Off Road Trip Planning, Expeditions, Trips, & Events Discussion pertaining to scheduling trail runs and outings

CO4RJ (Colorado 4Runner Jamboree) 2009!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 06:22 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Looks like a nice trail.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Volcom
That's the One I can never remember the damn name.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:53 PM

where is everybody camping?
Old 03-24-2009, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by van7559
where is everybody camping?
Last year we camped here.
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...,0.154495&z=13

Originally Posted by Volcom
GPS of the campsite
N38 51.479 W106 03.380

Take 315 to the intersection and turn left on 376. The campsite will be right there!!!

If you copy and paste those coordinates into Google Maps, it will show you exactly where the campsite is located.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:08 PM

Hole to crawl into.

I can't decide if it's worth it to find a local hotel. I am not so much the fan of camping... Is anyone declaring an official motel or hotel for CO4RJ types?

What's a good town to target nearby for an inexpensive overnight? I'm no snob by any means, but I don't dig sleazy. My uncle lives in Black Forest, so I can always stay with him if it's not too far, but it looks to be an hour away at the very least...

STICK

Last edited by SharpStick; 03-24-2009 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by SharpStick
I can't decide if it's worth it to find a local hotel. I am not so much the fan of camping... Is anyone declaring an official motel or hotel for CO4RJ types?

What's a good town to target nearby for an in expensive overnight? I'm no snob by I don't dig sleazy. My uncle lives in Black Forest, so I can always stay with him if it's not too far, but it looks to be an hour away at the very least...

STICK
Black Forest is going to be ~2.5 hrs away
Here is a list of Hotels in Buena Vista.
http://yp.yahoo.com/py/ypResults.py?...ttype=distance
Old 03-24-2009, 02:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Dang this looks like fun. The only concern I have is that I may not have a lift or front locker by the time this kicks off. Money is tight around here. Are there any really easy trails that I can run with an 89 4runner with one locker?

Oh and I am so going to sleep in the rig and stop at every water hole and fish until you make me leave.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:54 PM

Your avatar looks like it was shot in my garage.

I've already made plans to be at CO4RJ, but I'll be in the nearly unmodified 4Runner (1997) that I just acquired. I'm going to have a number of less lethal trails up my sleeve so we can get all high-mountain freaky without the huge rock-crawling madness that the more equipped dudes on this trip will attack.

Bone-Stock Rodeo.

STICK

PS> I'd be sleeping in the truck parked next to you if my woman wasn't coming with.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:17 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by SharpStick

What's a good town to target nearby for an inexpensive overnight? I'm no snob by any means, but I don't dig sleazy. My uncle lives in Black Forest, so I can always stay with him if it's not too far, but it looks to be an hour away at the very least...

STICK
I've stayed at the Alpine lodge a few times, and will be again this year. It's the closest motel to the group's campground and about the cheapest around. Nothing special, but ok. Here's their website: http://www.vtinet.com/alpine/
Old 04-03-2009, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Junkers88
Dang this looks like fun. The only concern I have is that I may not have a lift or front locker by the time this kicks off. Money is tight around here. Are there any really easy trails that I can run with an 89 4runner with one locker?

Oh and I am so going to sleep in the rig and stop at every water hole and fish until you make me leave.
Yes, no front locker needed for quite a few of the trails!

Boulder Mountain
Chinaman Gulch (just have to watch yourself on the Squeeze and the notch)
Grizzly Lake
Holy Cross (at least to French Creek)
Iron Chest (33's and a locker)
Mount Antero
Mount Princeton
Pomeroy Lakes
Tincup Pass
Williams Pass
Wheeler Lake
Old 04-27-2009, 08:12 AM

So are trails being run Fri, Sat and Sun? Or is Sunday "travel home" day for most? We're trying to finalize our plans.

John
Old 04-27-2009, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Mojo_Risin
So are trails being run Fri, Sat and Sun? Or is Sunday "travel home" day for most? We're trying to finalize our plans.

John
I believe most people ran trails on Sunday last year. I plan on running on Sunday this year (aka no breaking on Saturday ).
Old 04-27-2009, 08:32 AM
Contributing Member

I was planning on doing some trail Sun.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:48 AM

Will there be a place to register for the trails there or is it come and meet people and do the trails with the people you meet? just trying to gage the amount of planning I have to do before hand. If there is going to be meet points and a trail agenda then that is great or if it is just scenic trails this way and this trial over here, run with whoever is going.

Is there any volunteer workers needed for this event? I am moving back to Colorado in June and will be at this event and could offer help if needed, setting up tents or tables and that. I do not know the trails to lead any runs but am willing to help anyway I can.
Old 04-27-2009, 01:28 PM

We don't really have an official sign up or register for the event. It's more of just show up and have fun wheeling weekend. Most people arrive Friday afternoon / night at the campsite I've posted in the first thread.

Most people meet at the campsite in the mornings to get into groups to head out to the trailheads. You have to walk around and talk to other people to find out who's running what and when.

We usually don't have a tent or table setup since everyone usually meets up in the morning. Thanks for the offering to help, I appreciate that! I'd suggest to just show up and tag along with some other people and rigs that are similarly built to your own. Somebody in each group usually has been on that trail before and can lead that day. I also print off several copies of the Trail-Damage guides to each trail just in case people don't know how to get to the trail.
Old 04-27-2009, 02:45 PM

Sunday no go-go.

Damn, us not-so locals will be rolling homeward on Sunday.

I hope there's some good action on Saturday. I think I'll be going uphill somewhere on Friday too, if anyone wants to come along. I'm going to spend the bulk of the week in Colorado, so if I come to Buena Vista on Friday morning I'm going to want to find something to do.

Too much road-time on Sunday to try for a morning run.

STUCK with a long drive home
Old 04-27-2009, 06:59 PM

Some of us (including myself) roll into camp Thursday night. I know there will a majority of us running Holy Cross that Friday. I can't guarentee somebody will be around Friday to run with ya SharpStick but your always welcome to tag along with us to Holy Cross and ride shotgun. I'd suggest passing on taking the stock 4Runner on that trail though

Once it gets closer, post up to see if anybody is going to be there Friday and wants to run something close to BV, I bet there will be somebody!
Old 04-27-2009, 07:17 PM

I'm going to say there is a pretty good chance we're gonna be running trails Friday and Saturday and have Sunday being a take it easy, pack up camp, drive home day for us. With the cargo we have this year (a 2 year old and 6 month old) we'll be running the more mild trails. We're finalizing our plans and will post up for sure within the next few days.

John
Old 04-28-2009, 05:52 PM

I'll be running Holy Cross this year. May even just tow the 4runner up there. We'll see when it gets closer.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by ScottyC
I'll be running Holy Cross this year. May even just tow the 4runner up there. We'll see when it gets closer.
That's what I like to hear

Quick Reply: CO4RJ (Colorado 4Runner Jamboree) 2009!