General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear window quit on me - 89 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear window quit on me - 89 4runner

Well my window was working fine one day then a few days later it won't go down. I have been working on it off and on for a couple weeks now and I can't figure it out. I have looked through everything online and have read the cheaptricks site over and over so I coming here for help.

The relay box is NOT clicking I replaced it and it didn't fix anything. i have checked the fuse and I've checked the 2 circuit breakers up front by the kick panel and they were fine. I have completely bypassed the plunger switch and removed it so it isn't that either. The motor is just not getting power. The rear door light comes on every once in a while then it goes back off so that kinda leads me to think that it might have something to do with the door lock detection switch but can you get to it without the tail gate being down?

Please, any help would be great. Thanks

Jon
Old 02-10-2009, 07:49 AM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Sounds like you need to dive into this section of the web page:
- http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTri...leshootingTips

See what signals are not getting to the relay box. Since you say the relays are not clicking, this would mean they are likely not getting energized. And check out the cause of the rear door light being on.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:07 AM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
The relay will not click if the system thinks A. The top is off or B. the rear gate is open.

Two things I would try. First, remove the inner panel on the drivers side, and jumper the wire that plugs into the Top sensor. Basically, make the system think the top is on by bypassing the sensor. If that doesn't work, try the same thing with the gate sensor. That one is drivers side (I think) and attached to the latch. Jumper those wires and see if if operates then. If not, you can rules those two sensors out.

Its odd that the light keeps coming on and shutting off. That tells me either the gate is not shutting all the way, or the sensor is bad/going bad.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:34 PM

4crawler - i have gone to that website and read through the whole thing

DeathCougar - yeah i have already bypassed and removed the plunger switch so i know it's not that...The next thing I'm gonna try is the tail gate switch when it stops storming here and I can get the battery out so i can jump the window motor to get it to roll down. Seems like that's the problem though.

thanks a lot for the help, I'll let you know if that doesn't work
Old 04-10-2009, 07:56 AM

to z28:

I had a similar problem with my '86 4Runner; I would drive around and my DOOR OPEN light would illuminate or at least flicker. During this time (I tolerated it for probably 2 years), I also was never able to use the window switch in the cab unless somebody was pushing in on the tailgate to keep it tightly shut or the stars aligned and it was tight somehow on its own. When I wanted the window down, I had to go to the back of the 4Runner with the key and push the tailgate tight with my shoulder while I turned the key.

This is how I 'fixed' it:

With the tailgate down (may be a challenge to you right now), I took the gate panel off and discovered that the driver's side cable that latches the gate lock was fatigued on one end and was not getting the push-pull tension it needed to latch the left side locked. Solution: I took the cable out and flipped it around. The left side motion was slightly different than the right end side of the cable and it worked. This will probably be a temporary fix, but I figure with my 4Runner being at a young 310,500 miles, the jimmied cable should hang in there for the next two hundred thousand or so.

Another thing to consider: Way back in the day I found out that MY problem with the window switch not working was the position of the rear wiper blade. The clip that held the wiper up when not in motion had broken off mine and it wouldn't stay up without it. My solution was to gently force the wiper arm ABOVE the clip's mount on the shell and lodge it there. This evidently forced the sensor to know the wiper was stowed and the switch was revived. Just yesterday I discovered that my gate stopped working altogether, mysteriously and suddenly, while I was away at work for a couple weeks and the Toyota didn't go anywhere. I'm going to first check the position of the rear wiper, then work my way through 4crawler's list but half of that stuff I don't understand without further explanation.

Anyway, I hope some of this might help you.

Last edited by helikyler; 04-10-2009 at 07:59 AM.