General Electrical & Lighting Related Topics Ask here for electrical, wiring, and lighting info for your rig that could apply to all years
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auxilary Reverse Lamps?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 06:53 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auxilary Reverse Lamps?

Okay, I have a set of rearward facing roof rack lights, and something particular I want to do with them. I know it can be done but I'm not an electrical expert by any means and I want it done as clean and simple as possible.

What I want is for the reverse lights to come on when the truck is put into reverse(easily done by tapping into the back up lights hot wire, but I want to be able to turn this feature off with a rocker switch in the dash. Can someone explain how this can be done in the most simple way and still be safe. I plan on doing my entire set of rack light all at once and doing it right, a hole right though the roof with all the wires hidden so I want to do it right the first time.

-Scott

HAPPY POLITICALLY CORRECT HOLIDAYS :xmas13:
Old 12-25-2005, 08:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts
Get a Single Pole Double Throw (SPDT) switch, one that is On-Off-On and wire one pole to the reverse light circuit, run the other wire to a 12V source and connect the center of the switch to a relay that powers the lights. Then with the switch one way, the relay (and lights) will come on with the main reverse lights. With the switch in the middle (off) position, nothing will happen and with it in the other on position, the lights will turn on and off with the switch.
Old 12-25-2005, 09:01 PM
Contributing Member

Check this thread...Auxillary Reverse Lights
Old 12-26-2005, 06:51 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks guys, that's what I was looking for. I want to use a Toyota OEM fog light switch just to keep the look clean and stock, but I can hide a On-off-On switch somewhere if that's what is going to work best?
Old 12-26-2005, 09:57 AM
Contributing Member

Summit racing has some rocker switches that look exactly like the toyota oem ones, with the on-off-on positions, even have ones with lights in them.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:09 AM
Contributing Member

another switch option:
http://www.4x4mods.com/Product/Jeep/rockerswitches.html
Old 12-26-2005, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by FilthyRich

I just ordered a rocker switch from that link.

I will post up my observations when I install the switch and lights this weekend.
Old 12-26-2005, 12:05 PM

I did exactly as Roger suggested, with the hot wire being the headlights. So With the switch in reverse light circuit the light only comes on when the headlights are on, and the reverse lamps are on as well (so they don't come on during the day).
Old 12-27-2005, 07:57 AM
Contributing Member

I know this is a shot in the dark but does anyone have a wiring diagram for a 3rd gen so I can find the wires I needd to tap. I'm hoping to be able to get everything I need out of the dorr sill bundel.

Mostly I just need to know what color the headlights wire is, someone was already kind enough to decode the reverse light wire color.
Old 12-27-2005, 09:04 AM

also check west marine for rockers that look stock but have 2 poles
Old 12-27-2005, 01:41 PM

Isn't there a wire coming off the tranny (in the center console area) that you can tap into for switch input? Or is that what you're talking about?
Old 01-02-2006, 06:03 PM

I bought this:
http://www.kchilites.com/store/Switc...m-P362C83.aspx

For my kc lights. I guess if you use a relay too this would work.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:50 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...t=Lighting+FAQ

Links to all sorts of wiring diagrams.

Old 01-02-2006, 09:12 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Stump1883
I know this is a shot in the dark but does anyone have a wiring diagram for a 3rd gen so I can find the wires I needd to tap. I'm hoping to be able to get everything I need out of the dorr sill bundel.

Mostly I just need to know what color the headlights wire is, someone was already kind enough to decode the reverse light wire color.
I used the parking light fuse in the fuse box under the hood.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:58 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Albuquerque Jim
I used the parking light fuse in the fuse box under the hood.
I think there needs to be a "How to wire" for dummies like myself. Somehwo I always managed to flub these things up, the only one I've done right is my IPFs, that's because their wiring harness is brainless, righ up my alley.

Can someone, ANYONE tell me what the three poles are on the back of the Toyota OEM switch, which is hot, ground, and, return/neutral(whatever you call it), I just want these rack lights to work, I can't even get them to work w/o the relay.
Old 01-20-2006, 03:27 PM
Contributing Member

Sorry Wabbit, I know I should have searched, I've been around long enough I should have kown. I just got laszy on my way out of the house to the store to get fueses that I blew when I tried a new combination. I'll serach now that I'm home and see what I can come up with, but if you can post up the shot when you get a chance, just in case. Thanks again.
Old 01-20-2006, 05:32 PM
Banned

OKAY...here you go newbie. You owe me. Took me 30 seconds to find this pic searching on YT...it is off Corey's page. The pic shows the prongs and which is which.

Old 01-20-2006, 06:26 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks bud , I got your coming to ya in May. Just let me know your favorite and I'll be sure it's there.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
OKAY...here you go newbie. You owe me. Took me 30 seconds to find this pic searching on YT...it is off Corey's page. The pic shows the prongs and which is which.

hey noob,

the problem w/ referencing corey's pic above is that the hot wire in corey's install is sourced to his aux fuse box (located in his engine bay). thus, it does not address scott's original goal of tapping into the rear parking brake light.

now back to scott:

however in defense of waskilly (however difficult it may be...his ego is galatic ), the pic he posted, in my opinion, is the more efficient and simpler way to do it. im presuming you want this switched for a reason---that you dont want this to come on all the time when you hit reverse. So what's the difference between you putting the thing in reverse and then hitting the switch anyways? i can see some limited value, but in my view, just do it like corey (and me): install an aux fuse box and tap that as your power source. then you'll have some future flexibility to easily add other 12v accessories without much effort

in addition to corey's writeup, mine is in the tech section under "electrical". its for hella 500s, but its the same, exact wiring principle

bob
Old 01-20-2006, 07:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
hey noob,

the problem w/ referencing corey's pic above is that the hot wire in corey's install is sourced to his aux fuse box (located in his engine bay). thus, it does not address scott's original goal of tapping into the rear parking brake light.

now back to scott:

however in defense of waskilly (however difficult it may be...his ego is galatic ), the pic he posted, in my opinion, is the more efficient and simpler way to do it. im presuming you want this switched for a reason---that you dont want this to come on all the time when you hit reverse. So what's the difference between you putting the thing in reverse and then hitting the switch anyways? i can see some limited value, but in my view, just do it like corey (and me): install an aux fuse box and tap that as your power source. then you'll have some future flexibility to easily add other 12v accessories without much effort

in addition to corey's writeup, mine is in the tech section under "electrical". its for hella 500s, but its the same, exact wiring principle

bob
He asked for the switch poles...so that is what I gave him.

And it is "GALACTIC" ego Bob!

With reverse lights I wired mine to be one w/ reverse or manually. They always come on w/ reverse, but you can switch them on manually otherwise I think is the idea. The link I posted has a PDF for exactly how to do it as that is how mine worked...came on w/ reverse, but I could manually turn them on too. But I cheated, I just bought the KC wiring kit!