General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Mobil1 SuperSyn Extended Performance...Would you go 10k+ between oil changes?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 02:58 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mobil1 SuperSyn Extended Performance...Would you go 10k+ between oil changes?

I've been using Mobil1 SuperSyn for a couple of years now with a Mobil1 filter. I usually go 5000 miles between oil changes. This time all they had was the extended performance filter so I figured I'd give the extended performance oil a try as well. The bottle says "guaranteed engine protection for 15,000 miles." I have a really hard time believing this. That's a long time and seems awfully risky. I know there's alot of Amsoil users on here and it's pretty much the same....leave it in there forever. How has it worked out for you? Are there any risks in going 10k between oil changes even if they say it's ok? Later.

Matt
Old 01-13-2006, 06:31 PM

I was wondering the same thing. I'll be putting mobile 1 in mine tommorrow for the 1st time since my swap. I think I'll let it go for about 7000 before I change it again. If I was you I wouldn't go more than 10k without an oil change but I've heard that the synthetic oils don't break down and gum up like regular oil.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been going 10K on my Taurus with regular Mobile 1. I change the oil filter and top-up at 5K. NAPA gold filter.
Old 01-13-2006, 07:12 PM
Contributing Member

I've read through the oil change interval post numerous times b/c I felt the same as you. After PMing a few of the individuals that have been doing this for a number of years w/ their trucks and knowing that I don't use my truck as hard as they do, I'm trying it w/ Amsoil. My only concern is that I have only owned the truck for six months so I'll check every 3k miles to make sure my truck is not burning oil.

I will also swap out my OEM filter w/ a long-life Amsoil one.

If Porsche and BMW have 15k mile oil change intervals, why can't my Yota...
Old 01-13-2006, 09:25 PM

I must be old school or something because I think going longer than 5K miles between oil changes is just too long, and if I'm going to change my oil that frequently then the reasons for wanting synthetic (takes longer to break down, for example) don't exist anymore, not to mention that they are too expensive to justify changing the oil that often.

The best oil is clean oil, so if you change your oil often (I try to every 3K miles - about 3 months of driving for me), you are removing the #1 cause of wear in your engine - DIRT. I don't care if you're using the most expensive synthetic oil brand available, it still gets dirty.

If you change your oil often, you can use the cheapest brand out there and your motor will last forever.

There's just no reason to spend big bucks on fancy schmancy oil, IMO.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:37 AM
Contributing Member

On a stock engine dino oil might be fine but synthetic is a major difference and improvement over cheap oil when running high combustion temps and forced induction especially turbos. Synthetic oils have a much more temperature tolerances when superheated and syn oil pours better than conventional oil when well belowe zero so cold startups are much easier on the engine.

Fancy schmancy oil is a good thing in vehicles that will be stressed or used beyond normal driving so spending a bit more for the lifeblood of your motor doesn't bother me one bit plus changing the oil every 8 months (which is about 8k miles) or so for me is worth the peace of mind that lubrication isn't an issue.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:29 AM

I change my oil every 3000
but I like to use all the RPMs
5000 seems like a long time---but is what toyota recommends
Old 01-14-2006, 08:36 AM

5 years ago I had a '99 Ford Ranger that I used Amsoil in.
I used 5w-30 ran it 6 months, changed the filter and added 1 quart, and ran it another 6 months (total of about 12,000 miles).
When I drained the oil after a year, I only got 4 quarts out of it. (it held 5 quarts). For a truck with 10,000 miles on it to burn or vaporize 2 quarts of oil in a year in unacceptable to me.
Also, my truck developed a tick, tick, tick shortly before I drained out the Amsoil.
Personally, Im not a believer in extended drain intervals. I run it 3,000 miles and change it.
I dont care how good an oil is, the dirt is going to build up inside that engine if you dont change oil regularly and is going to cause problems eventually.
Im all for synthetic because of the advantages. In the Ranger I had, I went from 18 mpg highway on 10w-30 Mobil Drive Clean to 22-24 mpg highway with 5w-30 Amsoil. When I went back to Mobil Drive Clean 10w-30, it dropped back to 18 mpg.
Ive got an F-150 now and it leaks oil so bad that I dont run synthetic in it for that reason. If it leaks a little dino oil, it will leak more with synthetic.

Last edited by Captain_Toyota; 01-14-2006 at 08:38 AM.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:12 AM

Filtration, Filtration, Filtration! longer oil change intervals relies on two things:
the oil: it needs to avoid breakdown and have a more aggressive additive package to last throughout the longer interval.
the filter: It needs to have a high capacity to be able to continuously catch the contamination circulating throughout the system without clogging and bypassing.
If there is any doubt, change the oil filter halfway through your 10k miles. Filtration engineers have long realized that this is an excellent way to supplement a long change interval, but also that the general public in the American automotive aftermarket will not consent to the extra work and cost between changes. We're stubborn that way, the same way we are with the obsolete 3k mile oil change, which we refuse to let go of despite soaring oil costs and questionable future oil availability.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:23 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Captain_Toyota
5 years ago I had a '99 Ford Ranger that I used Amsoil in.
I used 5w-30 ran it 6 months, changed the filter and added 1 quart, and ran it another 6 months (total of about 12,000 miles).
When I drained the oil after a year, I only got 4 quarts out of it. (it held 5 quarts). For a truck with 10,000 miles on it to burn or vaporize 2 quarts of oil in a year in unacceptable to me.
Also, my truck developed a tick, tick, tick shortly before I drained out the Amsoil.
Personally, Im not a believer in extended drain intervals. I run it 3,000 miles and change it.
I dont care how good an oil is, the dirt is going to build up inside that engine if you dont change oil regularly and is going to cause problems eventually.
Im all for synthetic because of the advantages. In the Ranger I had, I went from 18 mpg highway on 10w-30 Mobil Drive Clean to 22-24 mpg highway with 5w-30 Amsoil. When I went back to Mobil Drive Clean 10w-30, it dropped back to 18 mpg.
Ive got an F-150 now and it leaks oil so bad that I dont run synthetic in it for that reason. If it leaks a little dino oil, it will leak more with synthetic.
I had a 1996 ford taurus and in the manual it stated that the engine may burn up to a quart of oil every 3000 miles. I put about 6000 miles on my 4Runner a year and it HAS NEVER burned oil and I do use Mobil1 Synthetic. It is almost as clean coming out as it was going in. I check it at least twice a month out of habit.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:06 PM

I would say 10k would be the highest I'd be willing to go.
That being said, I'm barely putting 6k/yr on my rigs so I'll go with Mobile 1 for a year with a switch of the filter at 6 months.

I'm pretty comfortable with that since we only use our rigs as DDs.
Old 01-15-2006, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by jct61765
I had a 1996 ford taurus and in the manual it stated that the engine may burn up to a quart of oil every 3000 miles. I put about 6000 miles on my 4Runner a year and it HAS NEVER burned oil and I do use Mobil1 Synthetic. It is almost as clean coming out as it was going in. I check it at least twice a month out of habit.
Yeah, Ive heard the claim that burning 1 quart every 3000 miles is normal according to Ford.
Maybe I was spoiled by the Toyotas Ive owned that had well over 200,000 miles on them and never burnt a drop of oil, but to me ANY oil consumption on a new vehicle is unacceptable.
If my $400 Honda lawnmower (thats air-cooled and spins at 3500 rpm all the time)doesnt burn oil, theres no reason why a $24,000 Ford Ranger should burn oil (liquid-cooled, and seldom ever ran above 3,000 rpm).
My brother runs Amsoil in his '99 F-250 SD and his uses oil too. He usually has to add 1 quart every 3000 miles.
He used to run Mobil 1 and before that he used Mobil Drive Clean, it never burnt a drop of oil with either of those oils, but now that he started using Amsoil it burns oil. Not good, IMO

Last edited by Captain_Toyota; 01-15-2006 at 05:22 AM.
Old 01-15-2006, 06:14 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Captain_Toyota
Yeah, Ive heard the claim that burning 1 quart every 3000 miles is normal according to Ford.
Maybe I was spoiled by the Toyotas Ive owned that had well over 200,000 miles on them and never burnt a drop of oil, but to me ANY oil consumption on a new vehicle is unacceptable.
If my $400 Honda lawnmower (thats air-cooled and spins at 3500 rpm all the time)doesnt burn oil, theres no reason why a $24,000 Ford Ranger should burn oil (liquid-cooled, and seldom ever ran above 3,000 rpm).
My brother runs Amsoil in his '99 F-250 SD and his uses oil too. He usually has to add 1 quart every 3000 miles.
He used to run Mobil 1 and before that he used Mobil Drive Clean, it never burnt a drop of oil with either of those oils, but now that he started using Amsoil it burns oil. Not good, IMO
So w/ Mobil 1, he didn't burn oil but with Amsoil it does? Why does he continue to use Amsoil? I'm curious as this is my first go around w/ any type of syn in any of my vehicles. As I said earlier, I'll check every 3 months, which for me should be less than 3k mileage anyway.