FJ Cruiser 2007 & on

Warning: Angry Rant -- FJ Cruiser Hate

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 06:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Warning: Angry Rant -- FJ Cruiser Hate

I've been looking for a new 'Yota 4x4 for the last while I fell in love with the FJ Cruiser and then I fell out of love with it. Love at first sight was the drivetrain and interior.

A real do-it-yourself transfer case with a five-speed auto, 32" tires, diff-lock, hose-it-out interior with simple plastic parts and lots of storage, made-in-Japan quality with a left-hand, curb-opening rear hatch, awsome 16" five-spoke rims that pay homage to the mags of the '60s and '70s, I thought I was sold.

Then I drove a few. The visibility is absolutely terrible. What were the designers thinking? Huge, huge blind spots. A vertical windshield two feet in front of the driver that cuts off anything important overhead like traffic lights.

Then it comes with a stupid roof rack that adds inches to the overall height which severely limits its garage-ability, both at home and in town. Not everyone (like your humble ranter) lives and works in the wide open suburbs or sticks where this isn't a problem.

And why premium fuel? The Tacoma and 4Runner are rated less on regular with the same engine, so what makes the FJ 4.0L V6 so special? Speaking of engines, why no 3.0L Turbo Diesel in North America? It's because of emissions certification, I'm pretty sure, but Australia has very tough emission standards as well, and 'Yota diesels there are an everyday thing.

And although this is an FJ roast, the Tacoma and 4Runner deserve honourable mention. Ultimately, no bare-bones 4x4 base models with a V6 and the hardcore hardware. Only huge option packages. If I want the locking rear diff, I have to take the leather steering wheel/shifter, a chrome grill, dual vanity mirrors, "metallic dash inserts" and stupid stickers. WTF?

When I was a kid, the 4Runner was a basic two-door Toyota truck with a bulletproof chassis and a simple SUV body with a removable back roof.

Sorry for waxing nostalgic, but I wish Toyota North America would recognize many of us aren't fickle and prissy. That is all.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry it wasn't for you. Glad you found that out on the test drive and not after you purchased it like some.

Note : It doesn't 'require' premium fuel. It is only recommended but it runs fine on RUL.

DEWFPO
Old 02-25-2009, 08:34 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by truckmike26
Sorry for waxing nostalgic, but I wish Toyota North America would recognize many of us aren't fickle and prissy.
You just summed it all up with that sentence.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agreed. I like the FJ Cruisers till i got in one. Seems pretty roomy when you look at it from the outside. But inside it felt more cramped than my xcab tacoma. And i definatley argree witht the blind spot and poor windshield placement comments. Oh well I guess if you dont like it dont buy it. Easy fix.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:31 AM

haha FJ= Fake Jeep lol
Old 02-25-2009, 10:06 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I bought mine before I had actually ever seen a real one in person.
In fact I did not even drive one until I drove mine off the lot after it had come in.

I knew it would be a great rig since it was built on the overseas Prado platform, then same frame that the 4th gen 4Runner is built on.

There is a lot more headroom in the FJ than the 4Runner.
But if you need to haul people, the 4Runner is the better choice since the current FJs do not have two true rear doors.

Taking out the rear seats though in the FJ gives you a ton of room to use for overlanding/camping gear.

No blind spot issues for me, as I was trained to use my mirrors.
Stop lights are no issue either for me, as I can see them fine.
The interior is huge, I do not feel cramped in the rig.
It is by far the best Toyota I have owned yet.

But for a daily driver, weekend 4wheeler, and an overlanding rig the way I have set mine up, I dig it.

And as mentioned above, you can run any gas in it.
I run Regular most of the time, and sometimes will run a tank of Super Premium for a week.

Old 02-25-2009, 11:51 AM

Awwww damn someone stylin ...nice looking rig love the penthouse !!!
Old 02-25-2009, 05:02 PM

I've had my FJ for 2 wks now...
had to get used to the SMALL outside mirrors, just a little more caution when merging lanes other than that its no worse than my e150 van....
I just dont pull up so close to the lights so there's no problem seeing them...
i use regular gas and put 100mi/day on it - wish there was a diesel option also but just not for now.
i just park mine out in the drive so adding the even taller than OEM roof rack from ARB didnt bother me
Is it a perfect vehicle? No, but then i've never owned or driven one that was....
Old 02-25-2009, 05:51 PM

My dad had the TRD Special Edition *drools*. I LOVED that truck! Its by far my favorite 4x4 he's owned (he gets a brand new car about every 9 months or so, has been that way for almost 10 years now, he just gets bored), and its my second favorite overall vehicle he's owned. The only thing that beats it in my book was his '04 S2000. I had no complaints about the windshield, and you just have to adjust to the blind spots. I personally think its an amazing truck and I will definitely, without doubt, be looking for TRD Special Edition when I can afford it
Old 02-25-2009, 06:27 PM

What kind of mini cooper garage were trying to park it in? My 4Runner on big 33's still fits in all garages unless they are under 6'6". Now with my roof rack and RTT were looking at a problem. Every time I go to the Dealer they try and sell me a FJ "it can forger 23" of water" and... so can I. Not to mention it's smaller than the 3rd gen with less vis. I like them and would drive one but I still want my 4Runner. Corey's rig is set up similar to my Runner and I'd drive it the blind spot couldn't be near as bad as the H3 which is like driving a box that someone use a box cutter to make the windows.

Aaron
Old 02-25-2009, 07:13 PM

I would like to agree with the general sentiment. I fell in love with yota WAY back in the late 80's with the 1st gen runner and the awesome little trucks. The 22r/22re and the 4runner literally built Toyota into what it is today. The engine was damn near indestructable and the 4runner was the perfect mans car. The truck was awesome as well, just didnt own one. It had function and it had just sheer will to survive. That being said, you soon see as Toyota gets bigger and bigger the need to soften the vehicles comes along.. MASS appeal. I hope not to offend anyone, but when I was younger the 4runner was my DREAM vehicle. It was a tough little beast. I wouldn't own a new one if you paid me.

And the new monstrosity of a Toyota truck, that makes a dodge look small. The Ugliest thing I have ever seen. Small, reliable and tough.....thats what I learned to love about Toyota's. I def think that mission statement got pushed aside to BIGGER, More COMPLEX(which almost always means BREAKS MORE) and more money.

I am waxing nostalgic as well.
I just bought a 99 Tacoma, and ma pleasantly surprised at it. The 3.0 had left me pissed. The 3.4 in my truck has given me hope.

Edit: Count me as one who when he first heard about the new FJ was excited. Its specs seemed promising...and they are..but the design? The exterior and interior seem so alien. All the plastic, on an OFF ROAD vehicle. And all the flashy bits..yuck.

Last edited by GVOLCRunner; 02-25-2009 at 07:15 PM.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:57 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Corey

Corey,

What is the guy in the site behind you doing...looks like he is relieving himself....
Old 02-25-2009, 10:04 PM
Contributing Member

RR locker is standard in M/T's, optional in A/T's, so is available in a base model if you like DIY trannies. The roof rack is optional on all FJ models and may be deleted.

Anyway, FJ has caught on. It's been outselling 4Runner in the snow belt regions like mine since last year, and is the shortest supply vehicle in the entire Toyota lineup next to Prius.

Not that your criticisms aren't valid, but I've never noticed them except the blind spots fixed with convex mirrors ($4).

I haven't had as versatile, unique and fun vehicle in many years and mine's nearly bone stock. They're not for everyone, but for a versatile SUV with the emphasis on sport, I think they did a fine job.

Last edited by BT17R; 02-25-2009 at 10:14 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:32 AM

heard quite bit about the paint problems, it's very easy to get dinged up, kinked and lack of clear coat, is true or lame?

oh, regarding to the diesel engine, i went to Indy Autoshow after Christmas, i asked a rep from Toyota USA why they don't make these little boggers available here. his answer, i quote: "Americans don't want buy diesel vehicles, we tried to bring them over in the early 80's, but nobody wanted to buy them". i almost puked, i am not old enough to remember if what he said was true or not, let's say it was true, but com'n, the 80's?? back then no body even wanted to carry a portable telephone.

Last edited by TC4RNR; 02-26-2009 at 08:45 AM.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:49 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Originally Posted by nieuwendyk-25
Corey,

What is the guy in the site behind you doing...looks like he is relieving himself....
He he he...
It looks like he was trying to put out the fire
Just the pic, he was not watering the fire.

Him and his wife or girlfriend were from Germany and touring National Parks like Mt. Rainier and others.
That was their last night up there (my first night) and they left in the morning.

That will probably be where I vacation again for a week come this August.
It is just to nice up there, so disconnected from everything.
Here is all the pics and a vid.
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f100...ark-wa-151692/
Old 02-26-2009, 10:02 AM
Contributing Member

Toyota imported diesel pickups and Camrys in the '80's. What the TMS rep didn't say is "at current fuel and vehicle prices".

All TMS research shows that the current market won't support the added cost of a diesel truck or SUV. A diesel Tundra would require a new frame and tranny. Also, given high diesel fuel costs, it's a non-starter in the US.

I don't know about the paint. Mine has clearcoat, but I don't think the white roofs do. Otherwise, metallics all have clearcoat.

Originally Posted by TC4RNR
heard quite bit about the paint problems, it's very easy to get dinged up, kinked and lack of clear coat, is true or lame?

oh, regarding to the diesel engine, i went to Indy Autoshow after Christmas, i asked a rep from Toyota USA why they don't make these little boggers available here. his answer, i quote: "Americans don't want buy diesel vehicles, we tried to bring them over in the early 80's, but nobody wanted to buy them". i almost puked, i am not old enough to remember if what he said was true or not, let's say it was true, but com'n, the 80's?? back then no body even wanted to carry a portable telephone.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by BT17R
I don't know about the paint. Mine has clearcoat, but I don't think the white roofs do. Otherwise, metallics all have clearcoat.
http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...hipping-my-fj/
Old 02-26-2009, 03:40 PM
Contributing Member

So, from the TS link, there appears to be maybe a dozen FJ's with chips out of about 135,000 imported into the US so far. In my area gravel and cinder is spread on roads for traction. I only have one pinhead sized chip on the hood that I'll fill in with touchup paint when it warms up. I think the OEM fender flares and mudguards to a good job keeping the paint clean.

Now off-road scratches are another story. I've had to buff out the clearcoat with a Porter-Cable and Griot's polish going from most to least aggressive to restore original shine, followed with their machine wax for extra protection. It really helps.

I wonder how many of the FJ owners complaining of chips have oversized tires and modified suspensions and bumpers that remove some paint protection?
Old 02-26-2009, 03:55 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Zero nicks in my paint with larger than stock size tires.
The paint does scratch easier than any other rig I have owned, but I have not seen it chipped.

I hear a lot of new vehicles have softer paint these days.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:22 PM
Contributing Member

True, EPA regs made manufacturers switch to water-based paints that seem to scratch easier if not clearcoated.

Quick Reply: Warning: Angry Rant -- FJ Cruiser Hate