Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

81' Pickup DD/mild build

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 10:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile 81' Pickup DD/mild build

I've had this truck almost a year now and love it! I daily drive it and have plans to continue doing so for many years to come. The main reason I thought I'd start this thread is because I am starting to do quite a bit of interior work and I couldn't find anyone out there that was posting info/pics on what I was doing. So here goes, enjoy
Old 08-05-2015, 12:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Most of what I have done, feel free to ask questions and give me feedback!

This was on the day of purchase, 190 some odd thousand miles on body, about 20k on engine, very little rust. Overall a pretty nice pickup, it took me about 6 months to find one that met my standards. Payed $4300 for it

Its an SR5 model with factory ac and all that jazz (tho the ac has been ripped out hahaha) and shes got a 22r with a 5spd

Pretty much all of the performance mods that I planed on doing were already done. Weber carb, header, full 2.5" exhaust, rv cam, etc. and in reality it was much cheaper this way

One of the first things I did was bought a winch for it, and set to work on a winch plate, this is what I came up with:

Here is a shot of the underside, the holes are for the bolts that hold the winch down.

Paid $270 for this m8000 on Craigslist without truly knowing if it was going to work or not... (as you can see the wiring was a rats nest) but I figured it would still be cheaper if I had to buy a new control box for it than to buy one new. I bent up a piece of plate to secure the solenoids to (as it was missing) and remade all the connections on the wires

I ended up mounting the control box under the hood on my fender because A, it would be more protected, and B, it was a mess and hard to mount anywhere else...

Finished product (for now) I'm happy with the way it turned out, its fairly low profile which I like and still looks kind of stock. I plan to build the rest of a bumper off of it but have not had that kind of time.

Because I drive this truck everyday things like the hacked up radio install are rather bothersome. You can see the trimming of the dash on the bottom right corner and the hacked up plastic bezel.

I bought a new dash for it to fix that chopped corner

Here is the 2wd pickup that I pulled the dash from and its even blue!!

Current state of the dash as I pulled the left side off to start what I plan to do to both sides. I also picked up a factory SR5 steering wheel for 10 bucks at a 4x4 swap meet (yes its mounted strait the wheels are just turned)

Far from finished, this is a few hrs in with the grinder and dremel... its going to be a long project...

I peeled off the wood decal and stuck it to a piece of card stock for a template, the other side of the dash is going to be a bit harder because of the radio.

I original was going to use a piece of aluminum from a road sign but I found a piece of stainless that is a bit thinner and stronger so I decided to use that instead. I wanted to make a plate to lay on top of the factory one so that I could relocate my radio and such wherever I wanted without having to cover up any holes. Let me know if anyone has any suggestions, I haven't seen anyone else go about it this way so I'm curious to see how it will turn out.

Here are some seats I picked up, I think they are out of a 2nd gen base model 4runner, but I'm not sure.

Main reason I wanted new seats was this: they needed to fold down so I could actually use what little space I have in the cab.

The instal took a little work, I ended up removing the tracks from my old seats (factory ones) and the new tracks, welding a frame across the bottom of the new seats to bolt the old tracks to. If you can follow that hahah

Here is a side shot without the plastic cover.

better shot of what I did underneath, I did this so that I wouldn't have to drill any holes in the truck and so the seats would be super easy to take in and out.

Took the bed off the other day to paint the frame so it wouldn't rust any more.

after a few coats of paint its now protected ...for now...

Pile of gravel in an empty parking lot means play time.

first mild wheeling trip

currently what she looks like on the outside (after a fresh bath)

more messing around at my friends house (hes the one looking derp on the right ahhahah)

My truck with my sisters 3rd gen. shots at at kind of a weird angle.