Domestic Swaps Chevrolet, Ford, ect

Cramming a 3/4 ton Suburban into a 1980 Toyota

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cramming a 3/4 ton Suburban into a 1980 Toyota

So I've had my pickup for about 10 years, and have been considering an engine swap just about since I got it. Just this last week, my cousin gave me a nicely running ~85 3/4 ton Suburban, and I'm now planning a full swap, with engine, trans, transfer case and axles. I've got the axles figured out, figured I'm going to be making a crossmember to mount the transfer case, but I still have a couple of questions:

Since I'm going as far as I already am, I should probably just go with crossover steering, right? I'm looking at about 5" of suspension lift, so it seems logical. So for that I'd need a Saginaw steering box and then a crossover kit for a fullsize Chevy, right?

For the engine mounts, I've been looking at Northwest Offroad's setup. Seein's how a lot of y'all are from western Washington, but I've seen few references to that shop, it makes me wonder if their mounts are any good. (I also realize that a lot of y'all are also real not bad fabricators, too) Also along those lines, I see they sell a bigger radiator that bolts in nice and clean but has higher capacity for a V6/V8, and wondering if anybody has used/seen one of those and what your thoughts are. Same question on their headers.

Most of the full build-ups I could find full stories for were a little different in one way or another, but I tried to glean as much information from them as I could. Thanks!
Old 10-20-2009, 08:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Um, since it's going to come anyways, I might as well be first...

Why bother?

Not trying to be a jerk, but really...why not just stick with the 'Burban? I don't see an upside to the amount of work you're planning, nor the expense.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by RobD

Why bother?

Not trying to be a jerk, but really...why not just stick with the 'Burban? I don't see an upside to the amount of work you're planning, nor the expense.
The toyota with the V8 and full width axles will be a lot better off road compared to the to wide, to long, to heavy Suburban.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:51 PM

tek9tim
I would run hy-steer on the front axle and a Saginaw steering box is a good choice they have more power than the toyota box.
If it is a Dana 44 on the front of the Suburban you may want to upgrade to a Dana 60.
For the rear I would look into a 14bolt or if you have money a Chevy AAM 10.5 .
These will hold up well to the V8

....................and welcome to yotatech
Old 10-21-2009, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by RobD

Why bother?

Hmm... Completely stock 6500 lb Suburban or a flexy lifted 4000 lb Toyota with a heck of a lot of off road capability...

I'd have to put a lot of money into the Suburban to make it anywhere near as capable as my yota is now, and in the end it would be huge, I'd have another rig around to do upkeep and pay insurance on (not to mention clutter my driveway) and it would serve little purpose to me other than driving offroad. I'd just have one more rig I wouldn't want to drive long distances. Plus, I'd still have my Toyota that needs work on the engine, drivelines, and front axle. And no, I wouldn't get rid of the Toyota since I can get 3/4 of a cord of wood on it, and I already have a flatbed and a winch on it.

As to putting the 1-ton axles in, I'm not planning on flogging this thing too hard. And I'll probably just run 35s. And at least the Suburban has the 8 lug axles, so I'm a little ahead even though the rear is only a semi-floater. Hell, if I break stuff I'll look at the 60 & 14 bolt full floater.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:04 AM

I don't have any advice for you. However, I think this sounds like a fun project. Be sure to post lots of pics of your progress. And I 2nd the welcome to Yotatech.
Old 10-21-2009, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by tek9tim
I'm not planning on flogging this thing too hard.
With a V8 yota how can you resist the temptation
Old 10-22-2009, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by whokrz
With a V8 yota how can you resist the temptation
Haha... Guess you've got a good point there.