General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

removing airbags

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
removing airbags

Ok, so I have searched through the forums and I could not find anything about this. I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the legality of permanently removing airbags from their rig. I have some plans for my 98 4runner and I need to remove at least my passenger side airbag(will remove drivers side at later time).
Old 11-05-2010, 12:05 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
may i ask y ?
Old 11-05-2010, 12:19 AM

Going to make an larger glove box (custom finberglass work) add in some more power points. And I am going to mount a 110v inverter so I can plug in my laptop (have some custom GPS softwear for it for when I go back country)
Old 11-05-2010, 02:01 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
According to Uncle Sam's website it is illegal:
Gov't car rules link FAQ

Since 1972, manufacturers, distributors, dealers and motor vehicle repair businesses have been prohibited from knowingly "making inoperative" any part of a device or element of design that has been installed on or in a motor vehicle in compliance with a Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS). Examples of such modifications include removing airbags, modifying door latches or reducing available crush space. On February 27, 2001, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) published a Final Rule that provides limited exemptions to this "make inoperative prohibition." These exemptions are available to businesses and individuals who modify vehicles to accommodate persons with disabilities either as drivers or as passengers.

This article was written to answer questions raised about the Final Rule by the National Mobility Equipment Dealers Association, a trade group representing modifiers of vehicles for people with disabilities. This article provides information on how to use the allowed exemptions and how to comply with the record keeping, labeling and consumer disclosure requirements of the regulation. A list of exemptions is at the end of the article. A question and answer format is used for easy access. Explanations of why specific exemptions were or were not included in the Final Rule are not included here. However, this information can be found in the preambles to the Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM) and the Final Rule. Those documents can be found at:

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/...mkinop.fr.html, for the NPRM, and
http://dmses.dot.gov/docimages/pdf60/123015_web.pdf, for the Final Rule.

Some of the answers to the questions contain references to Letters of Interpretation (a.k.a. "interps") previously issued by the agency. These references contain the last name of the person to whom the letter was addressed, date the letter was issued, and a link for that letter on the NHTSA web site. You can find all of the Letters of Interpretation at http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/interps/.

Terms used to describe types of businesses regulated by NHTSA:

Manufacturer means a person or business manufacturing or assembling motor vehicles or motor vehicle equipment or importing motor vehicles or motor vehicle equipment for resale.

Alterer means a person or business making changes to a certified vehicle. These changes do not include the addition, substitution, or removal of readily attachable components, such as mirrors or tire and rim assemblies. Nor do they include minor finishing operations such as painting. "Alterer" also means a person or business who alters a certified vehicle in such a manner that its stated weight ratings are no longer valid. All of these changes are made before the first purchase of the vehicle in good faith for purposes other than resale.

Repair business means a person or business holding itself out to the public to repair for compensation a motor vehicle or motor vehicle equipment. This term includes businesses that receive compensation for servicing vehicles without malfunctioning or broken parts or systems by adding or removing features or components to or from those vehicles or otherwise customizing those vehicles. Note that a "modifier", as the term is commonly used in the industry making vehicles accessible to persons with disabilities is considered a repair business by NHTSA.

One of the custom shops, westcoast customs I think, from "pimp my ride" was fined for air bag removal.

there are plenty of places to mount an inverter and power outlets in a 4runner with out compromisings the safety of your passenger and yourself.

Airman: Don't do it.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:28 AM

Thanks for the info ocdropzone. Removing the airbags will be the last thing I do. I was just wondering for when I get back to the states and turn this in to my trail/hunting rig. It is currently my daily driver
Old 11-05-2010, 03:29 AM
Contributing Member

You need to know your states specific law. Many states clearly say it's legal for owners to 'remove airbag voluntary', most have nothing, but a couple (CA being one) follow the vague federal law as being illegal.

Worst case scenario...
You have a passenger or let a friend borrow your vehicle...and in the event of death or serious injury to an occupant, it's determined the result was of 'owner knowingly removed airbag'. Any insurance claim will be denied (regardless of state) and you'll likely be sued instead and/or fined by fed law.

In other words, mod your truck how you want and if your still concerned, contact nhtsa.com, your local DOT and your insurance company to comply.
Old 11-06-2010, 09:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't some cars have a 'turn off airbags' switch somewhere on the dash, intended to prevent pulverized children?

I think you'd be fine, particularly if you placed a warning label on the dash area so that a person borrowing the car would know that there is no airbag on the passenger side. Fair warning, informed consent, and all that. Make a label with a cool skull and crossbones or a guy going through a windshield or something
Old 11-06-2010, 08:39 PM
Contributing Member

Your insurance company will also have issues if no airbags are present when they inspect the vehicle after an accident.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:17 PM

Ramstein rocks!!
Old 11-07-2010, 02:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i would do it. just unplug it and be careful pulling it out those things can go off with a vengance, look up air bag pranks on you tube, cool idea though ive never had bags in any car because i like my old junk and dont but new stuff. post up some pics when you do it