Notices
The Classifieds GraveYard Where old classifieds threads go that are too good to let go

1984 toyota 4runner FOR SALE

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 1984 toyota 4runner FOR SALE

I have 2 toyota vehicles that are for sale. They are both 4x4.

Both of these spectacular trucks are located in Buffalo, Wyoming. They have
both been rebuilt and gone completely through by Js Engine and Repair(me). I specialize in repairing and rebuilding Toyota trucks and SUVs. I have been building these trucks for 5 years. Top of the line parts used all around and anything that was worn or damaged has been inspected and replaced. I build these for ME and then sell them once I find a new project. Call Fremont Toyota in Sheridan Wyoming and ask them what they can tell you about James Curutchet if you have any doubts. They will tell you that I am a Toyota guru and that I have been building these trucks and engines(22R and 22RE) since I was 14.

A little bit about the 4 Runner first.

It is a 1984 Solid front Axel with 242,xxx miles on the body. I bought it not running with 242,220 miles on it. I bought it from the guy under the impression(from him!) that he had rebuilt the engine and that it was a sound road truck with out any problems(minus the bald flat tires?) HE LIED! The engine was dirty and a valve was stuck open, another stuck shut. He tore it apart and put a gasket set into it. The interior was trashed, as well as everything else. It had 242,220 miles on it after it was towed to my house.

Since then, I have rebuilt an engine from a 1987 4runner and installed it. The engine was originally from a 1987 Fuel Injection, the lady ran it out of oil and then over heated it, cracking the head. I have tons of spare parts and found a good core head. Someone else from Seattle had rebuilt the engine once before and done a pretty poor job. I believe that is why she over heated the engine in the first place. It lost a freeze plug and dumped all the anti freeze onto the ground, and when I got the 4runner it was out of oil as well. The engine did NOT have bearing failure when I tore it apart. The engine had been bored .030 over, the crank ground .010 under from when the last people rebuilt the engine. I had it honed and polished, then checked and the taper was well with in the limit, the engine had very little wear, maybe 25000 miles since they put it into the 1987 4runner.

I installed a new timing chain, timing chain cover, steel guide rails(no more worn out timing chain covers!) new timing tensioner, camshaft, valves, and had the head reground and resurfaced, Installed new rings, pistons, wrist pins, had the connecting rods resized, installed a new oil pump as well as main and connecting rod bearings. Everything was then torqued with plasti gauge and checked for oil clearances. Once that was all documented, I removed the entire emissions system(yep its sold for off road use only now), rerouted the belts, installed a new fuel pump, oil pump and water pump. The engine was completely disassembled and cleaned. All of the parts are top of the line from a supplier in Colorado. I have pics of everything available upon request. All machining was done by Top End Auto Machine(T.E.A.M.) in Sheridan(a performance shop, they know what they are doing and have been doing it for 25 years.The owner is named Dan and you wont find a nicer machine shop guy.) A complete torque and clearance sheet is available for this engine if it is wanted. It is built to Toyota spec, this engine is as good if not better than the engine that came stock with this truck. Its actually better in my opinion since it has a lot more power!

It has had all hoses that were old and ready to break replaced, and the rest were in sound shape. Anything that was worn or worn out in and around the engine was replaced(thermostat, alternator tested fine(not the original, it looks like it was replaced recently), new water pump, new bosch +4 plugs, new plug wires, new cap and rotor, new 38 DGES weber conversion kit, new clutch, pressure plate, throw out bearing and pilot bearing) After the engine was built and installed, I noticed that the transmission and transfer case had damage and were likely to break or not even function. Both drive lines were also worn out and broken.

I went out and got a 1986 5 speed out of another 4runner with about 100,000 miles on it(The odometer was gone, but it shifts fine and doesn't have the classic Toyota catch/grind into second!). I took the drive lines as well. Minor cutting was needed to make the floor accept the different placement of the shifters. After getting it all together and taking it for a test run, there was a loud growl from the front/rear end. The front end has been gone through by Jims Auto and Tire because I took it to them for an alignment and tire mounting they had to repack the wheel bearings and replace some other in the front end. The idiots didn't call me before going to work on it or I would have done it myself and taken photos. It has full photographic evidence of the work before, during and after doing it all.

I still have a growl/vibration in the truck when it goes about 55MPH or above and it seems to be doing it only during coast, not during acceleration or deceleration and I think its the rear wheel bearings. I am going to repack them and check out the rear end. When it is all torn apart, I will also install new brakes in the rear end and check out the front brakes because they squeak slightly. It has been fully lubed and greased. All of the oils have been replaced and have been flushed out as well. Basically, at 242,220 miles the entire truck was rebuilt. You are buying a brand new drive train with a body and frame from 1984 more or less.

The interior was trashed and there were no gauges. I installed volt, water and oil pressure gauges as well as a tach from equus performance(I got them from Checker auto) The original dash has idiot lights that may or may not work, as well as a temp gauge that doesn't work and that was not going to cut it. I wanted hard wired gauges for a performance truck like this. I installed front seats out of a 1994 Toyota 4runner in it. There is a small tear in on the drivers seat along the side, by the recline handle. It also had the rear plastic panels broken out and sun destroyed so i found used ones from a 1987 to install in it.

This truck is ready for hard core off-roading with some suspension work. I built it so that someone could lift it with a rancho lift or similar lift system(Ranchos are the best and are the cheapest quality complete ones I have found for the solid front axle) and put larger tires on it(33x12.50s fit with out cutting anything on the older trucks like this one with the solid axel) plus it has a performance engine so there will not be any power issues. The lower gearing in this truck makes it a blast to drive. Its geared for 1984 when the speed limit was 55.

Someone has replaced the shocks and maybe even the front brakes recently. It has a nice ride to it in comparison to my 1987 that I used to own. I honestly think that 1984 was THE year to own a 4runner if you want to go off-roading.

Everything in the steering is tight and trouble free now.You will not find another 4runner like this one with this much work.

The body on the truck is not the best. It began in Bozeman, Montana and when I bought it, it had an Alabama title and was in Wyoming. There is the classic Toyota rust in the rear fender wells, and someone has repaired the passenger side rust so it is hidden. They used bondo and cut some sheet metal and then riveted it into place. It looks pretty good, but is noticeable.

The driver side still has rusting and is not too awful. With some minor trimming, cutting and bondo work as well as a new set of bush Wacker fender flares the rust would be gone and no one would be any the wiser.

There is a patch on the floor board of the drivers side right by where your right foot would rest. It looks like someone either stuck their heel through the floor or had something come up through the floor when they hit something, most likely off roading. Either way, I cut a piece of sheet metal and screwed the plate into place over the hole. The hole didnt have rusting around it and thats why I am leaning towards something going through the floor at some point. I sprayed rust proofing up around the hole to stop any future rust.

I have countless hours into this thing, countless parts, and countless dollars invested and I am asking $7,000 or best offer. I feel that for someone wanting a 1984 Toyota 4runner, they have 2 options. Buy it for more from me right off the bat and not do much to it for the next 20 years, or go pay 3500 to some other person and start doing the same work that was done to this one. Also, I figure that if I were to charge the standard 50 bucks an hour, the bill to repair this truck would be just around 10,000 with parts and labor. It really is a good running Toyota and with proper maintenance it should last another 200,000 miles no problem. Once the rear end wheel bearing are repacked and that vibration/noise is taken care of I have zero doubt that this truck could be driven home, no matter where home is. I have put about 300 miles onto it so far and already would trust my life with this 4runner.

My number is 1 307 217 2160, My name is James. Please call or send an email to James.Harriet@Gmail.com if you would like to see pics or know more info. Anyone is welcome to come look, and is encouraged to come look prior to purchase. Once you drive it, the 7,000 wont seem like so much

Last edited by JsEngine&repair; 07-28-2008 at 02:40 PM.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:22 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
One of the most descriptive for sale ads I have seen.

Pictures would definitely help your ad.

you mentioned two trucks for sale? other truck is also an '84?

Last edited by dropzone; 07-26-2008 at 04:23 PM.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:23 PM

x2 on pics
Old 07-27-2008, 07:25 AM

I have a 1990 toyota truck with a ton of work as well but I havent had time to post anything for it yet. I got carried away on the 4runner. whats the best way to post pics?
Old 07-27-2008, 08:28 AM

1990 TOYOTA pickup JS ENGINE AND REPAIR
Thats the title for my other truck. thanks for looking!
Old 07-28-2008, 01:23 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
upload your pictures to a free service like photobucket.com than copy the [img] code (4th one down on the side of your picture) into your post, it will show the image than...
Old 07-28-2008, 01:54 PM

You think 7000 is too much for this truck?
PICS! these are before and during pics. It now has a new interior as well as a set of tires that match and hold air. Once I get back home, I will upload final completed photos of the interior, exterior, undercarriage, and engine and transmission.
rebuild engine assembly
Name:  IMG_9011.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  146.1 KB
Pic of only visable body rust
Name:  IMG_8914-1.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  83.0 KB
Before front right
Name:  IMG_8905.jpg
Views: 877
Size:  85.1 KB
Before with OLD engine(I put the performance 38DGES weber conversion kit on before realizing that the old engine was trash)
Name:  IMG_8901-1.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  153.3 KB
Before with old engine
Name:  IMG_8902.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  144.1 KB
Before with old engine
Name:  IMG_8903.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  136.8 KB
Before rear pic
Name:  IMG_8913.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  109.9 KB
Installed engine, hanging from lift
Name:  IMG_9004.jpg
Views: 537
Size:  145.3 KB
Installed engine
Name:  IMG_9005.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  137.2 KB
Installed engine
Name:  IMG_9006.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  119.5 KB
Installed engine
Name:  IMG_9007.jpg
Views: 517
Size:  138.2 KB
Installed engine
Name:  IMG_9008.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  120.5 KB
Installed engine
Name:  IMG_9011-1.jpg
Views: 497
Size:  143.2 KB
New clutch(PROOF)
Name:  IMG_9009.jpg
Views: 526
Size:  107.4 KB
Installed engine, top view
Name:  IMG_9010.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  135.4 KB
Old engine, emission system, tons of other bull
Name:  IMG_8901.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  157.4 KB
RUST! It ISNT like this on the other side, the other side has rust that has been patched and bondoed
Name:  IMG_8914-1.jpg
Views: 653
Size:  83.0 KB
Hanging engine
Name:  IMG_9011.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  146.1 KB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_8914-1.jpg (83.0 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg
IMG_9011.jpg (146.1 KB, 71 views)

Last edited by JsEngine&repair; 07-28-2008 at 02:35 PM.
Old 07-30-2008, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by JsEngine&repair

Yes, entirely.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by JsEngine&repair
Not if you hide about 5 grand under the seat...
Old 08-01-2008, 01:39 AM

Well considering that it is the 84, and all the details in the ad I would consider it a good 4Runner and hard to find as well. However the body is suffering a little and the price is more than I personally would pay but I have much love for the 84 4Runner. If the body was mint I would consider paying for a rare find, just not $7k. Just my two cents but GL
Old 08-01-2008, 12:23 PM

Make An Offer Then!
Old 08-01-2008, 02:38 PM

2500 as long as I can drive it back home safely
Old 08-02-2008, 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by GroceryGetter
2500 as long as I can drive it back home safely
Safely? What do you mean? this is my daily driver, of course you could drive it home safely and theres nothing wrong with it now. Fixed wheel bearings and ujoints and its 100%.There is body rust, yes, but there is not any frame rust. And no, im not selling it for that cheap. Double that and we will start talking.
Old 08-02-2008, 11:07 PM

Did you repack the rear "sealed bearing"?
Old 08-03-2008, 12:22 PM

if that is worth eve 5k then i need to up my asking price from $8000 to $15k for mine. i just sold a rust free 85 with EFI for $2500. put that on ebay and you will see how much it will bring, i highly doubt it would even hit 2k. just speaking from experience, i have sold over 40 84 and 85 runners.
Old 08-03-2008, 12:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you gotta remember how screwed up the economy is. people are stingy with their money, i highly doubt you;re gonna get 7 G's for that. fix the rust and give it a new paint job, then maybe. these trucks are bottomless pits... you almost never get anywhere close to the money you put into it when you sell it. good luck though
Old 08-09-2008, 12:34 AM

lol well I guess Im keeping it unless I get what I want! Still for sale though!
All problems are fixed now. rear ujoint was out AND the rear pinion seal as well.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:16 AM

A rig with that rust and even with a rebuilt 22R would only net around $2K anywhere in the country. TOPS!

A brand new long block only runs around $1150 anyway, so its not like that motor is worth that much.

The 84's just aren't that desirable with the carb'd motor. I understand the frame isn't rusted, but it doesn't matter when the body is where the $$$ is at.