General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stereo/Speaker problem in my 2000 SR5 4Runner

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stereo/Speaker problem in my 2000 SR5 4Runner

Hi all,

I recently installed head unit Pioneer "Premier" DEH-P960MP
and replaced all four speakers with some cheap Pioneer ones, which I'm about
to replace with Infinity's Kappa ones. I also installed a Sub-box and woofer JL Audio amp.

Every so often the sound of all the speakers goes out..., the subwoofer and head unit however stay ON. Then all of the sudden the sound comes ON. I don't know if there's a loose wire that makes all the speakers go ON and OFF. I think the last time the sound came ON was when I hit a bump on the road. I really hope is an installation issue and not my head unit.
I'll take my dash appart and double check each point when I get my new Infinity speakers. In the mean time I thought maybe i'll let you guys know about this issue just in case any of you had any thoughts.

TIA,

maguirre
00' SR5, 5spd
Old 05-22-2006, 02:06 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Houston (home), Atlanta (school), Cincinnati (work)
were you listening to the radio? a cd? what? if it was a cd, maybe its bad skip protection. if it was the radio or something, it could still very well be your HU just being faulty. Does the stock HU support all of that or no? If so, plug it in and test it out. Otherwise you may have to RMA the HU if all connections seem to work.

When you put in the new speakers, if they still do it, try putting the factory HU in and connecting just the speakers to see if they do it. Then youll know the cause...
Old 05-23-2006, 07:00 AM

After I replaced my HU and speakers - I had issues with the factory wiring - no sound all of a sudden. Opened my door and sound is back, closed it and it stayed on for a minute and then cut out. Turned out to be factory wiring - but I never found out where. I assumed that it was a short or a pinch going to one speaker that cut out the entire system - ran new wires and Wallah!!!!! SOUND!!
Old 06-23-2006, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by gpcollen1
After I replaced my HU and speakers - I had issues with the factory wiring - no sound all of a sudden. Opened my door and sound is back, closed it and it stayed on for a minute and then cut out. Turned out to be factory wiring - but I never found out where. I assumed that it was a short or a pinch going to one speaker that cut out the entire system - ran new wires and Wallah!!!!! SOUND!!

Hey,

I think you had my problem...
Sometimes when I close the door all the speakers go out, except for my subwoofer. Then they come back up.
I'll go ahead and change the factory wiring... What speaker wire should I use??
Is it a real pain in the a$$ to do this??
Please advise..

thanks,

maguirre
00' SR5, 5spd
Old 06-27-2006, 06:05 AM

I just finished routing wires through the door. I used a wire clothes hanger to push through the grommet... then I bent the clothes hanger around the wire and pulled back. It helped to lube the grommet up with WD 40... It will get a little frustrating but its worth it at the end. I used a hefty 14 guage wire... but thats a little overkill Im sure... prolly made it harder in the end now that I think about it. So yea. A quick rundown:

1. Take out doorpanel
2. Remove Plastic Lining
3. Take out kick panel
4. Push clothes hanger through grommet
5.Pull clothes hanger out, attatched to the speaker wire
6. route wires
7. re aassemble

Now that I think about it, I read somewhere that people used a 15 inch Zip Tie to push through... I wouldnt know how, but you could search. My directions are a little vague... and depending on whether you have an amp or a headunit powering the speakers will depend on what else you hafta do.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:54 AM

Thanks for the info Shirleyda4Runner,

I'll probably go shopping this weekend for maybe 18 gauge speaker... I don't know, I'll see when I get to the store.
How many feet do you think I'll need to re-wire all 4 doors.??

Please let me know,

TIA,

maguirre
00, SR5, 5spd
Old 07-17-2006, 08:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a 50 foot roll of 16 or 18 should do you well
Old 11-17-2006, 10:15 AM

I ran new speaker wire to solve my "sound" problem... and initially it did.
The sound was good, I also replace my Pioneer speaker with Infinity's Kappa ones.
But now the problem came back... All of a sudden all (4) speakers go out.
I guess I have to consider the possibility that my head unit (Pioneer DEH-P960MP) is faulty.

Please let me know if you guys have any thoughts.

TIA,

maguirre
00' SR5, 5spd