The Off-Road Gourmet Food, what to cook, how to cook, share your trail side meals with us

What're your favorite outdoor cooking devices?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 04:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What're your favorite outdoor cooking devices?

The title says it all, what's something you own that is essential to your outdoor cooking experience, from the back yard to the great outdoors, name one or a couple devices that you would have trouble living without.

For me, number one is my pet Weber One-Touch Gold.
This is my second one, my first I bought from a garage sale, some poor couple got duped into "upgrading" to gas, and I worked the legs off it. Literally.
The one I have now, I bought from Silverado Ace in Calistoga, it was my first bought-new grill, and it came in green, my favorite colour.

Number two is my Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker.
I've got some details on it in my intro page, I've done a few mods, the best of which was fitting on a Barbecue Guru NanoQ controller (what can I say, I'm lazy). This thing cranks out a mean... anything.

If anyone's wondering, I am a card-carrying charcoal snob, but it's my own decision; I don't proselytize, and I'd oblige any gas-burner to do the same. What lights your fire is just that, and I can respect your choice.
Old 09-24-2012, 09:03 AM

Camping - My cast iron pan set for over the fire cooking.

Backyard - Old school ceramic kamodo with some natural lump to smoke or grill
Old 09-24-2012, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Cmayer
Camping - My cast iron pan set for over the fire cooking.

Backyard - Old school ceramic kamodo with some natural lump to smoke or grill
I love some good cast iron. I'm nuts about Dutch Ovens, growing up in the Scouts, DO cooking was a staple. When I'm camping with friends, they think I'm some kind of wizard when I bake a cake in the middle of nowhere.

I'm gonna hide my jealousy of the fact that you have a kamado...
Any favorite charcoal? I like oak lump the best, it has that "I'm cooking with real fire" taste and smell that I love so much.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got a Coleman propane stove and Coleman road trip grill.

Between the two I can do just about anything but bake.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by RobotMoose
I love some good cast iron. I'm nuts about Dutch Ovens, growing up in the Scouts, DO cooking was a staple. When I'm camping with friends, they think I'm some kind of wizard when I bake a cake in the middle of nowhere.

I'm gonna hide my jealousy of the fact that you have a kamado...
Any favorite charcoal? I like oak lump the best, it has that "I'm cooking with real fire" taste and smell that I love so much.
I found that Lodge makes a perfect two pan set for my camping gear. One fryer, one skillet with a bottom that works as a griddle, and the skillet can be a lid to the fryer making a pseudo dutch oven.

In a pinch I use cowboy lump and smoke with apple wood for ham, and either oak or mesquite for beef. Our whole foods store has some off brand oak lump that burns forever with very little ash, so I buy that when I can.

Originally Posted by bob200587
I've got a Coleman propane stove and Coleman road trip grill.

Between the two I can do just about anything but bake.
I inherited my parents Coleman propane stove and that thing is a champ. Old, green, and greasy, but it comes with me on every camping trip too.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:50 PM

Coleman stove here too. You can't go wrong with one of those. I think my dad has had his for like 20-30 years and is still works perfect. Mine comes with me every camping trip. I also recently got a little Weber, 12" or so diameter, for when I'm going to be out wheeling all day and I love it.
Old 09-25-2012, 05:57 AM

Coleman stoves are fantastic. They may not generate the most BTUs or be the flashiest things around but they have the longevity of most Yotas.
My folks are approaching 30 years together and have had theirs since their honeymoon.
Old 11-21-2012, 03:57 PM

No doubt that the Weber is King in my book. I have a 22.5 in the back yard and a Smokey Joe for the rig.

Just before Sandy washed through the East, I went to Ace Hardware, home of all things Weber, to get a new cover for my 22.5. Guess what they now have?: Back by popular demand is the Weber Gold in 26"! And while they didn't have one, they can order the all-awesome, never seen in Fairfax County 42 inch diameter Weber charcoal grill. Think about that: A grill as big around as your round patio table.

At a cool Grand, I'm holding out for now, since that's what I need for my OME suspension packages. Priorities, you know?
Old 11-21-2012, 05:24 PM

at home week days a nice big stainless propane job from canada plumbed to the house (no fillin bottles) next to that for the weekends is the weber , charcoal fired! campin is a mix of coleman stoves and cast iron charcoal stoves along with the open fire. offraod trips its just the cast iron grill with carcoal.you gotta blend the convience of gas with the taste of an open fire as time allows.no time after work ill fire the gas, nothing to do on the weekend ill cook on oak n charcoal. 10 miles from nowhere on the trail, etc.and you be lovin me when i break out the old cast iron grill, steaks, buorbon and mollasses. ya put that on your venison! stab it with your tire iron cuz i didnt bring no forks son!

Last edited by lobukbuild; 11-21-2012 at 05:26 PM.