Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

I want to get rid of the emissions crap...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 08:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I want to get rid of the emissions crap...

I'm new new here, but I did some hardcore searching; google, here and TN (feedback is a little slow). But I can't seem to find what I am looking for.

Basicaly the motor is stock but I would like to get rid of as much of the emmision stuff I can. I want a bare bones 3.0.
Recently I went through a tank of gas in 132 miles, Ok 35" tires with stock gearing will cut down on gas milage but damn!

So I am thinking it has to be the EGR system and I was right to a degree. the tube downstream from the EGR valve came loose and caused my 'Toy to stay in a cold start type of mode (idle @ 1200 rpm). Ok so I was looking at this rats nest of VAC lines and thinking "Do I realy need all of these lines"?

How much can I remove before the ECU freaks out?

I have found lots of info on the 22r, 22re 3.4 bla, bla but not a whole lot on the 3.0. It seems that everyone I talk to thinks this engine is = to a boat anchor; the redheaded step-child.

SPECS:
1990 Toy Mini Truck DLX (132,xxx miles)
13th Owner!

3.0L
Jacobs Omni-Pak ignition (disabled for now)
Fresh Tune up!
Downey Off-Road headers
Downey Exaust minus the CAT Custom because of the superlift kit.
New OEM EGR, O2 sensor
K$N filtercharger soon to be part of a custom snorkel (resonator, removed it broke)
**Gonna crack the air mass flow sensor (Downey hack) two clicks. See if that helps.
Right now the 'Toy runs real rich as she is, I wonder if the missing reronator has something to do with this.

LOCKnGO
Old 04-30-2005, 08:50 PM
Banned

35s with stock gears! you really need to regear....
Old 04-30-2005, 09:15 PM

Yeah I know. I can get a some 4:88's through work for a good $$ but I am waiting until I get the cash for a locker, and untill then I am trying to find some new back plates for the rear end due to rust through.
Old 05-01-2005, 05:59 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You might check for an exhaust leak since I see you have Downey headers and are running rich. If the O2 sensor sees too much O2 (like from an exhaust leak) the ECU adjusts the ratio richer. Some people here have had header leaks using those Downey header gaskets.

I wouldn't be any help on removing the VAC lines, sorry.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
you're NOT going to get more power from a fuel injected engine by taking off emissions equipment. do it right, get gears.

btw, your camber looks horrible in the front.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:43 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by kyle_22r
you're NOT going to get more power from a fuel injected engine by taking off emissions equipment. do it right, get gears.

You'll get mild gains with a high flow/no cat.....

But hes not looking for power, hes looking for better fuel milage which a less restrictive exhaust system will provide....

When its comes too mpg...gears wont help too much, at least in my experiences in changing gears I havent noticed any change in MPG cept for the worse since I'd have to run higher RPMs on the highway....but the power gain was great was awesome...
Old 05-01-2005, 09:47 AM

that may be true with the 3.4l, but i think on a 3.slow and a 22r-re that gears are pretty much required for decent fuel economy.

wade
Old 05-01-2005, 09:57 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by wimpywade94
that may be true with the 3.4l, but i think on a 3.slow and a 22r-re that gears are pretty much required for decent fuel economy.

wade

well regearing will help put you into the power band so you wont need to floor it as often...but once i went with bigger tires it seemd like the loss in MPG was almost impossible to get back without putting smaller tires back on....it was kinda like loosing 5mpg in the tire increase and gaining 1mpg with the regear...i think moving the unsprung weight of a larger tire cause the decrease in milage and the ratios of the larger tire cause a decrease in milage....but you can only fix one of those without putting smaller tires back on....
Old 05-01-2005, 11:31 AM
Contributing Member

I agree, regearing hasn't made any noticeable change in my mpg. It has made a big difference in power though.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by kyle_22r

Wow thanks for the replys everyone.

The camber is messed up because of the lift kit. Superlift supplied some really soft material ecliptical washers with the kit and they stripped out when I took it in for an alignment. I had to go to the dealer and get new bolt$$ but thats ok I am going to cut some shims to correct this minor problem.

I am not looking to get more power per say, but reduce the chances of something else to go wrong and clean up some of the clutter.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:11 AM
Banned

gears will help out, you may not notice them when you are running a 2" taller than stock tire... but thsoe tires he is running are well over 7" taller than stock! thats a big jump...... cutting off any part of the emissions system is illegal and can depending on howm uch a jerk the cop is and how much he knows about DOT code can wind you in jail and your vehicle impounded and destroyed..... chopping off all your emissions stuff isnt going to help your mileage, especially because hte computer will be like: WTF?! and try to correct it....
Old 05-02-2005, 03:40 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by LOCKnGO
Wow thanks for the replys everyone.

The camber is messed up because of the lift kit. Superlift supplied some really soft material ecliptical washers with the kit and they stripped out when I took it in for an alignment. I had to go to the dealer and get new bolt$$ but thats ok I am going to cut some shims to correct this minor problem.
Yeah, my Superlift eliptical washers got stripped out too. I couldn't find any new ones and Superlift wasn't any help either. I ended up adding some filler metal with my TIG welder and hand filing a new flat surface for the adjustment bolts to catch on. On the bolt head side it helps if you just tack weld the eliptical washers to the bolt head. not too much or you won't be able to get a wrench on it. Might want to do the tack welding with the bolt out so the heat doesn't hurt the rubber bushings.

Last edited by mt_goat; 05-02-2005 at 03:49 AM.
Old 05-02-2005, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
On the bolt head side it helps if you just tack weld the eliptical washers to the bolt head. not too much or you won't be able to get a wrench on it. .
Ha HA that happend to the SECOND TIME. I took the bolts to a welder and he made them FUBAR for me. i can't wait until i am 'almost' done. I have'nt driver her much just doing little things here and there.

next is gears 4.88 and maybe some experimenting with the emisions stuff.
See down here in Florida we have zero emision testing and inspection this is A BAD bad thing ( I know; I work at an auto parts store ) I have a few teaser shots of what is going on