Solid Axle Swaps, All Years Anything SAS related

cruiser springs SAS

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cruiser springs SAS

Would it be possible to do a SAS but insteat of leafs using cruiser lift springs and designing my own 4 link? would it be worth the work for the ride quality and flex or am i just giving myslelf difficulties? thanks for any help.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:18 PM

Its definatly worth the flex if you do it right! Have you ever compared 4link vs leaf pictures?

The only upside to leafs is the simplicity and reliability.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:28 PM

What kind of price am i looking at. im guessing alot unless i do everything myself. the only thing i dont want to do is the linkage because itll be a daily driver so i want it to handle as well as it can. it would definatly be different and unique.
Old 06-19-2007, 09:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
There are many, many, many swaps of this nature on pirate. Pay the money, search, it is WELL worth it.

The answer is this: Do it yourself, moderately expensive. Price will depend largely one whether or not you decide to do it right and build an axle that is actually stronger than your IFS or not. Do not cut corners on the suspension, you'll kill yourself and likely others.

Pay a shop, very expensive.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want tidier packaging, then coilovers are it.

You can pay a shop to do anything, just takes time and money.

If you can build stuff, why not build it?

If you are worried about drivability, I would suggest a different plan.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:16 PM
hud

4link in the front is difficult because of clearances with the oil pan, drive shaft, crossmember, and exhaust, among others. 3link would be another way to go, but it has its own fitment problems, especially getting the panhard parallel and looong enough. It looks like many homebrew link setups end up being way too tall to clear components. You could add a removeable sway bar to balance out the driveability. If you're worried about it, leaves are going to be hard to screw up, and the kits make it harder. The point of clarity here, is "What do you want the truck to do?" ie hardcore trails, weeked warrior rig, must get you to work on Monday, etc.

Since you mentioned links and leaves, let's throw radius arms into the mix:
If the rig is a dd, but you want it to wheel better than stock, you could get a fj80 front axle and suspension. It's radius arms, so there are only 2 main connections to worry about. The other stuff should be straight forward also: steering, spring buckets, shock mounts, brakes.

pros: uncomplicated installation, high pinion e-locker, 1-inch bigger birfs, extra width, predictable suspension that will ride and handle similar to the land cruiser

cons: It will flex like a stock land cruiser.

Last edited by hud; 06-21-2007 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:11 PM

yes i thought about getting cruiser axles....but seriously who sells them? im probly going to go with the leafs because im 15 and broke. well broke enough not to be able to afford link suspension. i do have a job but still. thanks for all the help guys.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:24 AM

Im thinking of doing the same, but use springs and a cruiser axle. Isn't the length of the axle perfect for a 91 swap? I think going this way would be easer since the cruiser axle has disks and its already strong, this is just a clouded idea that I have drawn up. Im going to look at pull and save tuesday and Im going to find one I hope. Damn Im lucky I work at a mazda dealership and have acess to welders and tools.
Old 09-03-2007, 10:36 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
By length of the axle I assume you mean the WMS to WMS (Wheel Mount Surface) measurement.

I don't know about perfect, you would ideally want to widen your rear axle too.

FJ80 front axle - 63.5"

91 PU rear axle- 58.5"

91 PU IFS front- 59"
Old 09-03-2007, 05:22 PM

yeah I was thinking about the added length to the frount and well the land cruiser had a option of diff lockers and at the j-yard their is one I think. So a jib and shackels, frount hanger, sterring thats about it other then cutting and busting ass doing the work. I got to bring a tape and size them up. thanks.