3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

daily driver 3.4 swap new to the EFI swap world.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
okay im not sure whats going on... what wiring harness are yall talking about? im not sure that i asked about the routing of wires
Old 01-03-2011, 02:28 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Sorry I highjacked your thread momentarily.

I am talking about the wire loom from the ECM for the 02 sensors etc. Looking at how other routed in into the tranny area safely. I have a few ideas now but always looking for better ideas.

Jason
Old 01-04-2011, 09:02 AM

I don't have a pic, but I could get one tonight after work.. basically I rant it down next to the brakeline on the driver side, then on the outside of the torsion bar, as to keep it as far away from the exhaust as possible. Then I have my little o2 simulator box, and from there it goes up and over to the tranny plugs.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:40 AM

Ya I wouldnt mind seeing a picture. If you can though, please post it in my thread so I dont hijack this one anymore.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:35 PM

okay okay so i know no one answered my other questions cause i shoulda searched it. im still kinda unclear on the electrical stuff.. but the fog is kinda clearing up....

this EVAP stuff... i dont really want to run any of it if i dont have to. im gonna run it though if i gotta.. but i dont want to run it... is there anyone that isnt running this stuff succesfully? i dont gotta pass emmisions... thanks
Old 01-04-2011, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by sheepdawg58
aight so i went back reading through a couple great threads. elvotas thread has been alot of help for me and reading his thread over again answered my question about the 2nd O2 sensor, so im gonna do that trick when the time comes.

i went back to the dash of the 4runner and tore it out of there and got the OBD2 plug out of there. and looked for the AC amp but didnt really see it in there. ill go back and try to find it sometime this week.... been tryin to tie in the wiring harness together right now.
Second post down. I asked the same question on the previous page.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160...23/index2.html
got 2 questions about it right now that i can think of... well maybe 3.

1) im not really understanding the neutral saftey switch and how to make it read N so i can crank the truck. can anyone help me on that?
Should be able to jump the input wire to the wire that send signal to the ECM that its in the N. Check the EWD for wire colors
2) ive seen some stuff about the open circut relay but aint seing it on my stuff. is that something extra i gotta run?
I am not sure what this is either. Do you mean COR (circuit opening relay). If so I posted some links to TRY to help this dude out here.

thats about all i got goin on in my brain for right now with what im trying to look at.
Old 01-05-2011, 08:50 AM

thanks dntsdad... i had actually found that thread right after i asked that question... so far all of that is making sense to me. im hoping that i can get the wiring harness put together this weekend and get this truck running.. thats the only thing i have left to do
Old 01-08-2011, 03:07 PM

aight so im still fooling with this wiring harness... still having trouble with it. im trying to splice the wires from the old harness to the new harness plugs so it will be a plug and play affair.

this helps out a ton lol

only thing im confused on really is it seems like a few wires that a couple wires from the new harness seem to match to 1 wire on the old body harness plugs. i hope i got this thing figured out now. gonna plug it all up and see whats up.

is that common for some wires to tie in the harness like that?
Old 01-09-2011, 06:14 PM

okay so ive been studying on here again and trying to figure out more about this truck. this evap is still kinda in the dark on me. i was just reading DNTSDADs thread and when i got to the page of his evap box the pictures started blanking out on me... (stupid internet). i must have misplaced the evap box for my 89 truck or something. i still have the evap box for my 96 4runner though and am gonna use it i guess. gonna continue to try to see more examples of what i gotta do on this thing.

this is prolly pretty stupid but what is this canister thing?

thanks for any help on this. i hope i can get this figured out soon and get this thing running
Old 01-09-2011, 06:35 PM

take a look here. You can do this but not if you have to emission test, at least not here in California but you really cannot do ANYTHING here is California

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160...85/index4.html
Old 01-09-2011, 06:37 PM

lol yeah DNTSDAD... i live in mississippi.. no emmisions here whatsoever thanks for helping me out some man... i keep going back to your thread to figure out stuff...
Old 01-10-2011, 09:54 AM

oh and by the way that charcoal canister is your evap box. the cylinder. Thats what you use instead of the 3.4 one
Old 01-10-2011, 03:18 PM

thanks hamish for the help... im going to figure this thing out soon enough....

just a short update.. i got a few more parts to get this thing finished... just wanted to show them off....

WRF battery holder. i think it looks pretty cool...

i got some pipe for the exhaust to weld on and gonna try to get everything ready. i hope to get alot done this weekend on the truck
Old 01-11-2011, 11:36 AM

i just got back in from the shop working on this truck trying to button up loose ends and get this truck ready to try to crank. i got a few parts of the harness that im not sure what to do with, and some vac hoses and stuff that i donno about yet. hoping to get some help from yall on here.

im not sure about these wires or what exactly to do with them since i dont wanna run the EVAP box or any of that stuff. any suggestions?

since im using the 3.4 altenator i have no use for this 3.0 altenator harness. but im not sure what to do with it... i saw one person say something about it but i forgot who it was.

i hooked my charcol cannister hose up to the lil vac line on the throttle body. but that big vac line right there i donno what to do with it. i dont remember what it did.

im getting things accomplished on this truck finally but still have a few questions as i go along. thanks for any help in advance.

Last edited by sheepdawg58; 01-11-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:44 AM
totally a bro
Staff

Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
you need to use the 3.0 alt harness. the 3.4 does not tie into your body harness and will be useless
Old 01-11-2011, 12:07 PM

aight thanks vital. ill swap that out. any suggestions on the other parts?
Old 01-11-2011, 02:34 PM

heh... that pic 3 of the vac line.. i figured it out... wow what a brainfart. okay so i snatched the starter/altenator harness out and took it all apart to figure out what all it does. gonna solder on the plug from the 3.4 altenator onto the 3.0 alt harness and getting that part figured out. this wiring harness stuff is starting to click in my brain now, which is a good thing. im still kinda concerned about the EVAP box wiring and all that stuff. im gonna just wing it for now and keep on reading what other guys are doing.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:45 PM

What?
Old 01-11-2011, 07:46 PM

Also that big vacuum hose is for the block breather tube. It goes to the intake. And I don't think that little vacuum line you are pointing at goes to the charcoal canister? but I guess it doesn't matter where you get the vacuum from right?
Old 01-18-2011, 05:34 PM

aight so i finally said screw the wiring for right now and get done with the mechanical stuff. and finally got that finished tonight. exhaust welded up and everything. now i can refocus on the wiring part of the swap.

engine bay shots. its almost finished...

the lower radiator hose i used. eh it fits and i didnt have to cut it.

holy cow this engine sits high... i dont want to run a BL but i may have to.. thats one big hole to cut

i hope i can get the wiring figured out this week and get this thing runnin... that engine sittin up so high scares me though... i may get a body lift... just gotta think on it.... i am doin a SAS soon to this truck and dont want it sittin up high.

Quick Reply: daily driver 3.4 swap new to the EFI swap world.