Maintenance & Repair Archives Note: This section will be merged in with the other tech areas soon, and is now closed

clay bar

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004, 06:56 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clay bar

hey all,
i just used a clay bar for the first time today, thankx to all of you, i never would have even known about it, but anyways, i was shocked to say the least, woooow what a differance, looks new again, looked so good, i didnt want to drive it, lol.. anyways thankx all
Old 01-11-2004, 09:05 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Yes, darn amazing what it can do.
That is the first step I do after washing the rig when I prep it for a wax job.

I use the Porter Cable buffer and the Griot's attachment for the clay bar, and I can do the whole clay job down to around 45 minutes or less I think.
Old 01-12-2004, 05:23 AM
Ric
Banned - User requested

re

Corey
Im gonna get the PC buffer this spring, along with all the supplies to ge with it, i was just so surprised how well it turned out, and my brother and i didnt know what we was doing, lol, i think he really wanted to try it out on mine, hes making a show VW bug, anyways, thankx to everyone on here, it looks awesome again.....
Old 01-12-2004, 08:15 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Ric,

I highly suggest you get Zaino's products. For about the same cost as the PC buffer alone, you can buy all the necessary products from Zaino's including some pure 100% cotton towels which have the edges trimmed off and surged. It is especially great for dark colored paints.

I've gone down the PC/Griot's route and used it on both my black 99 and my wife's 95 Camry (dark green). While the PC/Griots combination was good, it doesn't hold a candle up to Zaino's. My wife and i occassionally get stares and a once-in-a-while compliment from strangers about how "new" our Camry looks.

Bob
Old 01-12-2004, 12:48 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

Bob

hey thankx for the heads-up there, (this is way i love yotatech) ill deff. look into it, when im ready, but what about the buffer ? should i get it ? or does Zaino`s have a good one ?
Thankx,
Ric
Old 01-12-2004, 06:23 PM
Contributing Member

Re: Bob

Dude I am in the same boat as you, I'm a shmuk when it comes to body detailing.

But Zaino is the easiest to put on. And I think is the best. You simply take a polishing pad from any store (personally I buy the Megiuer's brand) and wipe based on instructions on the body, let dry to a haze and use a polishing cloth to take off. Very simple...unfortunately, it is also the most time consuming of all brands as for first time users you need a bunch of applications.
Old 01-12-2004, 06:38 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

so i should get the PC buffer, and the Griot's attachment for the clay bar along with the clay bar, but use Zainos polishes ???
i cant wait till it warms up this spring and try this out "the right way"
Old 01-12-2004, 07:14 PM
Contributing Member

Without a doubt, go with Griot's.....
Old 01-12-2004, 09:07 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Even if you go with the Zaino products, do get the Porter Cable and the Griot's clay bar holder.

Why would anyone wanna spend a few hours claying, when they can knock it out in less time with the PC?
Plus the PC does a better job and it's more uniform than doing it by hand.

After waxing rigs since '75, I'd never go back to by hand again.
I can wax the whole rig in about 45 minutes with the PC.

Zaino is good, but I simply don't have the time or patience to spend several hours putting it on and letting it sit between coats like they tell you to do.

Griots' Best Of Show wax is also the best for a light colored rig like mine.

To see how easy the PC is use for claying, just visit my detail section.
http://pnw4runners.com/tando/wax/wax.htm

Look on the wax page for the claying video.
Old 01-12-2004, 09:09 PM
Contributing Member

I gave my truck the Griot's treatment a lil while back and it took me 6 hours altogether to do the dishwash rinse, Griot's wash, the dry, the claybar, and the wax. All by hand.

I need to get a Porter Cable cause my arms didn't want to move anymore when I was done.
Old 01-12-2004, 10:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
ric,

sal zaino says you don't need a buffer to use his products. that is to say it is meant to be done by hand. zaino does not recommend using a buffer as it (he claims) wastes more product (absorbtion) than it uses. ive read on autopia that there are a few folks who do use the PC buffer to apply it, but those few people are definitely in the minority. if you do use zaino or talk w/ anyone else who does, the phrase "a little goes a long way" definitely applies. the first time i used it, i said to myself "...that's it?"

the shine IMHO is amazing. my wife's green camry was not well taken care of (paint) and after using a ton of different products including 3M, meguiars, griots, mothers, etc, i didn't see an appreciable difference. however, after a SINGLE coat of Z5 swirl remover, i was sold.

the process is really no different from the way you are probably waxing yours right now:

1) dawn wash
2) claybar treatment (follow up dawn wash optional)
3) Z5 swirl remover mixed with ZFX- since you have black, Im sure you have a mess of spiders and swirls. repeat as necessary but two coats will probably be fine.
4) Z6 finishing spray- spray on and wipe off between each layer of Z5
5) Z2 when you are satisfied (their polish product)

the best addition to the zaino lineup is the ZFX. this accelerates the drying time of zaino products---the biggest complaint of zaino customers. no longer do you need to wait hours for it to dry.

it sounds complicated but its actually soooooo simple.

and the biggest benefit? the stuff lasts forever. i haven't zaino'd my wife's camry in over 7-8 months. all i did was wash it w/ zaino's car wash fluid (yes, use it!) and spray some Z6 finishing spray and it looks just as wet and glossy---maybe lost 10% of its luster.

As Corey said, if you want to buy a PC buffer to use the clay bar tool, then that is an option. personally, i didnt find that clay bar holder very effective as it can only reach the big surface areas anyways. i ended up returning it. i prefer to 'feel' it under my fingers. sure, it takes time, but you know its done right.

I believe ALBPM (i think thats his name) became a recent convert. one other member came over and they did both their trucks. amazing pics!

so to recap why i think zaino is best:

- best results
- longer lasting finish (side benefits- don't have to reapply as often)
- cheaper startup cost (get all the products for roughly the same price of hte buffer alone)
- there's a reason why porsche and corvette owners use either zainos or klasse (or so i have been told).

bob
Old 01-13-2004, 04:35 AM
Ric
Banned - User requested

re

thankx all for all the great replies, ideas, thougths and suggestions, it will be some time before spring time comes back, but seeing what a differance a very little time can make with that clay bar makes, i can just imagine what it will look like when i take the time this spring.
Ric
Old 01-13-2004, 07:25 AM

what is a clay bar

and what does it do? totally clueless, and my rig's paint is schmitus. thanks, dd
Old 01-13-2004, 08:17 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Re: what is a clay bar

Originally posted by dirk diggler
and what does it do? totally clueless, and my rig's paint is schmitus. thanks, dd
Look on my detail site in the wax section.
I explain on my site what a clay bar does.
http://pnw4runners.com/tando/wax/detail1.htm

Basicaly it removes the airborne crap that you can't see, but makes your paint rough.
It gets the surface smooth as glass by itself, and preps the surface so the polish/wax has a surface in which to bond to.

Yeah Phil, it is effortless using it, and you have to stop and ask yourself if it's really doing anything or not.

I have also gotten to the point of being a pro with the Porter Cable, and I can clay and wax everything on the rig with it, even the nooks and crannies.
No need for me to do any part by hand anymore.