General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High and Low beam HID question

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High and Low beam HID question

So when i originally purchased my first set of HID's (h4 high/low beam) i bought a crappy set and when i went wheelin they kept shutting off on hard bumps and what not. So i went to ddmtunning.com and bought a good quality set for my headlights and put the crappy ones in my 6" spot lights. Anyways the first set i bought when i flicked on my high beams the hid's would stay on and then the halogen high beam would turn on too with it and gave me some extra light. But now that i've installed the new set (New ballast and igniter using same bulbs) when i turn on my high beams the hid's shut off and just the halogens are on, giving me less light. Im wondering what would cause it before to allow high beam and low beam to be on at the same time.
There is no relay kit or anything. If you don't know how these work the halogen part of the bulb just hooks up to your high beam terminal on the headlight harness. Any help would be appreciated . Heres a pic to help with what im running
Old 01-22-2010, 11:56 AM

ok so if im understand right u kept the bulbs from ur old HID kit and installed them with ur ddtuning ballast and well if that is the case the problem that ur running into is that the ddtuning ballast uses a different type of bulb then wat u already have.

Most higher end HID kits dont use the standard halogen for the bright, they use the same HID bulb as the low but the amperage of power is increased. Therefore when u used the old bulbs it cut off power to one and gave more power to the other. U should try to put the new bulbs that came with ur ddtuning ballast to see if it fixes the problem which it should.

Also with ur hitting bumps and the lights turning off or flickering, u should recheck ur ground on the ballasts... my friend didnt bolt the ballast to the frame the first time and it didnt work properly but once he grounded it everything worked amazing after that.

well i hope this helps and i was on the right track of the answer u were looking for. good luck!
Old 01-22-2010, 12:17 PM

The first one's i owned just sucks, they had no names on them and were bolted to the frame just like the new ones. Ive never seen a ballast giving more power to the bulb for high beam. Usually it's like what i have or bi-xenon to re angle them higher up. Since i got an HD camera for x-mas i thought id show a video of whats happening.

I have no idea why its posting 2 videos
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xocfRsLRLWU[/YOUTUBE]
Old 01-22-2010, 12:27 PM

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by xskydivingdudex
ok so if im understand right u kept the bulbs from ur old HID kit and installed them with ur ddtuning ballast and well if that is the case the problem that ur running into is that the ddtuning ballast uses a different type of bulb then wat u already have.

Most higher end HID kits dont use the standard halogen for the bright, they use the same HID bulb as the low but the amperage of power is increased. Therefore when u used the old bulbs it cut off power to one and gave more power to the other. U should try to put the new bulbs that came with ur ddtuning ballast to see if it fixes the problem which it should.

Also with ur hitting bumps and the lights turning off or flickering, u should recheck ur ground on the ballasts... my friend didnt bolt the ballast to the frame the first time and it didnt work properly but once he grounded it everything worked amazing after that.

well i hope this helps and i was on the right track of the answer u were looking for. good luck!

thats not true, there is a shield that moves allowing more light to escape

and If i were you, i would just through those bulbs away, they are garbage!, hate to say it but you wasted your money, if you want highs do a bi xenon retro fit, or just run low beams and use your off road lights as highs
Old 01-22-2010, 12:43 PM

The H4 HID kit I installed is a high low kit. However it does not have a separate halogen bulb, it jus increases or decreases the voltage to the bulbs.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by dannomite
The H4 HID kit I installed is a high low kit. However it does not have a separate halogen bulb, it jus increases or decreases the voltage to the bulbs.
Well i guess i stand corrected, i guess ill have to go out and get some new ones, once i get a job. Whenever that comes
Old 01-22-2010, 01:43 PM

ya like wat dannomite said.
thats wat i was talking bout...
Old 01-22-2010, 05:08 PM

if you modified the ballast i'll believe it because it is possible, but you cannot buy one off the shelf, no one sells it...you have a telescoping bulb, it just moves and lets out more light, there is no extra boost of watts!
Old 01-22-2010, 06:55 PM

Joeynational there are no moving parts on the bulb at all.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:20 PM

Joeynational there are no moving parts on the bulb at all.
put up a link to the one you installed or have..i would like to see this...some guys have done this but it takes some serious modifying and electrical knowledge, if they are out now thats great I would like to buy one!!
Old 01-23-2010, 10:45 AM

So your saying about the bulb getting brighter. Is there a kit Ive never seen that has a signal wire that goes to the brights to let it know to increase power. All the hid's iv seen just hook up to the regular ground and low beam terminals on the headlight harness. Come to think about everything Ive seen just has two wires, no high beam wire, just the ones i have that give power to the halogen.
Old 01-23-2010, 11:48 AM

These are not the exact ones, but they look the same.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/H4-Bi...ht_5760wt_1010

If you look at their explination they talk about how it works. And why it doesn't need a halogen bulb on top of the hid.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:41 PM

These are not the exact ones, but they look the same.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/H4-Bi...ht_5760wt_1010

If you look at their explination they talk about how it works. And why it doesn't need a halogen bulb on top of the hid.
exactly what i said, they are telescoping bulbs, some kits have the bulb move and some the shield..there is NO kit that increases power for highs!

here is how it works
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3ae307K_iQ

Last edited by joeynational; 01-25-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-25-2010, 05:05 PM

Hey N20, I got an extra set of Bixenon that used to be in my runner before i got projectors. They are 6000k telescoping bulbs, they include the wires and I live in portland. I'd be willing to give them up for cheap for a fellow yototech member. Mine are just like the ones in joeys video. Let me know.

Here's a pic

Last edited by SigEp4Runner; 01-25-2010 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only bi xenon type kit available as far as I am concerned is a 4 ballast kit which uses two xenon bulbs in one h4 housing.

I know there are other kits out there like this one as well:

http://www.amazon.com/JLM-Conversion...4949114&sr=1-9

This one shown should not be called a bi xenon kit because it's not. It's a halogen / xenon kit.
It uses a second bulb like a fog lamp h3 bulb. It's misleading and companies put this up as a bi xenon kit they are lying.

The second is a single xenon telescoping bulb using a electromagnet to push it in and out and uses a metal sheild to basically cap the light output.

HID projectors use a similar method with a metal flap that opens and closes allowing more light to pass through the lens from the reflector.

Last edited by 934rnr; 01-31-2010 at 06:10 AM.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:05 PM

I stand corrected. I misunderstood how they worked. Thanks for the info.