3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2009, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cruise Control

Mkay... my cruise doesnt work on my 92 4runner 3.4/a340f/dual t-cases. ORS harness, 3.0 cruise control module. It hasnt worked since the swap. I extended the wires (8 wires/ 3 connectors 3/3/2), moved the module to the other side, hooked the vacuum line to the intake, and modified the cable to work with the 3.4 throttle body. Every thing seems to be hooked up correctly (or atleast the way it was). I tried 2 3.0 cruise modules I had laying around.

Is There something simple im missing. I searched and it seems to be something that needs extra attention so I know there must be something I havent done yet. I didnt find any thing in searching, unless it burried deep in a 10 page thread....and if thats the case we need a seperate thread for it anyway .

Module

vacuum line to the intake

Last edited by 4rnr; 01-08-2009 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:37 AM
Contributing Member

I'm curious to learn more about this also. I know there's a separate computer that runs the cruise. Is everything turning on but there's just a lack of vacuum to move the throttle cable?
Old 01-09-2009, 10:04 AM

The cruise comes on (the light does not flash) when I press set and let off the gas it just slows down. I dont know about the vacuum. It worked fine on the old 3.0. I thought about putting the truck on blocks and running it up to speed...actually I guess I could just put one of my t-cases in neutral...well maybe not I think the Cruise needs a speedo signal. Maybe Ill just drop the rear drive shaft.... and try to engage the cruise and see what happens. Im guessing the cruise cable is slack until it is "set". But im not sure, im usually busy driving down the highway when the cruise is on and am reluctant to get out of the vehicle.

I cant think of what is missing unless there is something I ont know about like a resistor needs to be soldered somewhere ect.....
Old 01-09-2009, 10:21 AM
Contributing Member

Not sure if there's a separate speed sensor but that may be it. Do you have an FSM for your '92? I think that someone posted a link to one before but I'm not sure if it's still active.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by jskijoe
Not sure if there's a separate speed sensor but that may be it. Do you have an FSM for your '92? I think that someone posted a link to one before but I'm not sure if it's still active.
I have a FSM.

I beleive there is a second speed sensor in the transmission. But i dont think it has anything to do with this.

I spent the last couple hours searching on Pirate and did find some people who used this electronic cruise (like mine) some switched to the older vacuum style. Many people kept the module in the stock location and extended the cable using the 22re cable to reach around the motor. I moved my module to the other side of the bay and extended the wire.

One person did mention an issue with the cluster that may have been causing problems. He identified the problem when he noticed the oil pressure guage not working. Mine did not work when I had the 3.0 and I have yet to put a 3.0 sender in the 3.4 to determine if the sender was bad or something in the cluster is bad (not likely, I used the donor trucks cluster (another 1992 4runner)). I plan to pick up a sender this afternoon, and see what happens. But i expect the guage to work and further indicate that the cluster is ok. Apparently the cruise gets the speed info from the VSS on the back of the cluster in the cable operated speedo's. My speedo is electric so I bet im chasing my tail here.

But I would still like to know if I have done everything correctly from someone who has done this succesfully. Unfortunatly ORS is no more and I cant call them. Thier web site says nothing about the cruise control.
Old 01-09-2009, 02:13 PM
Contributing Member

I see that you have an auto, I think I remember mt_goat having cruise control in his swap with an auto. I'm sure he'll chime in at some point, he's great about sharing what he's learned from his swap. I look forward to hearing the solution. Best of luck.
Old 03-15-2013, 08:49 AM

Digging this thread back up...

Driving to BH's last year with no Cruise sucked, and this year we are doing Moab. I would really like CC.

I have done very little since I started this thread. I have an EE friend who has also done a 3.4 swap and he believes my problem is in the OD circuit. We printed out the schematics and he identified the 1 or 2 wires that should be connected. But once I get under my dash I have trouble locating these wires in real life. We will be looking into this in the next few weeks.

I did some searching and did not find much new info on this topic, have I missed something important? My harness is an early ORS harness ('03 or '04).
Old 03-15-2013, 04:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
FWIW, I still haven't hooked up my cruise control box yet although I fully expect it to work when I do. I'll report later when/if that happens. HOWEVER.... to my point: I just installed an aftermarket cruise control by Rostra into my zero option 99 Corolla and it couldn't be easier. It's all electrical. All you have to do it hook it to the throttle body or the gas pedal itself, give it some power, and tie it into the tach and VSS wire at the ECU. 3 hours top to install and works beautifully. It was a bit over $200 with the switch and control box both shipped from Amazon.