93-98 T100s All T100 trucks

T100 aftermarket stereo. Anyone been there?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
T100 aftermarket stereo. Anyone been there?

Hi All!

New here, with a new (to me) '96 T100 SR5 Xtra Cab.

I plan on installing a hi-end aftermarket stereo into this truck. I would _like_ to use some existing components:

Alpine CDA-7995 head
Alpine CHA-S634 changer
Alpine PDX-4.150 amp
Infinity Kappa Perfect 6.1 6 1/2 inch component speakers X4
JL Audio 10W7 X2 Sub
JL Audio 1000/1 amp
??? Hybrid capacitor/power control

That's a lot, and the T100 really doesn't have enuf room for everything . . .

Unless . . .

I had thought to rework the space beneath the fold-down rear seats to create a place to mount the amplifiers and changer. Anyone have any suggestions, or been-there-dun-that?

Some sources say 5.25" speakers front and back, some indicate 6.5 will fit in front, some say 5" in back. I pulled the drivers side door panel, and those Kappas aren't gonna fit without an adapter, maybe not even then. Anyone have 1st hand experience fitting aftermarket speakers? 'Specially BIG ones :-)

Previous owner fit a 6 CD changer from a Camry into the OEM slot; nice job, too. Can I assume that whatever OEM brackets lurk behind the bezel offer a standard DIN mounting arrangement?

Anything else to watch for?

TIA for any and all!

ByeBye! S.
Old 11-04-2009, 02:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did it, on my old one, made a box for under the seat, and did some modifications and got 2 tens back there, and you can make 6.5' work as well

Install is straight forward, might involve some cutting, I actually used a sawsall on the back drivers side but made a very good box so didn't loose to much from that, there is plenty of room for tens under the seat and the jack setup would allow to run one with almost No issues, of course jack removed from under passenger back seat
Old 11-05-2009, 03:30 AM

There is lots of room in the side wall of the extra cab. You can easily fit a 6x9 or your amps.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:53 AM

Hi Guys!

Thanx for the words of encouragement. Guess if the weather holds, I'll pull the interior out this weekend and get started.

I already have a pretty good idea of what it's going to take to put the Kappa woofers into the doors; just concerned about the depth of the speaker vs. the window glass. I'll abuse the OEM speaker grilles if I have to, but would rather keep the whole install as "stealth" as possible. The tweeters should fit in the factory spots w/o issues.

Plenty of room in the back, eh? I'd hoped that would be the case. Probably ditch the tiny factory grilles here and use the Infinity ones. Likewise, a tweeter flush mount into the "C" pillar ("B" pillar on a Xcab? Back corner. Whatever.) trim shouldn't present any major challenges.

I'll snap a bunch of fotos as I go along, and try to make them available for the next intrepid audio pile. ;-)

Another nagging question concerns RF susceptibility, but I'll put that in another thread.

HarHarHar! "Beating a dead horse" . . . Luv it; gotta show that one to the missus.

ByeBye! S.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:00 AM

Good photos of the extra cab ripped out here.
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=318517
Old 11-05-2009, 07:21 AM

Hi Zuke79!

Just what I was hoping to find, thanx!

ByeBye! S.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:25 AM

Congrats on your new T labman, welcome to the forum! I am also interested in installing a new audio system on my '97 T100 ext cab, look forward to seeing your fotos, good luck with the install.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:42 AM

If can please post photos of the steps you take to remove the rear panels. This seems to be the biggest PIA and I want to see it done before I do it to my T.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:49 PM

Hi Zuke79!

Will do.

(Now ya got me nervous . . .)

ByeBye! S
Old 12-17-2009, 01:07 PM

Install update, heated seats option?

Hi All!

Back again. Not much to report on the stereo upgrade, except to note that the 6 inch Infinity Kappa Perfect woofer isn't gonna fit into the door w/o heroic efforts. The speaker is large in the magnet area, and quite deep. By the time I spaced it out far enough to clear the window, the cone surround would have been into the plastic cover. So . . .

I picked up a set of 5 1/4 inch Kappa Perfects from an ebay vendor, but it's been too darn cold the last couple weeks to do anything about it. Everything's in a box waiting for the Sun. This being Colorado, it'll come.

I'd like to find some heated seats for the truck. It has the split bench drivers seat. Were these ever available heated? Is there anything else that'll fit? Conversion to buckets OK by me as long as it doesn't involve lots of fab-time. TIA for any suggestions!

ByeBye! S.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by labman
I'd like to find some heated seats for the truck. It has the split bench drivers seat. Were these ever available heated? Is there anything else that'll fit? Conversion to buckets OK by me as long as it doesn't involve lots of fab-time.
I don't believe that any T-100 came with heated seats in a stock configuration. Nothing mentioned in the electrical wiring diagram...and there's no rear window defroster.

You might be able to source some heated Tundra bucket seats and fab those in.

...or else you could just git some heated seat covers...
Old 12-30-2009, 02:57 PM

I thought about doing this, this past weekend. I took a long hard look at it and said.... "Nay-nay" That being said, I will probably try it this weekend, for s and giggles.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:03 AM

I didn't want to alter my 97 extended cab to much so I removed both rear access panels, (under the rear seat) made new panels using the old ones as templates, and even took the carpet off the original panels. I then put an 8" sub on the passenger side, and a 6" sub behind the driver seat. Installed the original carpet and it looks like it came this way from the factory. My head unit is a Pioneer AVIC D3 with navigation and back up camera, totally cool! I was able to put the amp for the subs and front speakers under the passenger seat along with the crossovers for the front tweeters. I thought it turned out very nice. Good luck on your install.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:00 PM

Thanks for the reply. Sounds like a very viable option. In fact, I may want to tackle that this weekend. I just put up four fluorescent bank lights in my garage and want something to do in the garage besides clean it.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:26 AM

seal the area

Make sure you seal all the seams with rtv. I then put in 1/4 insualation every where I could get it, then stuffed the whole area with cotton batting. Essentually you are building a sub box enclosure.