3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Running Sluggish after engine swap: Connection right?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2010, 12:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks ukrunner for the interest. I am don't know what i am going to do. I am having a hard time convincing myself that the motor needs a rebuild.

It runs so good sometimes and others not, would that still be rings? I mean who knows if i did the compression test right? I have never done one. Also if there rings were bad why would i keep getting the same misfire every time. I get 6 then after a while 3 and 5 come believe. If the rings were shot wouldn't all of them start to misfire, I don't know that is why i ask.

Today i ran some lucus through a vaccum line and it smokes like a beeotch..I noticed that the motor was smoking from the back. I take a look under and my exhaust has black seems to be oil all over it running down the pipe and tranny. I check my oil and it is still very clean not black at all.. Anyone have an idea what is going on there?

When it surges i hear a loud ticking sound, like ehusast leak or something. Idle drops and it shakes. Then it will go back up and sound so good. So intermediate.

Sorry everyone maybe i just need to accept it and start yanking the motor out. It is just so had to accept.
Old 06-18-2010, 11:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how the hell do i make my own post?
Old 06-19-2010, 12:04 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
really sorry to hear this sam. that sucks ass.

sh8r: on the main page, on left, "start new thread"
Old 06-19-2010, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by sam4runner
Thanks ukrunner for the interest. I am don't know what i am going to do. I am having a hard time convincing myself that the motor needs a rebuild.

It runs so good sometimes and others not, would that still be rings? I mean who knows if i did the compression test right? I have never done one. Also if there rings were bad why would i keep getting the same misfire every time. I get 6 then after a while 3 and 5 come believe. If the rings were shot wouldn't all of them start to misfire, I don't know that is why i ask.

Today i ran some lucus through a vaccum line and it smokes like a beeotch..I noticed that the motor was smoking from the back. I take a look under and my exhaust has black seems to be oil all over it running down the pipe and tranny. I check my oil and it is still very clean not black at all.. Anyone have an idea what is going on there?

When it surges i hear a loud ticking sound, like ehusast leak or something. Idle drops and it shakes. Then it will go back up and sound so good. So intermediate.

Sorry everyone maybe i just need to accept it and start yanking the motor out. It is just so had to accept.

Where EXACTLY is the oil/smoke coming from?

Ok here is what I would do. You will have to tear into it a bit but nothing to bad.

First I'd pull all the spark plugs and take a look at their condition. Post close up pics of each one if you can, with the cylinder number they came from. Replace plugs with new. Perform another leak down test, post results. (remember, it needs to have run for 10 minutes prior to warm up nicely.)

Second. Pull timing cover and make sure all the dots line up.

Third, remove upper and intermediate intake manifold, then valve covers. Pull connector from ignition control on fender so it will not start. Get someone to crank it and see if all the rockers and valve stems move up and down. This will let you know if there is a broken spring, stuck valve or any blow back around the valve stem seal.

Now, if the oil and smoke is coming out of the exhaust, that is definitely a valve or timing issue. If its coming out of the side of the engine, I'd say you have a head gasket issue at best, or a warped head/block, or possibly even a crack somewhere.

Can you rent a borescope and remove plugs and take a look inside the chambers?

Just reread your post again. Heres a thought, and maybe someone else can think about this too. What about low oil pressure top end of the engine? Are the tappets hydraulic? If there is a good oil leak perhaps the tappets are not adjusting correctly causing a lift and sag issue thus a misfire.

Pour another quart of oil in and see if this makes a difference. Dont worry, you will not hurt anything with an extra quart.

Last edited by UKrunner; 06-19-2010 at 07:19 AM.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:03 PM

Okay so i take the dumb a$$ award of the year for sure. So here is the new update.

When this first started happening i thought of the obvious, coil packs, injectors plugs and wires. So new plugs new wires. I checked all the coil packs and the injectors that i could get to (the ones on the passenger side). All tested good.

Then i did the compression test which i have never done. I did it right except for one major thing. I did not do it at running temp, hence why they read low.

Every time i check the codes after i clear them it always starts out with cylinder 6. So i figured today i would finally remove the intake so i could get to the other side to test the injectors, mainly number 6 and long be hold the problem.

Cylinder 6 injector was UNPLUGGED. I have no idea how that happened. Maybe from the previous owner who the hell knows. So i plug it in and sure enough everything is fixed. No more surging no more hesitation, No more check engine light.

I am honestly still in shock. Talk about multiple screw ups by me. But oh well i don't care it is finally fixed. I am a bit embarrassed of my stupidity but it happens. Thanks to everyone who helped. Dntsdad and UKrunner especially. This is such a good feeling that it is done. Some thing so simple causing me all the . I should have manned up from the beginning and took the intake off and test that side but it looked like a beetoch, but was not bad at all.

Now i can concentrate on other things, like getting A/c working and new exhaust. Thanks again everyone.