Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Ohio: Vinton County Round Up-8/26-8/28

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ohio: Vinton County Round Up-8/26-8/28

Vinton County Round Up

Located in the heart of Ohio’s wheelin’ country, Vinton County hosts some magnificent trail riding opportunities for a moderately equipped trail rig.

This run will stage out of the Lake Alma Campgrounds below the spill way on St. Rt. 324 near Hamden, Ohio. Strategically located between Stone Quarry, Tar Hallow and Richland Furnace all three trails are just minutes away.

Lake Alma hosts primitive camping, swimming at the beach, fishing, showers, minimal supplies and amazing scenery. The nearby towns of Hamden, Dundas and McArthur all host convenient stores, restaurants, minimal shopping, minimal lodging, fuel, parts, camping supplies and more.

Each day will start with a mandatory driver’s meeting to discuss the days run and split into groups. Each group of no more than 7 will run opposite trails all days. Meaning, while one group runs Stone Quarry another will run Tar Hallow and another Furnace. Then the next day, switch. This will keep the numbers on the trails manageable and moving. If by chance there is more than one group running the trail for the day, the start times will stagger by 3 hours.

Itinerary

The event will start Friday, August 26th with the 9 am drivers meeting and run thru Sunday, August 28th, 2005 Saturday Night will be the raffle, group cookout at the main Pavilion and the Midnight Run.

The Midnight Run will start 30 minutes after dinner or Dark. Which ever is closer and we will run the longest, tuffest loop at the place and open to all well equipped vehicles. This will be the same loop done during the day and is approximately 30 miles offroad and can take from 5-10 hours depending on the conditions.

During the days of Friday, Saturday and Sunday will be spent running each of the three trails.

Descriptions and Trail Ratings

The Loop : The Connector-to-Beard Cemetery-to-Stone Quarry (The hardest and longest)

Furnace: Easier than Quarry and better for lesser equipped rigs

Tar Hollow: Can be very novice friendly.

Cost is free for the event, you are responsible for your own food (except for Saturday Night) reserving your camping space, etc.

More details for this event will unfold and be posted at jonnyquestoffroaders.com Sign up for this is mandatory so we can have an idea of how many to expect.

Trail Guides will be supplied to each group.
Old 07-11-2005, 03:26 PM

what will "moderately equipped" mean?

so basically what levels are these trails? And for what type of vehicles?
Old 07-11-2005, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by AznSky
what will "moderately equipped" mean?

so basically what levels are these trails? And for what type of vehicles?
Hey Rob,

Yeah, not very clear in the first post. Good Q. By the looks of your avatar,you'll have fun.

If your truck has MTs and A locker you'll run all the trails and have a blast. If you're open in the rear or front, you'll need a strap but we can place you in between built trucks if you're wanting to run with the bigger rigs.

A lesser equipped vehicle is an open diff and ATs. We really want to have a run for most rigs that like to go offroad.

All three locations have "hardcore stuff" but on the loop is dangerous cause there are usually no bypasses to the obstacles. Beard Cemetary has a 6 foot rock ledge you'll only get up if your locked or have a winch. Body damage on the Loop is expected. It's pretty hardcore. Vince just flopped there yesterday.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:32 PM

Well dog-gone it Trekker! I missed the run with you guys, got buried in a mudhole 400 yards in, broke a motormount, and on the way home from West Virginia while on a climbing trip, my front main seal blew and my radiator fan shroud busted. Great luck, and a great day if I may say. At least I didn't pull a Vince and "flop" the taco. Anyways, I'm gonna have the yota back in tip-top shape by the end of this week so I'm ready for some action. Can't wait to see you new mods. ....and congrats on the Aussie adventure. SIMEX tires are SICK!

Last edited by rngrchad; 07-11-2005 at 04:36 PM.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by rngrchad
Well dog-gone it Trekker! I missed the run with you guys, got buried in a mudhole 400 yards in, broke a motormount, and on the way home from West Virginia while on a climbing trip, my front main seal blew and my radiator fan shroud busted. Great luck, and a great day if I may say. At least I didn't pull a Vince and "flop" the taco. Anyways, I'm gonna have the yota back in tip-top shape by the end of this week so I'm ready for some action. Can't wait to see you new mods. ....and congrats on the Aussie adventure. SIMEX tires are SICK!
Thanks Chad,

Use the link in my Sig and sign up for our forums. I'm moving this over to MUD