General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Toyota needs body work...

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 04:50 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Toyota needs body work...

This summer I plan to take care of the rust on the body and frame of my '86 4rnr. I've already decided to use fiberglass fill on the big holes on the quarter panels over the tires....make like my own custom fender flares. But, I wondered how to take care of the pitting so that when I paint over it the pitting doesn't show through. Just sand down to bare smooth metal? It just seem like I'd have to take off alot of metal that way. Any suggestions?

Also, I read the thread on using rustoleum (aka tremclad) to repaint. That's definitely what I'm going to do! But, I've read, and rustoleum also claims, that you can paint directly over rust. Anyone with experience on doing this?
Old 02-10-2007, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm no expert but I wouldn't paint over rust. As for the pitted areas, remove the rust with a wire brush or wheel and skim over the surface with spot putty. At least that's the method I'm familiar with.
Old 02-10-2007, 06:35 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Search for POR-15. It totally encapsulates the rust so it won't spread.
Old 02-11-2007, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Hoopster
I'm no expert but I wouldn't paint over rust. As for the pitted areas, remove the rust with a wire brush or wheel and skim over the surface with spot putty. At least that's the method I'm familiar with.

Yeah, I understand your thinking there. But, what's your experience. I mean, I've been reading this mopar site wherein the fellow did paint directly over rust with no peeling, etc. after years. As far as the putty, do you mean bondo?

Anyone had experience using fiberglass in the above application? I already have a gallon of that, so I'm interested if it would do the same.

Originally Posted by tc
Search for POR-15. It totally encapsulates the rust so it won't spread.
Oh, I've read about that stuff for years....heard mixed results. Even if it is/was the best, I can't afford it...lol!

Thanks, guys!
Old 02-11-2007, 06:52 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can't help you with the rust...but here is an alternative to the tremclad. Supposed to be easier to apply with better looks. Read away. http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57181
Old 02-11-2007, 07:22 AM

heres the guy that did the roll on paint starts about 5 posts down
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/...0&fpart=1&vc=1
Old 02-11-2007, 08:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't paint over rust unless it's treated with POR 15 or something.

Body work and a good looking paint job it all in the prep. So prep it right!!
Old 02-11-2007, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Kyle95sr5
Can't help you with the rust...but here is an alternative to the tremclad. Supposed to be easier to apply with better looks. Read away. http://ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57181

Wow...that stuff is quite a bit pricier than rustoleum. The fellow's paint does look real good, though. Thanks for the tip, Kyle.

Thanks Cymon...that's the thread I've been reading for the past several days...lol! I've been biting my nails waiting for warm weather since.

Why not paint over rust with rustoleum? Obviously loose debris is not going to hold paint, but what is your experience? I'm seriously considering using the rust converter first anyway. But, if I don't have to then I don't have to. Cut some of my cost..you know?

Prep? You're talking to a Virgo here.....I'm all about detail! If I can make it look good, I will. Thanks for the pointer.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:38 AM

I did this to my bed last summer. I cut out all the rusted metal then shaped and welded in all new panels. Once I got all the welds smooth, I roughed it in with fiberglass and then smoothed it out with bondo. I'll take some pictures of the results if you wanna see what it looks like.
Old 02-11-2007, 02:28 PM

Hell yes! that would be fabulous! I can't thank you enough!
Old 02-11-2007, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by thook
Wow...that stuff is quite a bit pricier than rustoleum. The fellow's paint does look real good, though. Thanks for the tip, Kyle.

Thanks Cymon...that's the thread I've been reading for the past several days...lol! I've been biting my nails waiting for warm weather since.

Why not paint over rust with rustoleum? Obviously loose debris is not going to hold paint, but what is your experience? I'm seriously considering using the rust converter first anyway. But, if I don't have to then I don't have to. Cut some of my cost..you know?

Prep? You're talking to a Virgo here.....I'm all about detail! If I can make it look good, I will. Thanks for the pointer.
Because the rust will come through and you'll have to do it again.
I've restored my fair share of cars and I highly believe in doing it once and doing it right.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:09 AM

Fair enough. Rust converter then?
Old 02-12-2007, 10:31 AM

B-b-b-b-bump!

BTW, Anthony....how did you get your hands on a hilux? I did some searching and nothing seems available except in foreign countries. I know about the regulations here and all, just wondered how you managed to get one.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:34 AM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Some people call the pre-Taco trucks Hilux's. I think Hiilux was also a trim package (kinda like "Silverado").

I think officially, the "pre-Taco" trucks were called "Compact Truck".
Old 02-12-2007, 10:40 AM

It's not a real Hilux, I just call it one. Many Toyota people around here call the Pre 84 trucks a Hilux so I just hopped on the band wagon lol.

Personally, if it was me, I'd grind/sand/whatever all the rust out/off and go from there.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:41 AM

Okay, that's nice to know. Every since I've been reading about Toyota diesels I've been curious. (The veggie oil idea has me very interested. Not to mention all the plus's with diesels.) I just assumed Hilux also meant diesel.

At whatever point I needed to replace my 22re, I thought about...well...a diesel.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by Yota Tony
It's not a real Hilux, I just call it one. Many Toyota people around here call the Pre 84 trucks a Hilux so I just hopped on the band wagon lol.

Personally, if it was me, I'd grind/sand/whatever all the rust out/off and go from there.
Yeah, I hear you. There's just some places that I think I'd need a sandblaster to really effectively deal with rust like that. Honestly, I'm hoping for more convenient and economic solutions (like just using rust converter with a brush or spray)...considering I'd have to rent the blaster and buy sand. Not to mention the mess.

Is there any way to loosen the body to lift it up from the frame in the rear without having to completely remove the body....and consequently the motor and a bunch of other components? The vehicle in question is the '86 you see in my avatar.
Old 02-12-2007, 10:54 AM
Contributing Member

the mopar thread is interesting... might be the way to go with the paint
Old 02-12-2007, 11:03 AM

I'm gonna do it. I can get what I need materials-wise for just under $40. For a very decent paint job and rust control, it's right up my alley. Not to mention, the reds they have are real freckin' close to the Toyota paint....and alot more durable. Altough, after 21yrs, I suppose the original paint has actually held up pretty well.

Last edited by thook; 02-12-2007 at 11:05 AM.
Old 02-12-2007, 11:07 AM
Contributing Member

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/...0&fpart=8&vc=1

There are more pics of the red in this thread

Quick Reply: Toyota needs body work...