General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fog Light Problem (1 On, 1 Off)

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fog Light Problem (1 On, 1 Off)

I wonder if anyone can help me out. I have a fog light problem on a 2000 4Runner SR5. The passenger fog light works properly, but the driver's side light is out. I changed the bulb, though upon inspection, the one that was in there was OK. I suspected the fog light relay might be to blame, so I stopped by Toyota after work to pick up a new one. $65! No way!. So I went home and checked my wiring schematics. As I read the schematics, there is only one wire (pink) that comes from the relay that is split along the way to the lights to power them. Therefore, if that is correct, if one light is on, the relay must not be to blame.
I know I should be checking the ground connection and all that, but I just wonder if anyone has had a similar problem before. Did someone find a pinch point Toyota didn't notice where the wire gets damaged or something? Does anyone know were these wires run or where the ground is made? This stupid problem is driving me crazy and I need to fix it. My skills with reading a wiring schematic are extremely poor, so I don't trust my conclusions.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
023 Front Fog Light.pdf (17.7 KB, 232 views)

Last edited by Tukes; 01-10-2006 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Schematic Added
Old 01-11-2006, 11:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you still put the new one in? And it still didn't work - your post was a little hard to understand
Old 01-11-2006, 12:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I had the same problem and on mine I found the connector by the fog lights was getting corroded, probably by too much road spray. Try unplugging the connector and see if you have power there. If you do the problem is in the light.
Old 01-11-2006, 12:13 PM
Contributing Member

The aftermarket fogs have a lead connecting one to the other, but there's only one positive, only one fuse, and only one relay. From the schematic you posted, you have only one relay, so if one fog is working, then the relay is working. If the filament isn't defective and you've for instance cleaned off the socket to be certain there's no corrosion that's making a bad connection, then my suggestion is that the lead between the fogs is dead, or perhaps the socket isn't getting power due to a short in the back of the housing. Stuff to try at least...
Old 01-11-2006, 12:24 PM

I agree with Photoleif. Your problem is in the circuit from the Pink line to the light that doesn't work. You obviously have voltage at E5 if one light works and you have both lights connected to E5. Check the wires from E5 to the light that doesn't work. Do you have voltage to the light? Are you sure the filament is OK? A few things to check.

One thing you can do is swap the lights to see if it is a light issue or a wiring issue.

I suspect a bad ground....Bad filament...open wire from E5 to bulb or open ground from bulb to E5 (Black line from bulb to GND).
Old 01-11-2006, 12:45 PM

Celica:
Yes, I changed the bulb anyway. Still no good.

Thanks, everyone for the tips.

The connector looked brand new when I changed the bulb in the first place — absolutely no corrosion whatsoever. I have not yet tested to see if there is power coming to the wire, though. I'll do that. As for the ground, there is no connector, so I assume the "socket" is grounded. I'll check into that. The housing is plastic, so if the socket is grounded, there must be a wire or something somewhere. I need to find that and test to see if it is connected.

I hate stuff like this. All the spaces are so small it is really difficult to get your hand or a tool in there and the wires just turn corners and disappear. It is such a stupid B.S. problem, but it is totally driving me nuts.

I don't think I can get in there again (at least while it is light out) until this weekend.

When I figure it out (I WILL figure it out), I'll let you all know what it was. Until then, I welcome and appreciate any further assistance.

Thanks, guys,
Dan
Old 01-12-2006, 02:12 AM

One more quick tip....a ground is no good through paint. If your grounding through a painted surface....this could be a problem. Just thought I would pass this on.

Good luck. You'll get it
Old 01-12-2006, 08:11 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If the connector has 2 wires one will be a ground. Looking at you diagram this is probably the case. The grounds from both lights will connect somewhere and then go to a common ground point, usually on a fender. Bumpers and grills don't make good grounds.

Check for power at the pink wire, and make sure the white/black has continuity to ground.