Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Quiet, smooth riding tire for all weather conditions - Bridgestone Revos overkill?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 05:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quiet, smooth riding tire for all weather conditions - Bridgestone Revos overkill?

I know that the Revo is the golden boy tire of Yotatech. I need a new set of tires. My requirements are as follows:
1)Quiet, smooth ride
2)Good gas mileage
3)Dependable performance in all weather conditions (including quite a bit of snow here in New England)

I never take my truck off road. My question is whether the Bridgestone Revo is an appropriate tire and if you guys have any other suggestions for make/models.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:25 AM
lee
Contributing Member

yep it sure is.

another good choice is the Michelin LTX M/S... they apparently wear really well and perform well in bad weather.

where in boston are ya? too bad you dont offroad, we have a great 4runner owners club (www.ne4roc.org) here
Old 10-17-2005, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff_M
I know that the Revo is the golden boy tire of Yotatech. I need a new set of tires. My requirements are as follows:
1)Quiet, smooth ride
2)Good gas mileage
3)Dependable performance in all weather conditions (including quite a bit of snow here in New England)

I never take my truck off road. My question is whether the Bridgestone Revo is an appropriate tire and if you guys have any other suggestions for make/models.
Cooper has a number of good AT/All season tires as swell that are very popular on the non-offroading SUV's in my area, from Highlanders to Suburbans. Worth a look.

The Nokian Vatiiva is another good one.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:51 AM

I had dueler ATs (non-revos) for about 45k miles in upstate new york. IMO, NEVER SKIMP ON TIRES. They are the only thing that contacts the road... why would you cheap out on something like that?

I had terrific luck with the Duelers, but their performance in unpacked snow (more than 3 inches or so) was awful. The treads pack with snow and it's basically like driving with slicks. Performance in ALL OTHER areas was outstanding.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:51 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have 67K miles on my BFG Long Trails, and plenty of tread left. The have been great in rain, and the few times I was in significant snow they did just fine. They've easily handled the easy to moderate off-roading I've done with them. They're much more quiet than typical AT tires. And they don't look half bad, either! If/when they need to be replaced, I'll consider Revos (and others), but then again I might just buy another set of BFG LT's.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by jacksonpt
I had dueler ATs (non-revos) for about 45k miles in upstate new york. IMO, NEVER SKIMP ON TIRES. They are the only thing that contacts the road... why would you cheap out on something like that?

I had terrific luck with the Duelers, but their performance in unpacked snow (more than 3 inches or so) was awful. The treads pack with snow and it's basically like driving with slicks. Performance in ALL OTHER areas was outstanding.
I guess "overkill" was the wrong phrase. I wasn't suggesting that I purchase cheaper tires. I just meant that if I'm gonna spend ~150 bucks per tire, I don't want the money going towards great off road performance (off roading may be in the future, but for now this is my daily driving street queen). How do the Revos compare to the Dunlop OEM's in terms of ride quality/gas mileage/quietness?
Old 10-17-2005, 06:31 AM

No experience with the Dunlops... the Duelers I had were better than the stock Firestone Wilderness ATs I had in every regard. My wife said the Duelers were slightly louder, but I didn't notice it. Treadwear was a little better, traction was a ton better.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:19 AM
Contributing Member

Revos are not overkill. I strongly recommend them as the on-road choice for our vehicles. Next are the Michelins.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff_M
I guess "overkill" was the wrong phrase. I wasn't suggesting that I purchase cheaper tires. I just meant that if I'm gonna spend ~150 bucks per tire, I don't want the money going towards great off road performance (off roading may be in the future, but for now this is my daily driving street queen). How do the Revos compare to the Dunlop OEM's in terms of ride quality/gas mileage/quietness?
Toyo Open Country A/T tires.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lee
yep it sure is.

another good choice is the Michelin LTX M/S... they apparently wear really well and perform well in bad weather.
I have the LTX's now (they were marginal when new) and I think they stink in snow, even with 4WD then it barely brings the truck back into the driveable range in deep snow and ice (which we get alot of up here so I can say that firsthand). I was going to try the Revos next, but I am not ready to drop $1k right this second on new tires.

I will say that if you can tolerate poor snow and ice performance (remember most of the winter is just dry salt or wet) the the LTX's are the smoothest highway tire running for an SUV, pretty good in rain, great on mileage and they wear like iron.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 10-17-2005 at 10:57 AM.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:00 AM
Contributing Member

You might also look in to the Bridgestone Dueler HL Alenza. They are a highway tread, but have the same technology as the Revo.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:35 PM
Contributing Member

the BFG long trails are a good tire and wear pretty well...mine have about 20k on them and look pretty good still....they are wearing kind of uneven in the front on the inside

might be my alinement but its very straight and doesnt pull to a side and theres no shaking..infact my trucks smoother at highway speeds than my dads 99...till he got revos

Ive had trouble a few times in when starting out on a hill when its raining
Snow they were great last winter i NEVER got stuck even in some bad conditions.
On road you can't hear the tire at all...they do corner nicely but i dont know how they are new with cornering...that changes a lot from right off the rack.

Not a bad tire at all..
Old 10-17-2005, 09:49 PM

If you're dealing with snow and ice with some regularity in the winter you should get a tire rated as such (in my opinion). The Revo's and BFG A/T's are about as versatile as it come
Old 10-18-2005, 02:01 AM
Contributing Member

I've got the Michelin LTX's, and like Jamie said, they are not the greatest tire in the snow. But 90 % of my driving is highway, and I like them. I've put about 50k (miles) on them and you'd never know that they have never been rotated. Little road noise and great wear.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
I have the LTX's now (they were marginal when new) and I think they stink in snow
My two sets were very good in snow, and I got over 100 k on one set (the other vehicle I sold before I could tell). However, I had the LTX A/T's. The cheaper LTX M/S may not be as good.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:53 AM

I love Michelins, but I wonder why nobody looks at the Firestone Destination AT. We had a set on our '03 Grand Cherokee and they were great. Excellent dry traction, good wet traction and hydroplane resistance, could not see any wear for the 10k miles they were on until we traded it. We don't live where it snows. They weren't too noisy either, with a decent AT tread. I am going to throw on a set of Destinations if there is no rebate on the Dueler Revos. Last time I checked on TireRack, the Revos had a $75 rebate, very attractive. The Destinations are the same compound as the non-Revo Dueler AT. Not to mention the Destinations are around $100 per tire, an excellent value.

Last edited by Georgia4Runner; 10-18-2005 at 11:54 AM.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by steveh
My two sets were very good in snow, and I got over 100 k on one set (the other vehicle I sold before I could tell). However, I had the LTX A/T's. The cheaper LTX M/S may not be as good.
The tread is very different on the A/T's....

M/S's:

A/T's:

I may try the A/T's if they are not too noisy, are they?

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 11-24-2005 at 09:32 AM.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:58 PM

FYI - I decided to go with the Revos. I had Firestone match the Tire Rack price of $584 shipped for a set of 4 Dueler A/T 265/70/R16's. I purchased the road hazard package as well for about $25 per tire. I know that the consensus is that this is generally a ripoff, but my job requires driving through a lot of industrial parks and I've picked up nails and such in the past. I've only put a bout 60 miles on the tires, but I can say this much:

Pros:
1)A lot sturdier and make going over potholes, cracks, and joints in the road feel like I have an upgraded suspension
2)Grip on dry roads is at least as good as the factory Dunlop Grandtreks (no chance to try them on wet roads, which is ironic since it's been raining in MA/NH for as far back as I can remember)
3)Looks - I know this is superficial, but hey, they are badazz. I have the black side of the tires facing out. A little more subtle, but the rear profile of the tread makes these things look mean!

Cons:
1)They are definitely a bit louder at highway speed (for some reason more noticeable around 60 than 75). The sound is more rhythmic as opposed to a uniform hum.
2)Vibration through the steering wheel above 60mph is more pronounced.

The verdict is out on the fuel mileage effects, but you guys will be the first to know. By the way, I ordered these on Friday, the last day of the rebate, but didn't pay until today. The Firestone manager suggested trying to send the rebate in anyways and claim a stock issue. Anyone have a link to the rebate pdf?
Old 10-18-2005, 12:59 PM

AT's:

Now the A/T is a different animal. I bought a new set back in March 2004 the very same day i bought my 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee. They were, to this day, the best set of tires I have owned. The treadwear was phenomenal and you really had to try hard to make them squeal. Nice ride and only a little bit of noise. I drove the Jeep like an idiot. It was a 4x2, so when I went off-road with my buddies, we were always afraid I would get stuck. My friends had no clue Michelin made an AT, but the LTXs made a lasting impression. Those tires took the 4x2 Jeep EVERYWHERE. No flats either. I know that the design is pretty old, not sure if they even make them anymore. Great tire!
Old 10-18-2005, 01:03 PM

LTX's:

AT's:

i have the a/t's and they're quiet and decent in the snow. i do have a set of winter duelers for heading into the mountains, but the times that i have used my ltx a/t's in the snow i've had no real problems. like other's have said, they last forever. in fact, i wish mine would wear out so i could get some 33's or something more off-road worthy.

Quick Reply: Quiet, smooth riding tire for all weather conditions - Bridgestone Revos overkill?