Solid Axle Swaps, All Years Anything SAS related

preparing for a s.a.s

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
preparing for a s.a.s

Im buying the axle tuesday. Im gonna do a sas on my 91. just had a few questions. I have never done something this extensive before.

1. my arb bumper will no longer be usable because front spring perches will be in way. What winch bumper would u guys suggest using so i can still have my winch?

2. I want to use the kit from wab fab seems cheapest and comes with everything needed. Has anyone used this kit v.s. others what do u suggest?

3. is it necesarry to move i.f.s steering box when using highsteer knuckles. If so how big of a pain is the part to do?

4. I dont want a mechanical locker up front because u cant steer and dont have the mony for selectable. I have detroit limited front and rear now with ifs. what would u guys suggest as to put in with straight axle. How popular is limited slip in s.f.a. I really dont want to leave it open.

5. what are pros and cons of doing this swap on a daily driver. Im young and dont care about ride quality lol. Thanks in advance guys im sure it will be very helpful.

Last edited by weakyota91; 06-28-2007 at 10:57 PM.
Old 06-29-2007, 04:19 AM
Contributing Member

the bumper will be useable, but you have to modify it. I'll be modifying my Warn bumper for the same.

limited slips are crappy. An automatic locker is fine. I ran a lockrite in my IFS without any issues, it deactivates in turns, so yes, you can steer. Whoever told you you can't is BSing you.

I bought the T-G kit from Wabfab and it's complete.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:04 AM

Bump...I will be SAs soon
Old 08-17-2007, 05:16 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
everyone and their sister has used that kit. It is good.

The pros of doing this with your set up is that you will look cool and have stronger steering, and more flex. The cons are that you will be as strong or at best marginally stronger than your IFS, and be only slightly more capable. Basically the cons are that you are spending a lot to gain a little.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:04 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by AxleIke
at best marginally stronger than your IFS, and be only slightly more capable. Basically the cons are that you are spending a lot to gain a little.
you have got to be kidding me. I have far more flex, better approach angle, and stronger axles/steering with the T-G kit than I ever had IFS.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by chimmike
you have got to be kidding me. I have far more flex, better approach angle, and stronger axles/steering with the T-G kit than I ever had IFS.
Yeah for Stockfields!

A Lockright that disengaged in turns? Sweet!

Pros:
-Looks cool on the net

Cons:
-Opens a can of worms
Old 08-17-2007, 08:29 AM

I'll buy that ARB if your gunna get rid of it, you're just a short drive up I-5 and I'll pick it up too.

Last edited by 89silverpu; 08-17-2007 at 09:24 AM.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:33 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by chimmike
I'm not. If you read my post, i specifically said stronger steering and better flex as pros for the swap.

As for axles, best tests i've seen show stock birfields as, at best, marginally stronger than CV axles. Some say equal strength, but i think they are being a little too optimistic about CV's.

As for capability, i was referring specifically to the system the OP specified. He will be slightly more capable with is flexy SA set up than he was with his IFS, but he will still have LSD's front and rear.

He asked for opinions. More than likely he will never have an issue with his stock axles.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:04 AM
Contributing Member

I expect to see much better results than when IFS. There were more times than not when attempting a ditch crossing (deep, narrow ditches here in FL) where IFS hindered me more than I could stand.

Oh well.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:46 AM
Contributing Member

You will see better results.

You have more flex, and loads more ground clearance than before your swap.

Just pointing out the cons to the swap he mentioned. All of those issues will be corrected if he gets longfields, and lockers. Then he will begein to see a vast impovement in capabliity, and the cromo will keep things together.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:48 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by weakyota91
3. is it necesarry to move i.f.s steering box when using highsteer knuckles. If so how big of a pain is the part to do?
You will know if it is nessesary once you put the steering together and see if it hits itself.

There are kits available to make this an easy job: drill and weld. In extreme cases, it can require radiator support modification. Not a big deal, but a little extra work.

Here is one, the IFS HD mount kit

http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/steering.htm

Last edited by AxleIke; 08-17-2007 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:48 AM
Contributing Member

oh, I'll be doing a locker up front here eventually......and I'm considering just spooling the rear......for cost/advantage sake.
Old 08-17-2007, 01:31 PM

I'd prefer to put an Aussie Locker. They're cheap and very nice. I've one in the front of my IFS and definetively will put one in the front when I SAS my rig!

David
Old 08-17-2007, 03:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How does putting a spring hanger on the front of the truck increase approach angle? It's the bigger tires.

I have seen trucks denied obstacles because of Detroits and similar.

Spools cost more in other ways. Not so cheap when you go through tires twice as fast.

Several people who never broke IFS parts ate up Stockfields on their first trips.

IFS never held me back crossing ditches. Tire size, gearing and lockers did.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:02 AM
Contributing Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Im buying the axle tuesday. Im gonna do a sas on my 91. just had a few questions. I have never done something this extensive before.
An SAS was my first major project as well. Then I was hooked... and haven't been able to put the wrenches down since... plus my wallet no longer puts an unsightly bulge in my pants cause it's now so thin.

1. my arb bumper will no longer be usable because front spring perches will be in way. What winch bumper would u guys suggest using so i can still have my winch?
As stated above, an ARB will work... just needs a few mods, which will be child's play after all the work doing a swap.

2. I want to use the kit from wab fab seems cheapest and comes with everything needed. Has anyone used this kit v.s. others what do u suggest?
Probably one of the most complete and cost effective kits out there. Tried and true.

3. is it necessary to move i.f.s steering box when using highsteer knuckles. If so how big of a pain is the part to do?
Mine works in the stock location. I also kept the stock oilpan, even though some have mentioned clearance problems there as well. I'd start with the stock position and move only if you have interference issues.

4. I don't want a mechanical locker up front because u cant steer and don't have the money for selectable. I have Detroit limited front and rear now with ifs. what would u guys suggest as to put in with straight axle. How popular is limited slip in s.f.a. I really don't want to leave it open.
I put an Aussie locker in the front of mine. Have had very few times where steering was an issue. In Moab on the high traction slickrock was the only terrain that really gave me issues. That said, I probably would have kept any selectable locked all the time anyway... so steerring would have still been effected with an ARB or similar.

You just need to upgrade the steering to some sort of hydro assist if you want to turn a fully locked rig on certain terrain. 9 times out of 10 you'll probably want to have a locker engaged even if it makes steering tougher. A front locker adds a ton of capability to your vehicle, and generally is easier on parts as you won't have that high wheel spin to full stop when it grabs traction.

5. what are pros and cons of doing this swap on a daily driver. I'm young and don't care about ride quality lol. Thanks in advance guys I'm sure it will be very helpful.
Mine is a DD. I have no issue with the ride quality. On the freeway I'd bet no passenger could tell I didn't still have IFS. Speedbumps or higher speed off road you'll notice... but overall I have zero complaints. I drive this thing from AZ to UT and CO and my back is fine. The kit you have and quality shocks make a huge difference. I don't think you can fairly compare a modern SAS swap to an older factory straight axle. You'll be surprised I think.

The benefits I have found offroad from my SAS is ground clearance, more wheel travel, stronger steering components and the abilty to upgrade in terms of axles for even greater strength. I have Longfields now, which aren't available for IFS... and it's nice to have the piece of mind on the trail.

Additionally, you'll get an amazing amount of room underneath to get to things like your starter or oil pan. I think general overall access for most maintenance in the front end really improves. Alignment is a breeze and can be done yourself in 5 minutes or less... not that you will ever need to... the Hi-Steer and solid axle are beefy and simple.

I'd suggest adding a gusset in line with the frame behind the SAS hanger. I cracked my frame there, and after that happened it was easy to see why. Something like this:

Also suggest you plate the frame at the steering box once you find out if everything will clear. Those can crack as well... mine did.

Best of luck with your swap. It's a lot of work but very rewarding both in mechanical accomplishment as well as trail performance.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
What I would do is build your axle. Yota or bigger(dana or military)??? Put a high pinion front cause youll eventualy want one if you plan on SAS. ARB if you can afford of Elocker. youll want a front locker. Weld, spool or arb/elocker rear cause youll need it. with a SAS you will have more flex and chance but TRUE IFS can go if you dont do what Ive already stated. More ???'s then keep them comming cause if you plan this youve got more on your mind than just SAS trust me I can Help