General Vehicle Related Topics (Non Year Related) If topic doesn't apply to Toyotas whatsoever, it should be in Off Topic

Clutch Master Cyclinder

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clutch Master Cyclinder

About a few weeks ago i noticed that my clutch pedal was getting an excessive amount of free play in the top. It got worse and worse than it got to be a pain to shift at time. I decided since neither the clutch master nor the slave cyclinder were leaking that i would start with the slave cyclinder first. I did that and the pedal was the same as before and now it got much worse. So it must be the clutch master cyclinder i'm thinking. I have hardly any pedal left. I was thinking that if the clutch master cyclinder was bad that i would be losing fluid than i thought that when a brake master cyc. goes bad you don't always leak fluid. I haven't lost any fluid at all. Does this sound like the clutch master ? The truck is a 93 and it had the original slave cyclinder on it and has the original clutch master cyc. I ordered a new clutch master and hopefully it comes in soon. Where does everyone thread the bracket on the end of the rod to ? near the end i take it ? Thanks.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:06 PM
Contributing Member

When my clutch MC went, there is very little evidence of any fluid leak from the reservoir. What I did notice was that there as a slow leak from the MC rod. Initially, I didn't think anything of it, but over time air probably was able to get into the system. I finally changed out the MC and I haven't had a problem with hard shifting since then. Make sure you bench bleed the MC before doing the SC.

Troy
Old 10-13-2005, 05:25 PM

We basically have the same thoughts. Bench bleeding is going to be fun, I'm at school so i don't have a vice. I think that i'm going to mount it in the truck than have someone pump the pedal why i cover the hole with my thumb than after that i'll hook the line up and bleed at the slave.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:40 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Jmunk
We basically have the same thoughts. Bench bleeding is going to be fun, I'm at school so i don't have a vice. I think that i'm going to mount it in the truck than have someone pump the pedal why i cover the hole with my thumb than after that i'll hook the line up and bleed at the slave.
That's what I did. There's no need for a vise if you can do it in the truck. I tried covering the hole with my thumb and fluid sprayed everywhere. I used a brass fitting and bent a short line into the mouth of the reservoir and pumped until there were no bubbles. It worked very well.

Troy