Solid Axle Swaps, All Years Anything SAS related

Birfield issue and grease question.. PICS

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 03:55 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Birfield issue and grease question.. PICS

wow, I searched high and low for any info on worn Birfs and how much grease to use and came up with not much.
I pulled the Birfs apart today. A total PITA. I used a brass bar and a BFH and hit the thing 20 times on each side hard has hell to get it to separate. Finally I got it but I broke the inside snap ring. I took the cage, bearings and inner races out and used a Dremel on medium speed with a light wire wheel to clean up the little damaged areas. Below are a few photos of before I cleaned them.
My question is: Are these cages, races and outer housing in good shape as well as the shaft? I intend on buy Longfields down the road but for now I want to reuse these Birfs (yes I know it is a greasy mess to change them out and I should do it now but I cant afford it at the moment). Also, is the grease in the photo below correct and if it is is it a good grease for the Birfs and did I pack enough in the outer shaft, races and bearings?
Thanks

Last edited by toyospearo; 11-29-2008 at 03:57 PM.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
thats the type of grease i use, its better than what came out

also i would pack some more grease in there now, and after you put the inner and outer back together..

other than that it looks good!.. i mean the cage has minor pitting but nothing to worry about.

Last edited by TOYOTA 1; 11-29-2008 at 04:22 PM.
Old 11-29-2008, 04:42 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
I appreciate that, thanks!
I got the pitting pretty cleaned up with the Dremel. I thought long and hard about springing for the Longfields but after I cleaned these I thought, hmm things don't look too bad. I will buy a front Aussie locker instead
Old 11-29-2008, 04:55 PM

lol yea, them longfields are nice.. but so far i have vever broke a birf.(knock on wood)..

the stock ones are pretty strong..

this broke before the birfs did

it was a fun day.
Old 12-12-2008, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOw, you spun those boggers didn't you, tisk tisk...
Old 12-12-2008, 09:46 AM

actually, i always spin them.

its not the spinning that breaks stuff its the sudden stop lol

yea, thats what a big log crossing, full skinny pedal, 4ft of air, and a bagged bogger will get you...

p.s i made it threw the obstacle though
Old 12-12-2008, 10:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by toyospearo
wow, I searched high and low for any info on worn Birfs and how much grease to use and came up with not much.
I pulled the Birfs apart today. A total PITA. I used a brass bar and a BFH and hit the thing 20 times on each side hard has hell to get it to separate. Finally I got it but I broke the inside snap ring. I took the cage, bearings and inner races out and used a Dremel on medium speed with a light wire wheel to clean up the little damaged areas. Below are a few photos of before I cleaned them.
My question is: Are these cages, races and outer housing in good shape as well as the shaft? I intend on buy Longfields down the road but for now I want to reuse these Birfs (yes I know it is a greasy mess to change them out and I should do it now but I cant afford it at the moment). Also, is the grease in the photo below correct and if it is is it a good grease for the Birfs and did I pack enough in the outer shaft, races and bearings?
Thanks

Use CV joint grease. You can buy it at the parts store. It will usually come in a bag, sometimes a tube but not a tub. If you can't find it make sure the grease you do use is rated for constant velocity joints. An easy way to pack the joint is get it together like you have here:

Take a medium sized ziplock bag and fill it with grease. Make sure to seal it good. Now get all the grease to be at the corner bottom of the bag. Cut the corner of the bag with a razor and insert it in the hole. Keep pressure in the hole and squeeze. Your bearings are now packed

Watch the video on how he greases the CV joint. Same concept but with a bag.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZoa1...eature=related

James

Last edited by JamesD; 12-12-2008 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-24-2008, 08:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JamesD
Use CV joint grease. You can buy it at the parts store. It will usually come in a bag, sometimes a tube but not a tub. If you can't find it make sure the grease you do use is rated for constant velocity joints. An easy way to pack the joint is get it together like you have here:

Take a medium sized ziplock bag and fill it with grease. Make sure to seal it good. Now get all the grease to be at the corner bottom of the bag. Cut the corner of the bag with a razor and insert it in the hole. Keep pressure in the hole and squeeze. Your bearings are now packed

Watch the video on how he greases the CV joint. Same concept but with a bag.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZoa1...eature=related

James

Really? Interesting packing technique.....never heard of that before....I pack em the same way I pack wheel bearings