All Other Toyota Swaps I4, I6, Lexus V8

Engine swap or Long travel Suspension, What first?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine swap or Long travel Suspension, What first?

ok so i have decided that i want to do both long travel and an engine swap on my 86 toyota 4runner. The only problem is that i am in college and am low on money, so i was wondering what would be the best move. do the engine swap and get more power or work on making it a dezert truck. And what engine would you suggest for this truck considering it would be more of a pre-runner application over a trail truck. Any help would be very much appreciated.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:12 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is the truck still driveable? Or does it need an engine? I'm swapping in 3.4 into my 4runner from what I have heard the power is great. I will let you know when I'm done mine to tell you for sure. What I would do, if you can still drive it, then save money, lots of it cause mods are NOT cheap. If it runs I wouls save for suspension. If not engine. Though ideally I would say engine is a great place to start. My opinion. But thats just answering your wuestion without any back ground info or knowing the 4Runners purpose. By the way welcome to Yotatech.
Old 06-01-2009, 01:01 PM

Thanks.
the truck runs great i just feel like the 22re doesn't put out enough power. But great point. Suspension it is!
Old 06-01-2009, 01:06 PM

Do what ever you feel is what you would "need" first.

If the motor is in good shape you could do the suspension, and regear. Are you running stock tire size?
Old 06-01-2009, 01:09 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Im going to loosely quote one of our moderators who is a fabricator and has seen it all..

Originally Posted by WaskillyWabbit AKA the Wab
I've seen to many trucks sased with huge ass tires that dont move for years because the owner spends all their money on the suspension and then the motor takes a dump..
Also, Your in california, An engine swap first of all isnt cheap, Second of all isnt cheap to get smog legal..

The LT suspension isnt going to be cheap either..

my advice though, Do a good through tuneup of the engine make sure its in healthy working order.
On these small underpowered jap trucks gears gears gears are your best friend.
Then do the LT.

Good Luck.

Old 06-01-2009, 01:20 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Motor then suspension to go with the new power. that way when you put in the motor you can then build your suspension capable of handiling what you may be thinkin of thowing in it. Just My $.02 when the desicion is really more what you want most and knowone can tell you that... unless your one to go jumpi off the cliffs when everyone is doin it. can have both but your gonna have to work for it!

Motors maybe to think about
Supra I6
3.4L taco motor
4.3 GM
5.7 GM
4.0L V8 lexus
Just a few common ones
Old 08-11-2009, 02:26 PM

thanks fillsrunner4. that makes a lot of sense. do you know if the supra motor just bolts right up or do i have to do a body lift, move the tranny back and all that stuff?
Old 08-11-2009, 02:32 PM

Like what scuba quoted.

I did my suspension first, sas'd it.. What do you know, not even 3 months after sas'ing mine my 3.0 took a dump on me. Fortunately i was able to afford my 3.4L swap when i did since this is my DD.

But isn't that just the way luck goes? Do the motor then the suspension will take a dump, do the suspension and the motor will take a dump.

My dad told me. "make sure you have everything in working order before you go worrying about changing something that doesn't need to be changed" or something a long the lines of that quote. I say its good advice.

The only motor to my knowledge that will bolt up is a 3.0-3.4L swap, but im not familiar with the 4cyl swaps.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the supra motor will bolt up directly to a 22r/22re, but not a 3.0. (to my understanding, correct me if im wrong)