Alarm Systems Discussion related to installation, diagnostics, and purchasing of alarm systems

car alarm

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2006, 03:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car alarm

looking for a decent car alarm under ther 150 dollar range. i really dont know anything about them so any advice will help.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The best advice I can give you is to SEARCH - I used "car alarm" and "car alarms" (use the quotes) and got a ton of hits.

You'll find people here that like anything that you can think of; i.e., everyone has an opinion and there's some crossover.

A while ago we had a group purchase of a system from Commando (the FM870) and there are now a few of those around. Using "commando" as a search term will get you a couple of discussion threads that talked about that system and others.

Viper, Python, DEI (who makes Viper and Python), Commando... it generally all depends on how much _extra_ you want to spend to line a dealer's pockets in terms of markup.
Old 08-21-2006, 04:42 PM

I had an alarm fitted to my 90 model 4runner AFTER the window was smashed and a whole heap of stuff stolen out of it :pat: Went for the first alarm i could find. Can't remember off the top of my head what brand it is think it might have been Vision. But well I live on a main road and every time a truck goes past the vibration makes the door open warning buzzer go off which is annoying during the night and i washed out my engine bay after being in the mud and got water in the tweeter and the alarm didn't sound for two days until it dried out. Sounded like a strangled bird !
Old 08-21-2006, 10:28 PM

i was looking on circuit city and they have a cheap alarm for 70 dollars i know thats preaty cheap and probably not the best but it is made my dei so im wondering if its still any good considering its made by the company that makes python alarms
Old 08-21-2006, 10:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
slamm,

how the heck can anyone give you an informed opinion based on what you wrote above?

as midiwall said, use the search feature to do some research on alarms that other members have used. you will learn more in an hour or two by reading the numerous threads than the two vague questions you posted today.

bob
Old 08-21-2006, 11:25 PM

ok this is whats going on im looking for a decent car alarm for under $150 that i dont have to install myself im very bad at wiring and have none of the correct tools to do it except electrical tape which is not a good tool. im in need of this because my truck was broke into last night. i was looking at the hornet alarm on circuit city that is only like $80 and was wondering how good it was because it is made by dei which also makes most major car alarm systems. i would look for something alot nicer if i could find someone that knows what there doing and could help me install it myself.
Old 08-21-2006, 11:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
slamm,

ah, this is getting frustrating....

first, do yourself a favor for everyone and provide a model number. without it, its like saying "im going to buy that toyota truck for $29k...is it any good?" get it?

also, if you are not skilled with wiring, electrical, etc, don't make an alarm install your first project. it sounds like you are short on cash and pissed off (rightly so) from the theft. dont compound the problem by diving into an alarm system that you probbaly will have a helluva time installing w/o some at-your-side help. my recommendation is to get it installed.

there are other ways you can cheaply protect your vehicle from theft than an alarm system. a kill switch is one example.

bob
Old 08-22-2006, 05:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Bob_98SR5
there are other ways you can cheaply protect your vehicle from theft than an alarm system. a kill switch is one example.
Yeup...

One of the things that I've brought up in many of the other alarm threads is that if someone wants your ride, they'll get it. An alarm won't really stop someone from walking up to the truck, smacking a window and grabbing the iPod in the front seat (or whatever). Think of the last time you called the cops when you heard an alarm go off.

If it stops them from driving off in the truck, that's only 'cause the alarm had an ignition kill circuit in it... which, as Bob said, you can do yourself for the price of a switch (figure $3).
Old 08-22-2006, 01:24 PM

so ive been looking around and found some ok alarms but im really interested in the commando 870 that most of u guys have. i may not be a wiring master but if i could find someone on here that lives near me that would be willing to help install in that would be great. i have to check out a few other things before i can purchase an alarm. get the tires to stop rubbing is a bit more important at the moment since it is shredding my tires and i dont know exactly how much thats going to be.
Old 08-23-2006, 03:35 PM

look into viper or any other related DEI products. they function really great, and also looks great and compact.

alarm is only as good as installation.