General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Consumer Reports tire test '05

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 11:56 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Consumer Reports tire test '05

[/B]

Getting my set of Nittos in a few days.
Old 10-22-2005, 12:30 PM
Contributing Member

Wow that's interesting. I was acutally considering the Nitto's before I bought my Revo's...
Old 10-22-2005, 12:33 PM

Where's the BFG AT KO?

4Peanut
Old 10-22-2005, 01:25 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4Peanut
Where's the BFG AT KO?

4Peanut
Apparantly no better than #14

BFGs are great off road but in my experiences fell short in daily driving duties;my Yokohama Geolandars were much better all around tires especially their resistance to hydroplaning at highway speeds and that's where the BFGs on my girlfriend's '94 Toy didn't exactly inspire confidence. Plus the price on an AT KO is quite a bit more compared to most of those tires on that list. Expensive doesn't always mean better.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:17 PM

What kind of tire test was that?
Old 10-22-2005, 10:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by X-AWDriver
Apparantly no better than #14

BFGs are great off road but in my experiences fell short in daily driving duties;my Yokohama Geolandars were much better all around tires especially their resistance to hydroplaning at highway speeds and that's where the BFGs on my girlfriend's '94 Toy didn't exactly inspire confidence. Plus the price on an AT KO is quite a bit more compared to most of those tires on that list. Expensive doesn't always mean better.
A BFG KO is NOT a BFG Rugged Trail TA!

Frankly im surprised that the Rugged Trail did a well as it did....crappy tire imo. The KO would be right around the revo from the reviews with perhaps less wet traction.

What I was REALLY looking for was a the Michellen X Radial LTs in there... That one should be top 2 considering this is an onroad test...

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 10-22-2005 at 10:39 PM.
Old 10-22-2005, 11:05 PM
Banned

yeai was looking at a set of nittos before i found an excellent deal on my bfg mts
Old 10-22-2005, 11:10 PM
Contributing Member

ya why didnt they let the BFG all terrains play? oh i know why, they'd knock everybody off the charts for performance. noise? just turn the stereo up louder
Old 10-23-2005, 02:01 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Glenn
What kind of tire test was that?
There probably never was a test.

Consumer Reports is not much to judge from unless your a sucker for popularity. They are as dishonest as you can get. Theres been stories about them getting paid $$$ by car manufactures to increase ratings on specific vehicals which they actually did. I think 80% or less that everything C.R. says/reports is inaccurate. I'll agree it's a half way decent source to go by but i don't read or see any of it as completely truthful. Theres much better websites out there to get honest reviews from. For example: If your looking for tires, go to website tire links/stores/forums and read the reviews. If your looking for electronics, go to the appropriate sites.

Also, did ya know anyone can email C.S. and give a great review (even if it was horrible) about ANYTHING and their next product report on your given review will most likely be favored? Try it for yourself. Just imagine how that can come into play with all the reports C.S. does! Where do you think they get a majority of their info from? Ever notice how all the millions of dollars in products they "test" that they never give real life evidence or accounts to support the findings?
Some of the reports/tests may be legit but others are based on nothing more than greed. Just be cautious of those fancy little C.S. graphs and do some of your own research before relaying on a giant corporation.

I receive(d) both the Consumer Reports magazine and the yearly Buyer's Guides but use(d) them as a vague reference only.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:22 AM
Banned

as i used to work in the tire industry, i found in personal experience, that tests that come out like that are crap.....
Old 10-23-2005, 11:55 AM
Contributing Member

if the Rugged Trails even made the list its a horrible "test". I mean come on, those tires suck!
Old 10-23-2005, 02:26 PM

has anyone had any experience with these nitto terras?

Last edited by peacefrog81; 10-23-2005 at 02:28 PM.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:37 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by peacefrog81
bamachem, WT
Old 10-23-2005, 05:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
it says $97 for the tire...for what size? ...i was looking at discount tire's site and the price is REDICULUS on them...more than revos....
Old 10-23-2005, 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by peacefrog81

i have 265/75/16's on my truck now. ...they seem to balance well...however, they are hard as a rock and have a 500 treadwear rating i think. ....probably not too good in the rocks.. but they shine in light mud.

the only thing i don't like about them is they don't look very aggressive.

overall, i'm pleased.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:25 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Originally Posted by rocket
There probably never was a test.

Consumer Reports is not much to judge from unless your a sucker for popularity. They are as dishonest as you can get. Theres been stories about them getting paid $$$ by car manufactures to increase ratings on specific vehicals which they actually did. I think 80% or less that everything C.R. says/reports is inaccurate. I'll agree it's a half way decent source to go by but i don't read or see any of it as completely truthful. Theres much better websites out there to get honest reviews from. For example: If your looking for tires, go to website tire links/stores/forums and read the reviews. If your looking for electronics, go to the appropriate sites.

Also, did ya know anyone can email C.S. and give a great review (even if it was horrible) about ANYTHING and their next product report on your given review will most likely be favored? Try it for yourself. Just imagine how that can come into play with all the reports C.S. does! Where do you think they get a majority of their info from? Ever notice how all the millions of dollars in products they "test" that they never give real life evidence or accounts to support the findings?
Some of the reports/tests may be legit but others are based on nothing more than greed. Just be cautious of those fancy little C.S. graphs and do some of your own research before relaying on a giant corporation.

I receive(d) both the Consumer Reports magazine and the yearly Buyer's Guides but use(d) them as a vague reference only.
Exactly.
Consider the source of their information, and you can draw certain conclusions about their "data".
Old 10-24-2005, 10:29 AM
Banned

I had them before the MT/R's.

They were AWESOME. If I had AT's, then I'd have Terra Grapplers. PERIOD.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by bamachem
I had them before the MT/R's.

They were AWESOME. If I had AT's, then I'd have Terra Grapplers. PERIOD.
How many miles did you get out of them? For an A/T, how well did they perform in mud....did they clean out ok?
Old 10-24-2005, 10:53 AM
Banned

I ran them for something like 25k and they still looked new - seriously.

They did VERY well in mud for an AT. Not as good as something designed for mud, but for and AT, they are an EXCELLENT off-road tire with good street manners and good wear.
Old 10-24-2005, 11:14 AM
Contributing Member

Is anybody else predicting the next "hot tire" on YT??

Quick Reply: Consumer Reports tire test '05