Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Quiet, smooth riding tire for all weather conditions - Bridgestone Revos overkill?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2005, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok Ive been doing quite a bit of lurking lately, especially on tire threads. LOL @ 'tire threads'...that sounded like 'tire treads'...

Anyway - I have to admit the Bridgestone Dueler AT REvos def look badbass..but I cant afford those right now. Hell I got 2 young kids - maybe after we stop buying diapersl...

Does anyone have the Yokohama Geolandars AT+II? Are they decent or are they crap? Aslo whats the deal with the 'Dean' tire Ive been seeing?

www.vulcantire.com

Thanks guys!
Old 10-25-2005, 06:04 PM
Contributing Member

I got a set of BFG long trails with about 5k on the... theyre still in great condition and theyre cheap... let me know...

pat
Old 10-25-2005, 06:06 PM

my vote for YOKO AT II+ these tires are quiet, look super rad, and so far have me very impressed!!!
Old 10-25-2005, 06:39 PM

Here's another guy that detested his Michelin LTX M+S tires in the snow. They were so lacking in grip that they were dangerous. Don't get me wrong - the LTX M+Ss I had were well on their way to a 100K lifespan when I sold my '98, were quiet and rode smoothly. But I'd NEVER buy another set if I still lived where it snows.

The Michelin Cross-Terrains on our '03 ride even better, are quieter yet, steer more crisply and are very decent in snow and ice. I doubt they'll last for the phenomenal distance the LTXs did, but even if I have to replace them at 70K miles, it'll be with another set of the same. IMHO, they're great tires.
Old 10-25-2005, 08:46 PM

I have the X-radial LT(same pattern as the LTX M+S). They are not anything to write home about for sure. I had a set of Dayton Timberline A/Ts on a awd astro and they where awsome compared to these tires. They wear good but they don't have the greatest dry grip and in the wet they don't do the best either imho. I think I'm going to go with some Daytons or Revos depending on my $$$ situation next summer on a second set of rims for next winter and just drive the Michelins in the summer.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:38 PM

another vote for the Revos.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:20 AM
Contributing Member

go with the revos

I love my Revos, they are quiet and have not left me anywhere, and they have a 50,000 mile warranty, most AT tires dont have any, they really are a great all around true all terra tire, from pavement, to snow to the trails here in WV I have not had a single complaint with mine..

Originally Posted by Jeff_M
I know that the Revo is the golden boy tire of Yotatech. I need a new set of tires. My requirements are as follows:
1)Quiet, smooth ride
2)Good gas mileage
3)Dependable performance in all weather conditions (including quite a bit of snow here in New England)

I never take my truck off road. My question is whether the Bridgestone Revo is an appropriate tire and if you guys have any other suggestions for make/models.
Old 10-26-2005, 07:39 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Sporin
Cooper has a number of good AT/All season tires as swell that are very popular on the non-offroading SUV's in my area, from Highlanders to Suburbans. Worth a look.

The Nokian Vatiiva is another good one.
Yea, I just bought my Taco private party and it had some fairly new Cooper Discoverer S/Ts. I notice little road noise at all, and off-road traction is pretty good for what they are. Check 'em out.
Old 10-26-2005, 08:21 PM
Banned

I would definately go with the REVOS. they are outstanding. The LTX MS are also very good. I ran those before i started to get into wheeling. THe revos are louder than the MS.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:25 AM

All-Season may focus on best road saftey for the vast majority use.

Lot of you guys run AT for off road. But really. How many do you actually see a challenging trail. And how much do you compromise security on the road to have that tire that allows you to go off road?
I am looking to find the best road only tire. Even with an expert behind the wheel and 4x4 action, a road tire can get you far. And when I'm serious for off road, I'd probably do a second set of wheels for the truck.
Since all of my driving is hiway I don't want to compromise safety and want the quietest tire as well. So I'm considering the best All-season. I don't have the funds for 2 different sets of wheels and tires now. Ideally I'd have something like one set for summer street & another for snow and off roading.
I live in Colorado. We do not salt the roads here. That's good for the car's body, but not so much if you loose control on the hiway during an emergency maneuver. Sometimes they use a chemical on the roads and lots of rock. There never seems to be the stuff were you should have it, or on the roads soon enough when you are out.
Sometimes we get this glazing. It's worse than a dry ice like Minnesota. It's a layer of powder snow over a warmer ground of packed snow underneath that's melting. That's like trying to fuse two watered down ice cubes together without letting them slip out of your hands.
So in other words. The roads here 95% of the winter months are good. The other 5% are like hell. So you don't want to be stuck with the wrong set of tires. So a tire for all seasons here is practically a must to be prepared all year. Snow can fall from September - May.
It seems, then, that most Terrain tires are usually noticeably louder for the roads and possibly wear faster, as well. I don't want to compromise that. So an all-season or touring tire with a medium composition for cold tire/road traction may be the best for this application.
That being said. I've done some research for this application. It's now been posted that the national standards for tires are more stringent as of this year too. So 30% of the tires out there are said to perhaps not pass these tests. The ratings from the manufacturer are not standardized.
So it's obvious to go for the best tire you can afford and hope that it is better than another. But for me, that's not what I put my trust in.
For most that drive an average of 90-95% on the road and a lot on the hiway, I think an All-season vs. a Terrain tire is more safe and quiet for best for all world averages.
I'm looking for someone that has compared one all-season to another. Anyone?
Can someone post a survay somewhere on this forum/web site for continual votes and comments?
---
Some are like a cross train that could work.

Newest Pathfinder sport suv owl (120$ each) (may be the best price value. But is mentioned less value for tred life. Softer composition may benifit for excellent preformance reports and be worth the compromise)

Yokohama Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S G051 (100$ each) (best overall ratings from various reviews)

Good Year Fortera Tri-Tred (160$ each) (Tri-Tred is unique.

Good Year Assurance TripleTred (good review for sucha new tire) (expensive)http://www.epinions.com/pr-Tires-Goo...splay_~reviews

Revo (how much actual tred life expectancy?)(how they compare to others?)

What have you guys heard or had experienced with any of these?
thanks

Last edited by erik; 11-08-2005 at 08:47 AM. Reason: new reasurch
Old 11-08-2005, 09:13 AM
Contributing Member

I don't get off road much as I would like but I do want an agressive look on the street too but I'm realistic that my truck being a daily driver is seeing moslty paved roads so I did a lot of research for a double duty tire but will still lean toward street performance but still be able to handle the rocks when called upon.

I looked at Revos (a little tame tread pattern but very good choice plus 50k mile warranty)

BFGs (Driven on three sets on three vehicles and great off road but so-so street manners and pricey and who doesn't already have 'em? )

Yokohama Geolandar AT+IIs (had a set on my '97 Runner and very good grip on the street but that also means a little quicker wear but not bad,great in the snow and off road but the side wall could look a little more agressive,great price and a 40k warranty)

Perelli Scorpion ATs (not even in the class of the others)

Michelin A/Ts (they call that an A/T? Very mild tread patterns)

Goodyear MTRs (awesome tire but IMO a little much for a daily driver that's seeing over 90% pavement,it's the tire I would have if I could be unrealistic and throw a little more cash around)

Other GY ATs (just put an A in between GY )

I finally settled on the Terra Grapplers since Andy (Bamachem) recommended them for what I was realistically going to see off road which is mild to moderate trails. Their wear rating is 500,nice sidewalls and a nice tread pattern that doesn't get too noisy on the highway and are as smooth as my set of Maxxis Bravo HTs I just ditched.

This tire is starting to go up in price the more popular it gets since Andy paid under $550 just over a year ago for his set.
I got mine for just under $700 with everything included at Discount and so far these tires are nice;just had them doing a little 15 foot hill climbs this morning with my friend in his '01 Tacoma but the real test is how they handle the wet,snowy,icy stuff on the roads.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/fin...on&rd=16&ar=75
Old 11-09-2005, 04:53 AM

Hey all,

Well I finally decided on the Yokohama Geolandars A/T+II's. Got them at discounttire.com for 105 each with the free shipping...plus they had a $50 rebate when you buy 4 so that sealed the deal for me.

Just had them installed over the weekend and I do agree that I do wish they looked more aggressive (the RWL arent as large or prominent as I had hoped) but they still look aggressive enough I guess. Compared to the baloney skins I was running with before with blackwalls it makes the truck look so much better.

I do a lot of highway miles and the tires have been very quiet so far...still waiting for some significant precipitation to fall before I can give a full review...I'll keep you all posted.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:36 AM

I'm very interested now in the REVOs and that I have more conclusive results on the Geolanders. (price diff?) Looks for a tire is nice to have but it's way down on the priority list. I'm leaning to go out to get these Geos since you mentioned hiway sound seems quiet. That seems to be a constant report with these tires and that's a concern for my hiway use. I'm also not so much concernd with longevity as the best tires for performance will not last. As long as a tire wears evenly, you can get more out of it. And that has a lot to do with your car's suspension and tire mainanance.
What was your ovarall total Fishooked?
I was quoted a lil high for a set of Pathfinder sport suv owl, I think. And I'm not that interested in somehing I can't read much about, first hand. The Pathfinders would be a total of 487.00 with 60k warr. and valves, rotations and liftime repairs included. Although I'm not sure if you guys see this as a standard service when purchasing new tires?

...Or the REVOs still but I'm not sure where to get the best quote for them and the difference that I'll pay for them. Plus the tread design has me question if TireRack's rating of being the #1 on the list for Off Road/ All-Terrain tires over the Geolanders at #7 is THAT much of a difference in traction and road noise?
Anyone tried comparing both on thier cars?
ew
Old 11-11-2005, 10:10 AM

Yokohama Geolandars A/T+II's
good choice and they are very good in the rain and snow.
Old 11-11-2005, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by erik
I'm very interested now in the REVOs and that I have more conclusive results on the Geolanders. (price diff?) Looks for a tire is nice to have but it's way down on the priority list. I'm leaning to go out to get these Geos since you mentioned hiway sound seems quiet. That seems to be a constant report with these tires and that's a concern for my hiway use. I'm also not so much concernd with longevity as the best tires for performance will not last. As long as a tire wears evenly, you can get more out of it. And that has a lot to do with your car's suspension and tire mainanance.
What was your ovarall total Fishooked?
I was quoted a lil high for a set of Pathfinder sport suv owl, I think. And I'm not that interested in somehing I can't read much about, first hand. The Pathfinders would be a total of 487.00 with 60k warr. and valves, rotations and liftime repairs included. Although I'm not sure if you guys see this as a standard service when purchasing new tires?

...Or the REVOs still but I'm not sure where to get the best quote for them and the difference that I'll pay for them. Plus the tread design has me question if TireRack's rating of being the #1 on the list for Off Road/ All-Terrain tires over the Geolanders at #7 is THAT much of a difference in traction and road noise?
Anyone tried comparing both on thier cars?
ew
ew,

I replied to your pm, but I'd have to say for the tires & mounting/balancing it came out to around 600.00. Local tires places quoted me 116 & up for the Yoko Geos, so I def got a better deal online. The Bridgestone/Firestone place quoted me 168 for the Revos which I just cant afford right now. I'll have to post pics of my '01 Runner with the Yokos on...
Old 11-11-2005, 02:46 PM

I had the yoko's on my 2nd gen 4Runner and loved them alot for the price. Never had a problem in the Northeast NJ snow storm last year.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:59 PM
Contributing Member

I currently have Revo's and they are excellant tires, have not tried them in snow, but i have heard great things about them. You can hear a little hum from them, nothing bad though, I actually like the sound, hahaha. Anyways, I really think you should invest in a good set of tires, like other people have said, thats the only thing touching the road, why would you skimp on them?
Old 11-12-2005, 06:26 AM
Contributing Member

The Yoks can be had locally in the Denver area for just a tad over $600 and if you add their road hazard warranty and taxes they'll still be under $700.
I really liked them year round on my '97 but I wanted to try something new and the Nittos look just a tad more agressive for the same price but the yoks do have a mileage warranty.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:13 AM

Geolander ht/s g051

You guys are talking mostly about the Geolander At+ II, right? Well, I've read Tire Rack and the rating for snow and quiet hiway is very high on the HT/S G051 tires.http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...y.jsp?type=HAS
Since the truck is less likely to see anything else anyway.
So does anyone have these tires on their truck?
I'm gonin to call Discount Tire to see about their best deal. They also have that Thankgiving Sale for a 50$ rebate available till the 26th for them as well.
Old 11-14-2005, 08:29 AM

...just might get the Geo HT/S G051 Lakewood Disc tire will install for 448.oo all inclucive. I didn't ask about the A/Ts though since I wasn't interested. If this is an actual, out the door price and then that 50$ rebate, I'll be in 7th heaven. I'll let you guys know.
ew

Quick Reply: Quiet, smooth riding tire for all weather conditions - Bridgestone Revos overkill?