3.4 Swaps The 3.4 V6 Toyota engine

2002 Tacoma CCV/VSV wiring

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 12:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Tacoma CCV/VSV wiring

I'm moving my question to the 3.4 swap forum (from the more general 1995.5-2004 forum) because I think you guys have more hands on experience with the EVAP components. Let's see if I'm right

So I'm converting a 2002 5VZ-FE PreRunner Double Cab from 2wd to 4wd and A/T to M/T. It will be using the M/T ECU but has the stock AT wiring harness. I've gone through the wiring diagrams for both ECUs and I see something odd:

The M/T ECU diagram shows a connection to the canister closed valve/CCV VSV @ connector E7, pin 19.

The ECT wiring diagram, which is specific to the A/T and which shows a subset of the ECU pinouts, doesn't show any connection to the CCV, however, it shows connector E7, pin 19 connecting to the OIL sensor (A/T transmission fluid temp sensor, as I understand it).

So my question is, on 2002 A/T trucks, where/how does the CCV connect to ECU? It can't be E7, pin 19, because that's carrying the OIL signal...but no other connection for the CCV is shown on the wiring diagram. WTF? I have a hard time believing the CCV VSV is a M/T only sensor; I need to figure this out to complete my tranny swap this weekend.

BTW, I went through all the 1995.5 to 2004 ECU wiring pinouts to compile the pinout tables for the early Taco ECU reference guide, for both 5VZ and 3RZ, comparing auto vs. manual pinouts. Post-1997 there are literally only two or three instances where wires actually conflict (pin x is one function for the A/T and a different function for the M/T) and naturally, one of these is the 2002 5VZ-FE A/T vs M/T. FML. :rolleyes:

Jeff

Last edited by mosk; 07-22-2010 at 09:31 AM.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are specific sensors included on auto vehicle that are not an manual vehicles and vice versa. I have no problem believing that this sensor might not be present for one type but present for the other.

Instead of checking wiring diagrams, have a look for detailed vac and emissions diagrams. The sensor, if present should be included. That should tell you if it should be there or not, then, I guess, go over those diagrams again if it is there.
Old 07-22-2010, 06:23 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Jeff wish i could be more helpful but I had the same issue with the FPU and ACV being on the Taco setup but not the 4Runner. I have been still looking to figure out exactly how the AC idle-up works on the auto Runner motor, or the manual Runner motor and cant find anything. Hopefully my AC will work after this stage but we'll see.

I agree with UKRunner that it's not unrealistic that the two can have different circuits for their own needs. I don't understand why.....but that wouldn't be a new thing.
Old 07-22-2010, 07:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Idle up is controlled by the 3.4 ECU for the A/C. My A/C idle up valve is on the garage floor
Old 07-22-2010, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by UKrunner
There are specific sensors included on auto vehicle that are not an manual vehicles and vice versa. I have no problem believing that this sensor might not be present for one type but present for the other.

Instead of checking wiring diagrams, have a look for detailed vac and emissions diagrams. The sensor, if present should be included. That should tell you if it should be there or not, then, I guess, go over those diagrams again if it is there.
Well, having gone through all the early Taco ECU pinouts within the last month, on straight same year+motor tranny comparisons it is very common for some sensors to be A/T only, but very uncommon for the reverse to be true. I'll dig deeper tonight as I don't have all the FSM documentation with me here at work, but I guess I may need to add the CCV VSV circuit to make the M/T ECU happy. Or figure out what sort of signal it needs to be convinced that the sensor exists and is working A-OK.

Thanks for the feedback. Happy happy, joy joy.

Jeff
Old 07-30-2010, 10:43 AM

Bump with resolution

Completed my transmission swap - drives fine, with no CELs. Before I swapped over the MT ECU I physically verified the color of every wire in the harness and compared each wire to what was listed in the FSM (and what I had reported in my comparison tables). I found errors in both my table for the 2002 Tacoma 5VZE, which I'll correct shortly, and the FSM, which I'll also point out in my updated guide.

The biggest head scratch for me was this CCV wire, which was listed for the MT but not the AT ECU. The FSM for the MT ECU listed this as being on connector E7, pin 19 (E7-19). The FSM for the AT ECU listed that same pin as the OIL sensor wire.

In fact, E7-19 is the CCV sensor for both MT and AT. There's no conflict.
The OIL sensor wire is on E8-19, on the AT ECU.

Just putting this info here in case someone comes along later with the same question.

BTW, the truck drives really well with the MT -- feels more like a truck now, less like a passenger car with a bed

Jeff
Old 07-30-2010, 02:39 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Awesome! Glad you got it going. Yes, the manual is MUCH more pep than the auto for sure. Almost a + difference of going from the 3.0 to the 3.4 in the first place.

I cant even imagine the difference that you guys running the SC have!!!