the meantime, strip the bed, por15 the rear half of the frame. and prob start stripping the trimm off the sides getting it ready for paint in the next 2 week! then ill start trying to locate the bed or build a flat bed ( i think long bed flat beds look weird myself, input is nice) then just start replaceing stuff after paint, found a set of 36 super swampers brand new, on toy rims for 1,000$ but idk if i should do an ifs power steering box and power steering or just non power steering, that would be a bear of a tire to turn, ill keep yall posted for sure!
Old 02-17-2012, 09:31 AM

POWER STEERING! lol..... Seriously.... Have you driven a rig with 36's and no power steering?

Sorry bout the computer/cam deal... you'll figure it out. Lots of good sales right now on Laptops and Cameras, just have to shop all the stores(Best Buy/Office Depot/Office Max/Etc.), and you'll find the best bang for the buck

Building a beast, eh? lol
Old 02-17-2012, 09:58 AM

haha yeah chef im really thinking about it, kind of doing an in between build between hard core crawler (dual cases, full skids and armor, dirty 30s) and a nice restoreing and maybe throw some 5.29s with a locked rear, 36s, and new paint, a decent bed and updated interior, bed bang for my buck ya know? ive never really been hard core about running my stuff in the mud and beating it too death on the rocks but more of just httin a hole once or twice and go somewere and heading out on the beach in the summer, just to camp and have fun and i think thats what im gonna do, 36s, 5.29s with an aussie in the rear, paint, sliders and a rear bumper, and keep the warn brush guard with the warn up front, i have 3,000 to accomplish this so it should be close, paint will be materials, 300$? tires 1,000 gears and a locker maybe 700$ and then the rest in touch up touch (dash bezel, seats, new carpet with peel and seel, god this things loud and a tune up!) i will keep yall updated when i sell my dodge and go buy a computer and a camera for sure, until then im stuck to the schools computer!
Old 02-17-2012, 02:20 PM

5.29's, front and rear, locked rear for 700$? WHERE IS THIS PLACE??? lol...... No, but just throwing out there, ... you need both front and rear to be 5.29's, if that's how you're going, ya know? Wow.... yes, you would be cutting it close, depending on whether you can find the gears used in good shape, locked already would be good.... But new? >>>

You can re'gear for a lot cheaper, just make sure you follow instructions well, ....it can lead to CARNAGE, if not, lol. The Aussie locker, ... hmmmm. Maybe you could find of of those mildly used, too.

Best wishes, look forward to seeing this thing rise up from the rusty ashes! hahaha. Doing good work, already, Josh...
Old 02-19-2012, 08:15 PM

alright guys the good news is no 36s, no 5.29s. no locker up front but rear yes, and i got a computer but to say the least its a pos, sold my dodge and still need to buy a camera and a laptop, this is whats going down with the rig, i just seafoamed it and it runs great now!, did oil change, and i changed the oil and ran it 15 miles and it back to being black already? never seen that before, did an air filter and oil filter and its running up to a top, i also found out that the truck isnt a 4 speed, its a 5, idk if thats a good or bad thing? also the door seals leak very badly lol! wish i could get pics, currently gutted the carpet and seats, ordered a dash and the dash trim bezel, also vut the bad parts of the floor, truck goes or paint next week, the orginal grey color, not sure of the color code, and also got some 16 black pro comp steelies comeing in, with a set of 33 kms for sure, just have the figuire out the back spaceing on the rims and tires still, id really hate to run spacers, ill get ,my camera and laptop this week, or atleast ill try and show yall whats up! gonna run 4.10s on 33s with an aussie in the rear and have a nice dd!
Old 02-20-2012, 10:35 AM

^^ Can't wait to see your progress sounds like its going to be great! So you are going to go with 5.29's then?
Old 02-21-2012, 06:31 AM

well everytime i say im not i keep getting deals pop up like a set of axles with 5.29s and detroits for 800 and 36s for 1000 so thats 1800 which i have, but i also noticed some rot holes on the frame that i didnt catch when i first looked at the truck so ill have to have that patched ansd reinforced, then cut the floor and have it patched and get this thing to paint is my first on the whole list, for now just getting in running and driveing condition, also need my power steering hooked up. ill try and get pics this week for sure but im haveing a hard time cuz my dodge hasnt sold yet.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:18 AM

Sent you a PM, bud!

Just thought i'd throw up another SICK 82, just in honor of this thread(being one of my FAVORITE rigs on here.... which I mean LITERALLY and more broadly as well/I LOVE the 79-83 PU's!)......

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f197...l#post51694014
Old 02-21-2012, 08:28 PM

Yeah toyos 82 has to be another one of my favs, I started sanding and primeing today, also have 6 ppl on the search for a rust free bed, paint should be done in a few weeks, really need to sell this dodge
Old 02-23-2012, 07:59 PM

got the carpet pulled and its gonna need a driver floor pan for sure, still no luck on a bed and paints on hold until i find one as useing the pro paint both is a one time deal so it has to count, if i dont maybe a flat bed? any ideas guys?
Old 02-24-2012, 06:53 AM

Seem's like there is always flat beds on craigs for a good deal and there easy to touch up to look nice.
Old 02-24-2012, 06:55 PM

Just saw an 83 at Pick-Your-Part, today! DANG I wish I could just grab one for ya... lil big of an item though, haha..... Best wishes, man! Have you thought about a Hybrid, like putting an 84-95 Bed on there?(I'm sure it's WAY too much work and might not even come close to fitting, lol.. But I'M SURE someone has done it, ya know? lol).

Best wishes, Josh!
Old 02-25-2012, 06:28 AM

yeah mark that seems to be the only way to find a rust free bed an i talked to one of my guys and he said a second gen bed would fit so hes searching for one down here, even those are hard to find, the 3rd gen trucks on the other hand are easy but there 6in too wide for the mount and i dont want the body sticking out past the cab, as far as flat bed goes i just think id look weird on a long bed buy who knows i could be wrong, def gonna buy a camera as soon as i sell my dodge, off to work guys! updates soon for sure!

Quick Reply: westjohns 82 slow broke build!