Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

Naches trail run with TTORA 8/24

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2002, 05:33 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Naches trail run with TTORA 8/24

Info here.

Read the presidents description of this trail.
Pucker factor is right, as both my cheeks puckered back in Oct. of 2000 when I ran this trail.

He's right about the mirrors being close to the trees.
In a few spots I had about one inch of space on each side of my mirror.

Shane, this sounds like a good trip for you.
Come on out Matt, you would have a blast
This will give you an idea of some of the trails we run out here in WA. state.

Here are some pics from July 29th of past year on the Naches trail from the WA. chapter of TTORA.
http://www.wattora.com/pastevents/20010729/Default.htm

You can see where someone actually cut the tree to make mirrors clear it.
I did that trail too with running boards. I made it through without one scratch on my rig except for minor ones in the top 1/2" of wax I keep on the rig

This is really a locker type of trail, but I made it through with a spotter who was very skilled.
Old 07-19-2002, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just RSVP'd It's an easy but fun trail IMO. I'd say ~2.5-3 out of 5 rating though, not 3.5-4 like they say.
Old 07-20-2002, 05:37 PM
Contributing Member

I look forward to meeting you Shane, as I'll be on that run too. Should be a good time from what I hear.
Old 07-21-2002, 07:59 AM
Banned

Re: Naches trail run with TTORA 8/24

Originally posted by Corey
Come on out Matt, you would have a blast
I'm taking a 4 day weekend the week before for a certain 3 day shindig you might have heared about. Asking for a 2 week vacation after only 6 weeks on the job might send the wrong signal about my work ethic.

Maybe if there is something shaking in September or October I can make the road trip happen. I really want to soon (before winter).
Old 07-21-2002, 11:48 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Re: Re: Naches trail run with TTORA 8/24

Originally posted by jx94148

I'm taking a 4 day weekend the week before for a certain 3 day shindig you might have heared about. Asking for a 2 week vacation after only 6 weeks on the job might send the wrong signal about my work ethic.

Maybe if there is something shaking in September or October I can make the road trip happen. I really want to soon (before winter).

I think we should plan a trip in Oct, I could take time off and go..I OWN SPRINT, they will BOW!!

Matt, Corey needs a GOOD excuse to fly in on the CO run, no of mine are working, you try.. Im trying to beg for the time off to drive from KC, well see.. My boss is being a terd burglar right now because Im heading to Hawaii for a couple weeks!!
Old 07-22-2002, 07:47 AM

Traction right now is not an issue, there are 3 hills that will be kinda hard due to loose dirt/rocks, we have ran it with open diffed rigs with little to no problem.. As for carving out trees to fit, thats "JUST PLAIN" wrong, and pisses me off to no end, if you can't play the game, then stay home...
Old 07-22-2002, 07:58 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I totally agree on the cutting of the trees.
That will slowly kill that tree.

Must have been for a bigger rig to get through there.
When I ran the trail in Oct. 2000, I never saw those notches, unless they were on a section we were not on.

But that is wrong to cut them. They only time to cut a tree is when it's dead and blocking a trail by laying across it, but that's just general trail maintenance anyway.

Who knows, it may have been those guy's in the big rigs from
Eric Johnson's trip.
Corey
Old 07-22-2002, 08:00 AM

Na, eric would have said something, known him for many a years, at least I would hope not...
Old 07-22-2002, 05:22 PM
Banned

Angry Trees & mirrors

Every 4x4 I have riden in had some kind of fold in or out mirrors so this tree notching is an outrage.

When you think you have to notch a tree to not contact it you are thinking with your chainsaw and not your thinker. That tree will soon die and fall across the trail, blocking it indeffinatly for all uses.

When the hikers and bikers that may use the same trail see this and report it to the forest service, it puts another reason to close trails into the arguement. (Or close them to OHVs only) There are a lot of arguements against offroaders as it is, don't try to find new ways to close trails.

Tree dodging is half the fun and challenge of a good trip. Its another way to display your vehicle control skills. I have gotten pretty good at missing trees by 3" or less on either side simultaniously. If you have problems fitting your vehicle in between trees you need to find another trail more suited to your skill level and vehicle.
Old 07-22-2002, 05:39 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Originally posted by crash
Na, eric would have said something, known him for many a years, at least I would hope not...
Yeah, I meant the guy's in the Fords & the Chevys that were shaking the trees in the distance that he wrote about.
Does he still live around here?
I thought I read somewhere that he moved.
Corey
Old 07-22-2002, 05:58 PM

Y'know, I can't seem to remember ever seeing any trees cut like that on Naches when I last ran it a year ago. Must've been done recently. :mad: Reminds me of the Hummer group that ran a very tight local trail and chainsawed everything that they couldn't fit through. :rolleyes: Damned yuppies.
Old 07-22-2002, 06:08 PM

Yup, eric is still around, in fact, recently his rig tossed another timing chain, i was going to drag it to my place but I am over wealmed with building rigs as is, and he is even conteplating getting back into the game, but told him i get first dibs on the sawzall play time

And matt, a big AMEN, i soo agree.. In fact, we built a trail up at reiter called Tight ASS, well, i t aint so tight now, and those who show on sat get a chance to see how they fair on the trail...
Old 07-22-2002, 06:34 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Shane, I wonder if those pics from TTORA of the trees cut are up on this trail that you were going up June of last year?

I have not been up on that one. That's the trail I sat out for a few hours and scouted around and I found the entrance to the Naches that later that day we all ended up going on.

I don't think that trail is called the Naches there though. It's a few miles long I think, and ended up coming out onto a road where I met up with the rest.

A guy in his FZ80 'Cruiser bent the heck out of his running boards. They ended up taking them off.
These pics here of Ken & RokToy is up on the same trail.

I have no idea what that trail is called, unless it is part of the Naches.

Do you think you could find this place again?

I missed out on since I got sick that trip. That isn't the same trail that Mack caught air on was it?
I don't have a pic of that.

Crash, you ever see Joe Chacon? Is he going to get back in a Toy again?
Corey
Old 07-22-2002, 06:56 PM

I spoke with joe earlier last week, na, he is done with the rig thing, heavy into the quad stuff, i think he got the fear of god invoked in him...
Old 07-22-2002, 06:57 PM

That last pic looks like on the west side of the trial up on the ridge before you cross over 70 for the last time...
Old 07-22-2002, 08:54 PM

I have no idea what that trail is called, unless it is part of the Naches.
Yes, it is.
That isn't the same trail that Mack caught air on was it?
Yes, it is.
Originally posted by crash
That last pic looks like on the west side of the trial up on the ridge before you cross over 70 for the last time...
Yes, it is.

Old 07-22-2002, 09:08 PM

So toss that dayum keyboard, rip it outa the PC, hop on the rig and lets go put some scratchs in it, so you guys have something to buff on,lol...
Old 07-23-2002, 03:12 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Naches trail run with TTORA 8/24

Originally posted by kctopher

I think we should plan a trip in Oct, I could take time off and go..I OWN SPRINT, they will BOW!!

Matt, Corey needs a GOOD excuse to fly in on the CO run, no of mine are working, you try.. Im trying to beg for the time off to drive from KC, well see.. My boss is being a terd burglar right now because Im heading to Hawaii for a couple weeks!!
If Corey needs an excuse let it be this, I have one empty $50 "recycled" bucket seat that he can fill if he flies out. I might even let him drive a little if he wants. What do you say Corey?

Hawaii, sounds nice. I think you can't ever have too many summer vacations. You should devote an entire vacation each year to one of your hobbies. Hawaii this month, the San Juans the next, how can your boss argue this logic??
Old 07-23-2002, 03:48 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Matt, I would love to go on that trip, but my schedule won't allow me to leave right now.
I am attending meetings trying to get back into school, and that is very hectic.

I also have to keep track of job searches through out the week, you name it.
Lots of red tape here in WA. being off work.

They want to know every place you apply for work, and you almost feel like they are watching you.

And with school starting up very soon, it's even more hectic trying to complete all this paper work and all.

It's gonna be a long time before I get called back to Boeing, so I have to do something in the meantime.
Corey