3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

84 PU 5vz swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
84 PU 5vz swap

Hi guys, here to get help and show progress on my engine swap. Here's the truck when I got it:

and now after a mild lift, aussies f/r, 5.29s, tires, and a "little" body work

(full build: http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=889916)

This truck isn't getting any lighter so I'd like more power, thought about a 3rz at first but read great things about the 3.4. Found a local deal, not exactly what I wanted but was close and hopefully with this forum's help i'll be able to make work.

2002 Tacoma Prerunner a/t

I helped a friend do a 3.4 swap into his truck of the same year. He was able to buy a kit from a dismantler that came with every little part he needed. I'm not quite as fortunate and will most likely have to piece this together myself.
On his we shot for 96-98 parts and would like to do the same here. We're in CA so this will have to pass the ref. This '02 block looks identical to his except for the exhaust manifolds and crossover, and the AC compressor appears to be a different. Am I wrong?

With that in mind I started to put together a list that hopefully I can get some input on from you guys that have done this.

All within 96-98 tacoma or 4runner:
*m/t 4x4 ECM
*m/t 4x4 harness (engine and cab)
*fuel tank & sender for 3.4
*air box
*evap. canister and all other emissions related items

Basically the only good parts i think i have are the block, cluster and column unless there is a way to strip and modify the a/t 2wd harness to plug into a m/t 4x4 ECU. I'm willing to do the work if it's possible and preferably documented somewhere. I sent an e-mail to toyotaonlyswaps to see if they could help source some of this smaller stuff for the engine bay.

I'm probably forgetting a lot of things so let me know what you think and i'll keep reading around to see what i can find. Thanks
Old 04-29-2012, 11:20 AM

After reading through these:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160...inouts-215718/
and
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f160...-101-a-239002/

re-wiring the plugs from my a/t harness to a m/t ECU is possible, would it be something that the smog ref. would fail me for? That is to say if he notices or looks that close
Old 04-29-2012, 02:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
All the ref will care about is the ECM. Whatever the ECM shows is what the year of the motor is. He has no way of knowing the exact year of the motor and it doesnt matter. Its all about the OBD2 system and if that is 97 lets say, thats the standard that you have to hit for smog. This is true in Fresno. Other ref's seem to have different rules sometimes so I would go ask.

Is that Throttle by wire? If you swap to a 97ish ECM, might want to change that.

He will not even know that you repinned the harness. Just hide, or disassemble, all the auto plugs that will be left over that reach the tranny.

You might want to listed all the part numbers on your sensors and I can compare to mine (1997 Runner ECM) and see if they are same. The maf will probably have to be changed I think.

You wont need that cluster or the column unless you are doing that for cosmetic reasons.

84 pickup.....so no FI and therefore no electric, high pressure pump. Yes, you will have to modify that.

Buy "new" ECM. Repin your harness. Need the stock air box for smog. All the EVAP stuff.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by dntsdad
All the ref will care about is the ECM. Whatever the ECM shows is what the year of the motor is. He has no way of knowing the exact year of the motor and it doesnt matter. Its all about the OBD2 system and if that is 97 lets say, thats the standard that you have to hit for smog. This is true in Fresno. Other ref's seem to have different rules sometimes so I would go ask.

Is that Throttle by wire? If you swap to a 97ish ECM, might want to change that.

He will not even know that you repinned the harness. Just hide, or disassemble, all the auto plugs that will be left over that reach the tranny.

You might want to listed all the part numbers on your sensors and I can compare to mine (1997 Runner ECM) and see if they are same. The maf will probably have to be changed I think.

You wont need that cluster or the column unless you are doing that for cosmetic reasons.

84 pickup.....so no FI and therefore no electric, high pressure pump. Yes, you will have to modify that.

Buy "new" ECM. Repin your harness. Need the stock air box for smog. All the EVAP stuff.
That's kind of what I was thinking, when we took my friends to the Bakersfield ref it was all off ECU so i'll just eliminate all a/t plugs and wires I can.

I don't believe it's throttle by wire, it did come with the cruise control unit though. I can get better pictures of the MAF

I have downloaded a few FSM's for the 3.4 motors of a few generations. As far as the cluster and column, it will save me a lot more wire modifications, we rewired my friends 84 combination plugs on his column to match up to the 3.4 harness, not worth it in my opinion if you can get a column and make it more plug and play. The dash is being rebuilt custom regardless so no point in keeping the 84 stuff.

I will get plug identification off my 02 harness for comparison. Thank you for the help.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks like a great project. I was lucky to find low miles 96T100 motor auto. I repin it to go with a manual ECU.
I got the K&N air filter kit ( with CARB sticker) so I can pass smog since the 95 Main fuse box is in the way of the air box. My truck is at the muffler shop now. With this T100 motor, I only need one cat. I think the 4runner engines need to have two cat. Not sure about the Tacoma.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by anthony1
Looks like a great project. I was lucky to find low miles 96T100 motor auto. I repin it to go with a manual ECU.
I got the K&N air filter kit ( with CARB sticker) so I can pass smog since the 95 Main fuse box is in the way of the air box. My truck is at the muffler shop now. With this T100 motor, I only need one cat. I think the 4runner engines need to have two cat. Not sure about the Tacoma.
The 3.4 swap I worked on we ran a 98 4runner ECU and it was single cat, no EGR. That's why i'm trying to find the same on this one
Old 04-30-2012, 09:25 PM

So here are the numbers I have so far from the engine harness:

11178 Air Fuel Ratio Sensor
11784 Park/Neutral Position SW
11143 Vehicle Speed Sensor/Vapor Pressure Sensor
11156 Vehicle Speed Sensor (Electronically Controlled Transmission)
10919 Electronically Controlled Transmission Solenoid

10947 Camshaft Position Sensor
11363 Oil Pressure SW

11162 License Plate Light
11156 O/D Solenoid

10947 Camshaft Position Sensor
11271 A/C Magnetic Clutch
11428 Power Steering Oil Pressure SW

11145 Idle Air Control Valve
11246 Ignition Coil
11261 Throttle Position Sensor

11653 Igniter
11317 Mass Air Flow Meter

ECM Plugs at the end:

11476 Engine Control Module
11421 Engine Control Module
Old 05-01-2012, 08:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yep your motor 02 is drive by wire! Ive been waiting to say that to somebody since someone told me it could not be done when i started my swap... lets put it this way there's one more wire you have to run 15 amp fused power to. It's called etcs...
Old 05-01-2012, 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by spinyard
yep your motor 02 is drive by wire! Ive been waiting to say that to somebody since someone told me it could not be done when i started my swap... lets put it this way there's one more wire you have to run 15 amp fused power to. It's called etcs...
So you've done what i'll have to do? any more details on this? do you have a build thread? Thanks for any help